“415am Wake Up Call ... From a Bug Crawling on My Neck” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles-LAX Airport

Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles-LAX Airport
Ranked #68 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Chicago, Illinois
“415am Wake Up Call ... From a Bug Crawling on My Neck”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I was visiting LA and booked a room at this hotel because 1.) it was located near the airport (and I had a early morning departure the next day), and 2.) I trusted the HIE brand and felt like it would be clean (based on experiences staying at HIE locations in other cities). Boy, was I wrong. After about 3-4 hours of sleep in Room 528, I was startled out of my sleep by a weird feeling on my neck. At first, I didn't believe it, but once I went to scratch the itch, I felt a huge bug crawling on me. I flung it to the wall and hear a small thud - so rest assured it was a pretty large size bug/roach of some sort I packed up quickly and got out of that room within minutes. I cleaned my bags out thoroughly, and pray nothing snuck its way into my luggage and home with me. Yes, the hotel manager eventually gave my money back, but made no acknowledgement to obvious bug problem at this hotel (or any plans to stay to remedy them). Not very assuring, if you ask me. I've stayed in hotels for years, and have NEVER had something like this happen to me. Horrible experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank C W
Management03, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles-LAX Airport, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
I really do apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay with us. I can assure you that I will be looking into the matter.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

stayed two nights at this hotel at the start of our trip to CA. Ideal airport hotel, comfy beds, good shower, no noise and near to airport and car rental. We were able to get the hotel shuttle from airport straight away. Check in was smooth, they ensured we got two rooms next to each other and service was to a high standard. Hotel provide a free breakfast, which is no frills but does the trick! Hotel shuttle also dropped us at the local car rental the next morning,

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Checked in and was greeted by the usual friendly HI Express staff. Walked into a huge room on the 2nd floor. It was huge, but the room seemed like it needed more furniture in it. Room was clean and comfortable. Had a restful stay. I read a review here about the surrounding neighborhood being shady, but I didn't feel that way. I walked down the street to Subway and a drug store and felt fine. Just exercise the same common sense and safety you would anywhere else and you'll be fine. I highly recommend this hotel. Would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay on our last night in SoCal before flying home. Not noisy at all. It is a close to airport car rentals that I walked back from dropping the vehicle off. Pool is in a poor location. Has a fitness centre and free breakfast and wifi. Quite modern in design too.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Mud0nthetires
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past three years and up to four or five times in a year in transit or for a day from New Zealand to other parts of the US. I have read many reviews on it myself as well but this is how I feel about the hotel.
Rooms are good and clean and tidy always in every visit I have made.Plenty of space for a travelling family and if in the case of a traveller working the desk space and the internet speed are more than okay.
Its wise to try and get a room away from the street as the road noise can get up there at times.
Parking is limited so be warned but in saying that have only ever had an issue once in many years.
The breakfast downstrairs each morning (part of you room rate) is good in the sense there is something for everyone from eggs to cereal or in between.
Safety I have read much on this and the area and have to say I have always been okay but there is a mixture of things in the outlining region of the hotel so its wise to be a little smart but overall okay.
Great hotel pruely for the one or two night stop.
The lifts are slow so be warned on that one and thats just the way it is but they do arrive.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the street either side is okay but closer to the street can bring road noise...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

useful location after a late flight arrival - you MUST call the hotel to arrange a shuttle (which arrived within 10 minutes)

a welcome and unexpected touch: some granola bars and bottled water upon check in

a well trained staff, the smiles did not stop, everyone very courteous and helpful

one note: avoid room 633 - top floor, end of hall location, should be quiet but the A/C unit was horrible! too tired to switch rooms, so simply unplugged the unit....ahhhh, quiet at last.

Room Tip: avoid room 633 due to noisy A/C unit or else unplug
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Palmerston North
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

This hotel was exactly what we needed at the ended of a busy couple of weeks. We just needed somewhere to lay our heads before carrying on our journey. Great hotel. Clean, tidy rooms. Free breakfast & Wifi. Restaurants nearby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family