“Incredibly Poor Customer Service”

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel
Ranked #76 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Generally speaking I only stay at Marriott hotels thanks to their awesome rewards program. On a recent trip to LA I stayed at the Renaissance because I'd liked it so much on a previous visit. I won't be making that mistake again.

Normally Marriott hotels excel at customer service. Customer service is where the Renaissance failed.

Examples:
- We had to return on two separate occasions to ask that our pass for the parking garage be activated.
- We had to call down twice to ask for extra towels.
- We had to call down twice to ask for foam pillows. It took two hours for the pillows to arrive and when I called down the second time they had no notice of the first call.
- I ordered coffee for 2 and one continental breakfast. The continental breakfast was supposed to consist of a croissant AND muffin, fruit, and juice. When my order arrived I had 1 coffee mug, a piece of toast, fruit, and juice. I called back down and asked for my additional coffee mug, as well as the croissant and muffin I'd ordered. We waited an hour but the rest of our order never arrived.

I'm not letting this skew how I feel about the Marriott brand in general but I think this Renaissance needs to take a good luck at their customer service and fix a few things. Asking for something twice isn't a big deal. Asking for everything twice is a problem.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank 442lisak
Write a ReviewReviews (1,843)

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I fully believe this place can do better than what I experienced. The A/C in my room didn't work and the maintenance guy had to come up after 2 1/2 hours to re-start the compressor. The room didn't have any facial tissues (Kleenex, for one) and when I complained, the front desk said "That is a housekeeping oversight". I don't really care who the oversight is on, I want it fixed. The front desk didn't even offer to fix the problem, just told me that it was an oversight by housekeeping.

I think this hotel can do much better and there are a lot of hotels by the LAX airport. The ambiance of this place is nice, the room is fine, but the attitude of the staff and the blame game isn't appealing to me. I think everyone can encounter a problem or two in a hotel, but the way the hotel responds is the key to whether or not I will go back. I think I will opt not to go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank 678,855
Reviewed October 27, 2012

As an airport hotel this is great - not sure I would want an extended stay though

Rooms large and clean with great bathrooms

Bar area is well decorated and staff are great

Breakfast was very good (especially as it was included in our rate)

Definitely one of the better LAX hotels we have stayed in

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank iancarpy
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights. I wanted to be in the LA area but most hotels wanted a lot of money for rooms and many only had valet. I didn't want to spend a fortune. Room was a bit small. Cleaning was iffy-some days we got coffee, some we had to ask, same with other items. Even though hotel is on the flight path we did not hear much plane noise, our a/c was sort of loud and we either were too cold or too hot. If I were going to LA again, I would just pay the money and stay where the action is, but to get to LAX this was very convenient. If you go up Sepulveda a few miles there are many dining options but really nothing right near (other than Burger King). Had breakfast at the restaurant one morning (pricey), just ended up getting Randy's donuts (overrated) for the rest. Self parking garage was good, but we got locked out the morning we were checking out, thank goodness the valet guy let us out. To me, that's really not acceptable since it wasn't close to checkout time. I think others had the same issue, because I got stuck behind a couple of cars on previous days. Fitness center was nice and pool may be small but it's nice. Hotel has shuttle service to LAX every 20 minutes but it looked crowded when we left (we took our rental earlier since rental locations are close) so we ended up getting a taxi, which only cost $8.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank proftravlr
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Amazingly, this hotel is on the flight path for the airport and part of the fun at night is watching the planes outside your window coming into land... but it is sooo quiet you cannot hear a thing.
Onky briefly stayed there one night, but was very happy!!
Restaurant is fantastic and was our server Sergio!!!!!
When the bread arrived it was accompanied with olive oil, and olive tapanade a lovely addition to the bread on arrival. Lovely young girl singing in the bar added to the ambience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed at the Renaissance at LAX before we flew out the next day. It was clean, quiet and comfortable, just about all you could ask for in an airport hotel. We have stayed at other LAX properties, but they have just not been kept up to date like the Renaissance. The staff was great from check in to a late lunch in the bar area, we were not dissapointed.

Room Tip: Upper floor away from street noise. Not sure that there is a quieter side of the building as the run...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We traveled to Boston for vacation this year. As we always do when we travel, we end up parking our car at one of the airport parking lots. However, this year we learned of a different way of doing it from a neighbor. We stayed the night before at the Renaissance Hotel on Airport Blvd. and did the Park and Fly. You stay at least one night at the hotel and you get 7 days of covered parking for free. It is then $11.00 a day after that. It's a beautiful hotel and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We also ate dinner at the restaurant in the hotel and the food was awesome. Our waiter, Sergio, was very professional and a great representative and spokesperson for the hotel. When it comes to traveling, I believe this might be one of the best deals in town.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family