“Little disappointing”

Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles-LAX Airport
Ranked #71 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed 1 night and glad I didn't have to stay more. The room had several problems which I detailed in the room tip. Other than that the room was fine for a 1 night stay. Though there were a bunch of teenagers acting like idiot teenagers, but that's a little out of the hotel's control. Thankfully, it didn't continue through the night.

Room Tip: Room 422 had some problems. The tub drain was clogged, the shower curtain was falling apart, and the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Andrew C
Management response:Responded June 28, 2013

I really do appologize for the inconvience caused during your stay with us. I can assure you that it will never happen again.

Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,420)

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband, who is American and I, British were in the US for three weeks returning yesterday. En route from Aspen, Colorado to San Francisco via Los Angeles for reasons of a flight change by United, we found ourselves looking for a hotel near to the LAX airport. We looked at the hotels shown on Trip Advisor and booked for the night with Holiday Inn Express. We noted on the confirmation that we should call the hotel and a pick up would come quickly to the 'red kerb' outside the terminal. After a 30 minute wait, we called again and again and again. Four times in all and eventually after a wait of over an hour (it was now 10pm) we got in a cab. Minimum fare was $20 even though the hotel was only about a mile away. On arrival, the girl at the desk could not have been less interested in our complaint of such a long wait. In fact, she could not have been less interested in us at all. We also asked about water and were told to go out which my husband did. The hotel looked as though it had been last decorated in the 1950's (and that is being complimentary). The room was awful. Large yes but drab in every aspect; walls, furniture, furnishings. We were so tired that we just dropped on the bed, slept and left in the morning as soon as we could. Before leaving I asked for the manager and related what I have said above. We were refunded the $20 we had had to pay for the taxi and they noted our comments.

We travel a lot; staying in both very expensive hotels and cheap hotels and this is what I have observed. It is not rocket science to make a hotel both in their public areas and their rooms; a clean and pleasant place to spend time. Why do hotels both cheap and expensive equate glitz with attractive decor. All a hotel has to do is have clean lines, fresh looking walls, fresh and attractive linens and decor - none of which has to be expensive. Again and again hotels think that if they put a bit of this or some frilly heavy looking drapes, their clients will consider the hotel to be 'well equipped'. Well for us, this is not so.

Holiday Inn Express was truly an awful experience even for just an overnight stay at the airport.

Della Ryness-Hirsch

Room Tip: No idea. We had a room away from the noisy lift on the 2nd floor (I think)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Roussillon07
Management response:Responded June 28, 2013

I really do appologize that you had a bad experience with the shuttle service. I can assure you that this will never happen again. We would like you to comeback and stay with us again.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Like everyone says, this is a good Hotel for what it is designed for and that is an overnight transit Hotel between late arrivals and next day departures. It is value for Money & who needs all the frills etc for just an overnight stay. The Staff are very friendly and rooms clean and tidy. My only complaint would be that they were renovating a room near us so it was very noise until I made a complaint and the noise stopped, so I did appreciate that they listened to my needs, Thank you for that.. It was great to have the complimentary breakfast and it certainly was adequate and plenty of it. Also the complimentary Airport/Hotel/Airport transport was great you j just make a phone call to the Hotel and they sent the shuttle. I would definately stay there again. During our layover time we took a taxi to Culver City Shopping mall, it only cost us $10.00 each way and 15 minutes, and it was excellent and good shopping.. We were going to the beach but it was raining.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same, just ask for one that is not near renovations..
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles-LAX Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear oneforme,

Thank you for your considerate review. We are delighted to read you found the rooms clean and we appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. We are sorry for the noise challenges you experienced during your stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was staying in this hotel for business stay. The hotel seems to be very old and will require renovation. The lift is pretty worse, it takes lot of time to navigate between floors. When I came back in the night, I just requested some drinking water, but the hotel staff said you can go and buy water in the near by gas station. I did not like the way how they responded. Breakfast is also very stereotype. They'll have to change the menu continuously. Nothing great about this hotel. Great disappointment.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 20, 2013

I really do appologize for the inconvience caused during your stay with us. I will definently look into the matter and I can assure you that we will definently make the appropriate changes to better improve our services.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed here going and coming from Hawaii. The hotel was clean to our expectations and met our needs perfectly. The staff was very helpful. They offer pickup and delivery from LAX, which we used. The driver was most helpful and courtious.

Room Tip: If using the shuttle be aware it runs on the hour and half hour to the airport. During the busy hour...
2  Thank BarryGrif
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Los Angeles airport for one night in mid-May. We arrived quite late in the evening, so had a very short stay, but the hotel more than met our needs. We didn't have to wait long for the shuttle bus from the airport, check-in was quick and our room was clean, quiet and comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was fine and the shuttle bus took us back to the airport without any problems. All in all a good stay and would use this hotel again.

3  Thank WanderersCheshire
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I needed a place to stay in LA for one night because my flight wasn't until the following day. This hotel was just great. The woman at the front desk was very pleasant. The room was nice and clean. The bed was very comfy. I enjoyed the free breakfast. I also appreciated the free shuttle service to the airport. This shuttle service runs every half hour so it is very convenient. Check out was a breeze.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo