“Who knew an airport hotel next to a freeway would be so nice?”

Holiday Inn Los Angeles International Airport
Ranked #117 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“Who knew an airport hotel next to a freeway would be so nice?”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I waited to give the review for this hotel because I wasn't sure people would believe me. I booked the hotel through priceline.com, which I rarely ever do because I never get the property I want. But, in this case, I was pleasantly surprised. Though I was unable to obtain any frequent stay points at my hotels of choice, the Holiday Inn LAX was something I knew I could write about. I was on the sixth floor, facing north, a lovely view. I'm not sure what the other posters are writing about, but the room I had was well appointed--big comfortable bed, soft sheets, a lovely chair (I took a picture of it I liked it so much), and a table desk--all with lots of lights, not some dumpy lamp that served as the only light). The bathroom was a little small, but hey, it was clean, the water was hot, the towels were white, and the tub was clean enough to take a bath. I was most surprised by the noise--there wasn't any. It may have just been me, but I expected to hear the roar of the jets and the din of the 405 Freeway--I didn't. Now, there isn't any need to go out and discover the immediate neighborhood on foot. But, if you need a hotel near the airport, this one was really a surprise.

Room Tip: I was on the sixth floor, perhaps high enough above the freeway. North view is away from the airpor...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Management H, Manager at Holiday Inn Los Angeles International Airport, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
WOW! Thank you for the fantastic review. Welcome to our extended family!!! We can't wait to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lewisville, Texas
Reviewed March 31, 2013

It is very close to the airport which is great. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. We did not watch any TV so I cannot comment on that. This looks like a hotel that at one time was a landmark but has been allowed to rundown. The front desk was very friendly. My biggest complaint here is the $15/day for parking. I did not see any reason to charge $15 unless you were in the parking garage. No refrigerator or microwave in the rooms and like most hotels they expect only one person to drink coffee. This is an OK place to stay, but the neighborhood is a little rough and I would not suggest wondering around outside.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Los Angeles International Airport, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear dlwood,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the conditions of the room prevented you from being able to fully enjoy your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Thank you again for your comments, we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Ben J
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 31, 2013

A quick overnight stay on may way to fly out of LAX. I purchased my reservation via HotWire so it was worth the discounted rate. The room was clean, and the bed was comfortable. No complaints. It's very close to LAX which is nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We picked this hotel based on location alone...close to the airport/rental car return & about 14 miles away from Universal Studios Hollywood. We were early to check in, but they accommodated our early check-in with only a 15 minute wait. Instead of waiting in the spacious lobby, we had lunch at the McDonald's practically located in the hotel parking lot.

Service at the front desk was average as communication was not clear, but the Concierge was pleasant and fun with the luggage cart usage and area restaurant information. The room (1219) was spacious with 2 double beds (see tip) and bathroom. Small closet had a safe. Lighting in the room was dim, but the light by the door had a motion sensor which made it nice for the those nighttime bathroom trips. The window wasn't large and was needed a bit of outside cleaning, but we had a nice view of the area being we were on the top floor. Beds had a choice of soft or firm pillows mark in a pleasant way. Nice choice.

Though there is a PTAC unit for air conditioning, it was controlled by a wall thermostat. If we had it on auto, I could time when it would kick on at night by listening to the other units in the rooms around us. I finally just put the thermostat on on and blocked the air vents with a jacket so we wouldn't freeze. It gave us enough white noise to block out the sounds of the hotel around us.

Only complaints...
-Found hairs in the bathroom that weren't ours
-Telephone buttons didn't dial what they were listed as
-Calling the front desk & restaurant took several tries as the phone call went unanswered
-Waited 5 minutes at the restaurant just to find someone to take an order. No hostess, wait staff or bar staff could be found. Staff were very nice and apologetic when they were finally found.
-Pool was not heated. It was marked by a sign stating that it was "not heated at this time", which alludes to that it can be heated, but for some reason was not now. Kids were disappointed as it was too cold to swim otherwise. There were no other children activities offered.
-Parking was pricy at $15 a night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Joby N
london
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We must have finally left LAX at about 9.30pm, within about 5 minutes the shuttle bus had picked us up and after about 10 minutes battling through the other terminals, once we hit the freeway we were at the hotel in a few minutes.

We were gifted with a free drink at the bar as priority club members (don't rely on this offer, but it was certainly welcome!), the bar was small but nice and the staff were friendly.

The fabric of the building appears to be somewhat elderly, as demonstrated by the lifts and corridors, but the rooms and foyers are all modern In appearance and clean.

Our room was large enough with an adequate but very clean bathroom and a nice big bed with a comfortable mattress. The windows don't open which seemed a shame, until you looked out and saw the freeway and landing planes, so actually the noise proofing is quite impressive.

The surrounding area Is pretty grim, but as an airport hotel this is for stopovers not sightseeing so I can't see that as a problem. Indeed my only real criticism was the door lock. From outside, when you would pull the door closed, then test that it was shut, there was an alarming amount of movement in the door. When inside with the deadlock bolted this was gone, but I was a bit concerned to leave my luggage in what felt like a poorly secured room..
Otherwise, I would stay again!

1 Thank robsaw
South San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Nice renovated lobby to attract guests but that's it.

Quick check-in/check-out.

Gloomy poorly lit corridors.

Noisy due to poor sound insulation that is nevertheless more than necessary on large airports sites.

VERY VERY dirty windows (see pictures)

Not even for one night.

NOT RECOMMENDED. WILL NOT COME AGAIN !

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank HOTELLMEMORE
Dear HOTELLMEMORE,

I appreciate your feedback regarding our property. I am happy to know that you had a good experience during check in and check out. However, please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced with the noise levels on site and if the maintenance level was a let down. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and appropriate actions will be taken to rectify these unsatisfactory circumstances.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Pam G.

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Staying at this hotel as I write this review. The complaints are too numerous to count at this point. First one of these I have felt compelled to write ever and I have at least 100 hotel nights a year.

I got back to my room at 11pm tonight to find that not a single used towel was replaced today. The used ones were removed, and I guess the maid figured the single bath towel that was left would meet all of my needs for the remainder of my stay (hand washing, shaving, etc).

The air conditioning is not central. The window units sound like jet engines. I woke up around 3am thinking a truck was having major mechanical issues outside. It took me a while to figure out it was the outdated AC. They can use these to wake the dead.

The hotel is very loud in general and it feels like no one sleeps. All hours of the day and night. Doors opening and closing hard. Conversations I can hear two rooms down through the walls. Conversations in the hallway.

Don't let the nice renovated lobby fool you - above the first floor, things get terrible quickly. It feels like this was a military barracks from WWII - the hallways are industrial concrete construction and are very dimly lit. The windows look like they weren't washed since the Clinton administration.

I never thought I could complain that a hotel room was too big, but this one definitely was. It was massive by any hotel room standard. The issue really isn't with the size though, its with the lack of furniture inside. They could at least throw in a a sofa to cut the dead space. Very empty, very dark, not enough lighting, and those terrible motion activated lights meant that I couldn't even keep the room lit when I was working in bed.

All of this as a Platinum member (full disclosure - Hotwire rate).

This property needs major work.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Danman E
Dear Danman E,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay and if our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that reason, your comments will surely be looked into. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention and rest assured your comments will be forwarded to the departments concerned to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

We hope this would not deter you from choosing us again in the future.

Krysllin G.
Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles-LAX Airport
Crowne Plaza Los Angeles International Airport Hotel
Four Points by Sheraton Los Angeles International Airport
Travelodge Hotel LAX Los Angeles Intl

Been to Holiday Inn Los Angeles International Airport? Share your experiences!