“Staff are terrible and things were stolen by staff!”

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Ranked #57 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Storrs, Connecticut
“Staff are terrible and things were stolen by staff!”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I was traveling with my grandmother for the first time in USA and can't believe I was treated so badly during the first few days in the country, from HILTON staff! read on...
Although this hotel meets all the expectations of a comfortable and luxurious room, my experience was entirely disappointing when I was traveling with my grandma and she had taken things from my purse and put it in the hotel drawer without my knowledge and she forgot them after checking out. We were in Las Vegas when I realised I was missing A LOT of items left in the Hilton drawer and when I called the hotel the next day after checking out, no one seemed to be helpful at all!
Kept getting voicemails instead of talking to actual people and I felt as though there was some conspiracy of the staff. I never did recover any of my items, which included an envelope with cash (which is what I suspect tempted the thief), an external harddrive, family photos and a HUGE white folder filled with copies of important legal and visa documents amongst other things, which the hotel conveniently just told me over the phone that there was "simply nothing in the room or in lost and found."
Disappointed with their lack of interest or surprise in the matter that SO many things had gone missing, I made the trek BACK to Los Angeles from NYC only to be greeted by pushy managers and unhelpful and uncaring staff, even after traveling all that way!
I could not believe the insulting attitude I received from a MANAGER when I was clearly stressed as I needed important documents that were taken as an exchange student.
Clearly, their staff need training in handling customer relations, and for a Hilton hotel, that is unacceptable and ruined my COMPLETE stay in LA!!

Furthermore, nothing was offered as help or incentive for all the items I had stolen and I am extremely against Hilton hotels now!
Will be filing a police report!!

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Checkers01, General Manager at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this review, March 2, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your stay at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles. In reading your posting, I was also disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations and hope you can accept my most sincere apology. Your experience has given us cause to review and correct our processes, most importantly, the manner in which we speak to our guests. I am grateful you decided to stay with us and hope that in time you would be willing to give us another opportunity.

Again, sorry about the dissapointing stay,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 26, 2011

This is a smaller boutique style hotel with character.
This was our second stay at this locations so that is a good sign ;0)
Located in the buisness district. The staff is friendly, especially love the kitchen staff. The food was delicious.
I very much enjoyed the roof top pool and hot tub, the spa is also locatedon the roof top however you cant just walk in it is by appointment only.
Sometimes the roof closes for special events so check into that.
rooms are charming and roomy.
We enjoyed shopping, and a tour of the city. The front dest is helpful will finding hot spots and destinations.
I would go back again.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
cape coral florida
Reviewed February 17, 2011

The Hilton Checkers was the perfect location for my wife and I since the hotel was our base for visiting the Norton-Simon Gallery in Pasadena as well as the Huntington Library in San Marino, the Art Deco walking tour in LA Downtown itself, as well as a Chicago Bulls game in Staples Center. The hotel is also a very short walk to the home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic and LA Live.This hotel may not be the closest to "tinseltown" tourist sites, but this is a matter of what sights one desires to see. Now for the hotel itself: a boutique hotel with "character"-- a 1927 building that has retained its period architectural
"look" and "feel" not only on the exterior of the building, but in the interior as well. A pool on the rooftop gives a nice view of the high office buildings--especially in the evening. The restaurant has an interesting menu and serves quality meals in a relaxed setting. I would not consider the rooms to be large but they are CLEAN, well kept, with flat screen tv's and nice- sized bath facilities. Every staff member had a pleasant attitude, smiling face, and a desire to assist their guests. No request was too much! We would love to visit again on a return trip

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2011

The hotel is within 5mins walk from 2 metro stations, which have direct trains to Union Station (10mins), Hollywood(20mins) and Universal Studio(30mins). Also got buses to Chinatown and Little Tokyo. If you plan to watch a basketball game, it takes about 15mins walk to Staples Center. There are also several decent restaurants around and one small supermarket which offers fast food as well. Room was not particularly big but clean and tidy. Check-in and check-out were very smooth although we didn't use much services. Will definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Response, Manager at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Thank you very much for sharing experiences regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Checkers. We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the service and accommodations here, and we hope that when you are back in town, you will give us another opportunity to serve you. As you pointed out, our location is so convenient to many of the major downtown attractions, LA LIve, The Grammy Museum, the Convention Center, all the stages at The Music Center, and so on. Perhaps, when you return you will have an opportunity to explore more.

New York City
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We spent one night at the Hilton Checkers and were very impressed with the room, the amenities, and most of all the friendliness of the staff. That part of LA is very quiet at night but we did not feel that it was dangerous at all. When we left the next morning the door man was very helpful with directions to the freeway. The complimentary coffee in the lobby is excellent. Wish I had taken an extra cup with me in the car!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Checkers. We appreciate your feedback and we were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back and would like to invite you to follow us on our recently launched Facebook and Twitter pages. That way you can be notified of any special events or promotions we are offering, and be the inspiration behind another visit to LA.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2011

I stayed for three nights at the Hilton Checkers, a small hotel amidst the huge ones in downtown LA (the Biltmore is across the street, the Bonaventure around the corner...make sure to see both, and be glad that you can retreat to your little gem). The service in the bar and restaurant is great, the food excellent. I left something in my room, and a person from housekeeping found it and is going to send it to me. Great personalized service in the midst of vast downtown Los Angeles.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank professor066
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Checkers. We appreciate your feedback and we were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, as well as your experience in Checkers Dowtown. We enjoyed reading that we connected with you as a more personalized hotel than some of our neighbors, as that is definitely a goal of ours.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 5, 2011

i booked the romance package for a surprise to my BF. This is supposed to include sparkling wine waiting in the room upon arrival and full breakfast in-room the next morning. We were only there for one night. In addition, I called the day before to request a corner room and a late check-out (the romance package gives you the option for late check-out upon request). We arrived to a middle room with no wine. I excused myself from the BF to ask the front desk about this - I was told by the concierge that there was no record of my requests, and upon further inspection he noted that this was a Romance Package and apologized for not having the sparkling wine sent up. In addition, the concierge told me that I should have contacted him directly to coordinate the wine and package details. Isn't that why I am paying the higher rate? So that they hotel can coordinate all of this for their guests? Not happy.

This was supposed to be a surprise so I didn't want to tell the BF why we were hanging out in the room rather than explore the fun neighborhood. Finally, one hour later, the sparkling wine arrived. In the morning, I had not heard anything about breakfast so I called downstairs and was told that my breakfast vouchers were down there and that the person who checked me in had forgotten to give these to me. We were getting ready to check-out so I asked if I could just have a refund for the Romance Package and just pay regular rate. I was told that the manager was not in until later that day and that someone would have to call me back. Hours later and no call, I called. I spoke with the manager who was fine with refunding me the difference (it was only $50 difference anyway). Not once did she apologize for ruining what I thought would be a romantic surprise.

The price difference was not the issue. They ruined the experience. I received the difference refunded to my credit care. They pretty much leave you alone there so perhaps if you are wanting a nice hotel in the center of many bars and restaurants with minimal need, this may be the hotel for you. I strongly recommend AGAINST the Romance Package, especially if this is a surprise. I realize that mistakes happen, but there was more than one opportunity for the Hilton Checkers to correct this mistake during my interactions with them. It was as though they had no concern for their service and customer satisfaction. For that reason, I do not recommend this place. Sad about that too.

It didn't help that parking was too pricy, but since it was a surprise, I didn't want to make the BF walk.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple