“very reasonably priced luxury, quiet, artsy, next to LAX and car rentals”

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel
Ranked #63 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Jose, California
“very reasonably priced luxury, quiet, artsy, next to LAX and car rentals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed for only one night and was very impressed. Valet wanted to take car, however only needed to check into the room and then take car to Hertz: no problem, just leave the key for safety with them. Excellent. Checkin was swift & professional, 3 working elevators; lobby and hall ways clean and pleasantly decorated throughout. Room with large king bed, very nice down comforter, window was to the back, well insulated against airplane noise, (however does not open), spacious desk had live potted plant. The Hertz car rental facility is less than 1 mile, and Avis is even closer. Picked up a Dollar rent a car the next morning and again stopped briefly to pickup luggage, no charge, friendly valet attendants. Shuttle to/from airport appeared to run frequently. Original art on ground floor (paintings and sculptures). The fitness center on the second floor is well equipped, and even has a sauna. Minor comment: temperature could not be reduced, thermostat defunct. Pool and hot tub open 6am-11pm. Excellent bathroom amenities from Aveda. Bonus: complimentary travel size toothpaste. Very affordable AAA rate on weekends - highly recommended.

Room Tip: upper floor was very quiet, facing away from airport Boulevard. AAA rate can make this hotel very at...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank usuallyhappytravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Edgewater, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

We flew in from Sydney Australia and reserved a room for the night before. The room was comfortable but the heating and air conditioning unit was very noisy. The windows needed washing. The room was basic. The dining room, however, was a delightful surprise. We had a fantastic waiter who was attentive and pleasant. The food was better than we expected. The hotel was adequate for a stop over between flights but nothing to write home about. We will find other accommodations in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

The Renaissance LAX isn't perfect but I think it's probably one of the better options at LAX. The shuttle is easy to catch to/from the airport and I believe it runs 24 hours a day. It's especially worth the wait from the airport as the cabs have a high surcharge. It is very close to some rental car options, but parking here is very difficult if you return at night. On one occasion, a staff member saw me driving up and down the structure hoping that I would catch someone leaving, and directed me to park in the spot reserved for emergencies. I appreciated that they helped me out but I assume there were some drivers who arrived after me and were out of luck.

The rooms are clean and adequate. A few times I had to ask for a new room as some have an incredibly strong scent of cleaner - a clean scent is nice, but this was absolutely toxic. Another time the room didn't have a chair. A couple of times the sink clogged up, but it was resolved soon after I called the front desk. A few colleagues complained about the noise of the jets overhead so it may be better to request a floor on a lower room if you are a light sleeper.

The lounge is nice and serves a good breakfast and evening appetizers. Breakfast is usually the same, but offers a lot, like pastries/muffins, bread, oatmeal, fruit, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese and a hot option, like breakfast burritos or eggs. Coffee, tea, soda and bottled water are available anytime that the lounge is open. The lounge itself is comfortable and offers adequate seating, although it can get crowded during the busy morning and evening hours.

The gym is good and includes treadmills, elliptical machines and bicycles. I think there is also a small weight room and a pool behind the gym. It also offers water, towels, headphones, and each machine includes a small television. I'm not sure if I just missed the peak times, but I never had to wait for a machine.

I ate at the restaurant downstairs twice. It was pretty good; nothing extraordinary, but probably above average for a hotel restaurant. The breakfast buffet is pretty huge but I think the main difference between the breakfast in the restaurant and the lounge is that the former offers someone who makes omelets on request. The dinner I had there was decent.

The best part about this hotel is the staff. They were always friendly, remembered me (I traveled and stayed there on a weekly basis for a few months), and a few times comped me lounge access before I had status. They are always welcoming and helpful. The valet personnel were great and flagged a taxi for me when I needed one. Being a business traveler, I had to pay for taxis with a credit card, which the drivers *do not* like, so the valet personnel would ask them if they would accept a credit card before I got into the cab. It was a nice perk instead of me having to have an awkward conversation in the cab.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. It has its issues, but the staff goes out of their way to make you feel comfortable and it is probably one of the best options in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tenthlisten
Waterdown, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed here about two weeks ago while attending a conference and literally a two minute ride from the airport on a hotel supplied shuttle. Quick and efficient check in. The room was as requested and was very clean and remained so during my stay. Excellent housekeeping staff. All staff very friendly and you always receive a greeting as you pass someone. The food at the hotel was very good although quite expensive. You are somewhat at their mercy as there are limited choices nearby. Proximity to the airport is wonderful however you are somewhat isolated. Did not use the pool however I did notice it being cleaned and chemicals checked on daily basis. Check out was painless, however they had missed my Marriott rewards number and I am having to remedy that manually by faxing a copy of bill and a missing stay request form printed from corporate website...seems rather antiquated way to resolve. I would certainly stay here again for the convenient location. Also try the brew- pub next door at the Four Points Sheraton. Amazing selection of beers and great service from Marco!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jacksondj5
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Just spent a 2 night stay before departing to Australia. I usually stay at the Marriott LAX when in the area, but decided to try another nearby hotel. Since I am a Marriott Platinum member, I chose a family member property. Compared to the nearby Marriott LAX, the rooms were larger, recently refurbished and very quiet even with airplanes immediately overhead. We were immediately greeted by valet staff upon arrival as well as at reception. We had the unfortunate experience of a cabbie significantly overcharging us for the ride from the airport. The trip is a minimum of 19 USD but he wanted a 20USD tip as well. Valet staff came to our rescue and became our "enforcers". God bless these guys. The hotel does provide a shuttle but we always have a lot of luggage so we hire a taxi to make life easier. This hotel is not as hectic as it's Marriott sister. Very quaint for it's size. The room seemed to be recently refurbished as all seemed new. The bed was a delight. A King with great comfort. The room was also larger than that of the Nearby Marriott which we stayed at three weeks prior. We stay at the concierge level at most Marriott properties. ALL staff from housekeeping to room service were friendly and professional and helpful. Since we stayed on a Friday and Saturday the hotel was at a lower occupancy than normal, which brings me to a major downfall. We always order several meals in room and on Saturday afternoon the small bistro as well as room service were closed. We bought lunch from the Burger King across the street. There was no place within the hotel to even get a bag of chips. Additionally the Executive Club was closed for the weekend. No mini bar either. If you stay here and get hungry you need to leave the hotel. A small lobby bar was open for drinks but no food. Looking through the Executive Club window, it appeared to be very elegant unlike the Club of the nearby Marriott. Wish it were open! This hotel would be our "go to" hotel if room service was available at mealtimes.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ZippyRoo
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

This hotel is about three minutes by free shuttle from LAX. The rooms are clean but the beds are VERY small. This is the third time that I have stayed at the Renaissance and as with several of the other reviewers we found that the valet guys were not at all helpful when you self park.

The major rental cars are only a few minutes away and if you have an early morning flight this can be very helpful if you want to return the car the night before.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the lift are much quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Customer Service is everything...yes the rooms are a bit small....so you may want to ask about a suite...But their customer service is on point!!!! The comp my room with free waters & a free breakfast...stayed there with my wife!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business