“For the price not bad at all”

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Ranked #55 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hong Kong, China
“For the price not bad at all”
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Have stopped in this hotel a couple of times and has always done the job well. It not high end but neither is the price so overall good value.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
SF
Reviewed July 10, 2009

I was on business in downtown Los Angeles. The Hilton Checkers is nothing special -- I recommend you stay elsewhere.

The Hilton Checkers is at the bottom of a relatively steep hill known as "Bunker Hill." At the top of the hill are a cluster of office buildings, the Disney concert hall and performing arts center, and other destinations. Across the street from the Hilton Checkers is the Biltmore hotel. At the top of the hill is the Omni.

Hilton Checkers is 1920s vintage building that has been significantly renovated. Rooms are up to date -- flat screen TV, relatively new bathroom fixtures. Desk and desk chair are adequate for work, but mediocre ergonomically -- typical of this class of hotel, nothing unusual. In room wireless access for a fee.

Fitness center was small. 3 treadmills, 1 elliptical, a modest assortment of dumbbells. Machines are jammed together. At 6 am all machines were in use and people waited. Pool is tiny and outdoors. Fitness center is on roof, with nice views, but the machines face the wall and have no view.

Concierge and bell desk was helpful and busy.

Breakfast service in the hotel was slow both days I ate there.

I recommend staying at a different hotel in downtown LA. I have not yet stayed at the Omni, but hear that it is recommended by business travelers. I liked the Biltmore for charm and fitness center, although HVAC is better at the Checkers.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Doncaster, UK
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Good, but frantic service by concierge and reception (they were very busy, MJ had just died!).

I had requested a twin room but was shown to a single. They couldn't help, so I had to share a kingsize bed with my 17-yr old daughter, which was OK, but not ideal. Room was fine and quiet. I had also asked for B&B, but there was only a la carte. They did say they would exclude the cost of breakfast from my bill. Overall, not great value-for-money, but it is LA!

The irritating thing about Hilton is you have to pay for everything, e.g. internet access was $10 per day, why?!!! Valet parking was $40 and is essential.

This hotel is well-located for concerts, etc, but not for visiting Hollywood and car travel in LA is awful.

If I was forced to visit LA again, I would consider this hotel, but I really don't want to visit LA again! Go to Santa Barbara instead.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed June 18, 2009

After reading all the reviews of the hotels in the downtown area on TripAdvisor and comparing prices, we decided on the Hilton Checkers and I'm so glad we did. We were attending a conference at the Convention Center which is a several block walk away. If you are looking for something very close to the Convention Center, this isn’t the place, but we had bus transportation back and forth each day.

My room was great! We stayed on the eighth floor and I had a nice corner room with a great view. The room had been remodeled and included a larger size flat panel TV. The bathroom was nicely redone too, the sink area was a little small but workable. My co-worker had a nice room down the hall too. I love the older feel of the hotel with the newly remodeled interior. I was worried because there were only two elevators at the hotel. But we never had to wait very long to catch one which was nice.

The front desk staff, lobby, and bar staff were great. The recognized and acknowledged us each day when we returned to the hotel. The front desk staff went out of their way to make accommodations for us to stay and extra night and even were able to let us stay in the same room. She did a lot of work to be able to do that for us.

We ate in the bar twice, the food and service was good. And prices weren't too bad either.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank arbrod13
New York, NY
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I stayed at the Hilton Checkers after first checking the reviews on Trip Advisor, which were on target. I used to live in LA, but I'm a New Yorker and wanted to spend a long weekend traveling around LA car-free. This location is great because it's near the major subway hub of Metro Center. It's also a quick walk up to Disney Hall where I had tickets to the LA Phil on Saturday night. The service was friendly and helpful. The room has the new Hilton look of minimalism and Zen natural materials. Though the window faced the street I didn't hear a thing, nor did I hear my neighbors. The first morning the hot water knob in the shower didn't work. I called Guest Services and within 10 minutes the engineer was there and the faucet was fixed. I arrived late from the East Coast so grabbed a meal at the lobby bar which serves the restaurant menu. The food lives up to the hype - very delicious and the waiter made a suggestion to change my menu choice to accommodate my vegetarian needs. The rooftop workout room was minimal provided the treadmills I needed with no competition for the machine. The bird's eye view and outdoor pool made it perfect. I would stay here again if Downtown LA is going to be home base.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank ManhattanSteves
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed April 18, 2009

After reading several critical reviews, I was apprehensive about this hotel. But it was right next door to the office building in which I was attending a few depositions and the price was reasonable, so I decided to take a chance. I need not have been concerned. My room appeared to have been recently renovated. The furniture, fixtures and carpets all looked new and everything was very clean. I can only assume that the hotel recently renovated (I have no idea if this is true) and that some of the critical reviews here were from guests who were given rooms that had yet to be renovated. The room was fairly small, but what I’ve come to expect from hotels in major city centers. There are only two elevators and I had to wait a bit once or twice, but it was not a huge problem. The restaurant is excellent.

Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank joni960
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 16, 2009

I stayed here for a wedding and found it to be a very good value. The rooms were very nice and comfortable and a good size, there was a rooftop pool, that although very small had some great LA skyline views. You could walk to the downtown library and many of the restaurants downtown. I would definitely recommend this for the price we paid (wedding rate of around $100) it was well worth it.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple