“Convenient to LAX, but property is tired”

Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles-LAX Airport
Ranked #71 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Our rate was reasonable for the area, but the hotel is definitely a cut below other similar hotels near LAX. The entire property looks old, often worn, and generally unattractive. The room itself was comfortable, but the room windows were very dirty (no excuse for that). Included breakfast was very average.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marigold60763
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles-LAX Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Dear marigold60763,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. We are sincerely sorry to read about your negative experience with the room's condition. Your comments will be forwarded to the hotel for consideration of future upgrades. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,414)

Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

We where here early on the morning without our luggage and they where very helpful caring front desk who I would send all my family and friends there because of the personal service me and my husband received.. Thank you very much. beds might need a up grade soon

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Mercedesmom
Reviewed February 6, 2014

My stay at the holiday inn was excellent! I could not fault the service or the standard of my room. I work in the hotel industry so I am aware of what excellent service is and this hotel delivered. I stayed in a standard King size Bed room. This room was very spacious complete with all hotel essentials. This hotel also has an excellent concierge desk. Joe and Ben were especially amazing! their knowledge of the best tours and transport were excellent. I didn't manage to try the breakfast but from speaking to other guests during my stay the service received from the restaurant staff was also amazing.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Hotel stay includes airport shuttle, full breakfast and internet. We stayed for overnight layover. The airport shuttle came right away when we called from the airport and stayed on promised schedule in the morning pick up going back to LAX airport. Full fresh typical American Breakfast including eggs, waffles, sausage, yogurt, fruit, juice, coffee and much more. Great quick check-in/out with clean comfy beds and pillows, with coffee maker in room. Reasonable rates and internet access included. Rooms were surprisingly quiet being so close to the airport! Complimentary newspapers in the lobby. Excellent for business or layovers at LAX! Modern, average furnishings but not ornate.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Texas055
Reviewed January 28, 2014

LAX hotels are always expensive and require a parking fee. Though not my normal chain, I chose the HIE because the rate was so reasonable <$130 and free parking. The hotel is lobby is clean. The rooms are clean with simple/modern furnishings. Plenty of plugs and the counterspace in the bathroom is more than most hotels of this caliber. The housekeeping group does a great job. The room smelled great when I returned from my day out. The beds are super comfortable. Breakfast has plenty of choices. The business center and fitness room are both adequate. I would likely choose this property again for LAX business.

Wish List:
- A full size hairdryer
- Fresh fruit in the breakfast selection

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank laketravishill
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Chose this hotel for it’s location to car rental drop off and free shuttle to the airport, which meant we could drop our car off in the evening and in the morning hop on the free shuttle.
We were pleasantly surprised.
There was free parking available and check-in and check-out was fast and efficient.
Breakfast was well presented and we found the variety sufficient - it is standard holiday inn express.
Room was o.k. Beds were comfortable. Microwave and fridge and coffee machine.
Free wi-fi was good and also worked out by the pool.
The kids enjoyed the pool.
We walked around the corner to the Sizzler Restaurant. The buffet her was $10.99 each. Food and service here was ok.
There is also a 7-11 next door. We didn’t feel unsafe walking here (although we were back in our room by 8pm)
We found the only negative at this hotel, as mentioned in previous posts, was the super, super, super slow lifts !!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TravelBorts
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles-LAX Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear TravelBorts,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We are pleased to see you enjoyed your time at the hotel, and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Visited this hotel for one night while on layover from London to Auckland.

My understanding of the 'Express' brand is that it's 'cheap and cheerful' and that's pretty much what you get here. If you want the Marriott and big lobbies with glitzy chandaliers this is not the place for you.

Rooms - Good size and with decent ammenities. Found the bed very comfortable and the room is well appointed. Didn't hear aircraft noise or street noise on the 6th floor.

General hotel appearance - Clean and tidy if a little tired in places. I was only there the one night but there was a pizza box in the hallway from 9.30pm to 10am the next morning, one room had a duct tape room number, and my TV remote wouldn't work. So maybe the maintenance guys need to crack on. Some other contributors have commented on a 'musty' smell but this is nothing offensive and I don't know its origin. Maybe they steam-vac the floor.

Breakfast - Pretty good with decent variety. Again, don't expect Marriott type food, the scrambled eggs looked like they were made from powder but it's reasonable food and it set me up well for the day. Big ups to the staff member who went out of her way to help a disabled guest get their food.

Local area - Some contributors have commented they felt the area was a little unsafe. If you're only going to the shops around the corner or for a short walk you'll be OK, I didn't feel unsafe. A few homeboys hang around the 7-11 but they're pretty good natured.

Service - Everyone was very pleasant and a standout was Danny on the evening shittle service. Tipped him a little more as he was excellent, very prompt and willing to please, and good for a chat. When you get to T2 arrivals at LAX remember (if you are not on a local cell network) that the information desk just to the right and inside the exit doors will let you use their phone to call the shuttle. Otherwise you just have to wait till the shuttle comes around again.

Things to do in a day - I wanted to get up to Santa Monica Pier and the 3rd Street Promenade which is around 11 miles away. Ask Danny or one of the other drivers to drop you off at LAX bus station. Once there get the '3' Rapid Bus and in half an hour you're in Santa Monica and it only costs $1 each way! Awesome. Dropoff and return trip are from just outside Bloomingdales in Santa Monica. If you don't have a phone to call ahead for the HEX shuttle to pick you up from the bus station just get the free LAX connecter from the bus station to any LAX terminal and the HEX shuitle can collect you from there.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay here and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo