“Downtown convenience”

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Ranked #58 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Plus: Right in downtown, easy walk to dining, shopping, convenience stores, grocery store, metro line. A bit longer walk to convention center, but definitely doable. Clean room, comfortable bed. Staff was polite and helpful at all times. Minus: Internet service was weak to non-existent (Internet was part of our package deal but they usually charge; I'd be mad if I'd had to pay extra.) Rooms are very small. No in-room frig to have cold beverages. Bathroom is roomy but very little counter space. Restaurant: food was good but over-priced. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Hilton Checkers. But they need to get their Internet in good working order. Otherwise, plan on working via your phone instead of your laptop.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Katharine A
RocioERivas, Executive Administrator at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Thank you, for sharing your feedback with us regarding your stay. It has been shared with our management team so that we can continue to improve the experience for our guests. Our associates will be so pleased to hear that you appreciated their level of care and service

Reviewed May 20, 2014

This is a 12-story inner-city narrow, renovated hotel consistent with the Hilton chain's specs. Probably only about 15-16 rooms on each floor; the lobby area is cramped as is the bar and adjacent lounge. There's also one restaurant. So it's best for business people who probably won't be spending much time here. Rooms come with different accoutrements, mine with only a coffee maker and a couple of bottles of free water. There were some snacks, but they were rather costly. Again, with an expense account you wouldn't care. I was somewhat unhappy with the housekeeping. My soap wasn't changed daily nor were my bath towels unless I tossed them on the floor after using them. I know this is pretty standard now, but I don't want to have to remember where to place my towels that early in the morning. She also closed the windows and turned off the air so I always came back to a very stuffy room. Otherwise, the room maintenance was O.K. The hotel abuts the L.A. historic district, some venues are walkable but you should get some instruction from the concierge if you want to negotiate Bunker Hill without actually having to do much ascending (the Disney Hall and the Music Center complex are there). Actually try to figure this out for yourself because the doormen are just above their teen years and when I asked for places to visit they sent me toward the Staples Center (I didn't go, just thought I would see what they recommended). There's valet parking available. You can probably only use the street to park on Sunday. Nearby are the large public library and the Grand Central Market. Broadway probably looks a lot like it did 40 years ago. For mid-westerners and suburbanites, the downtown street people might appear a bit menacing but I found walking perfectly safe, even late at night. The hotel is near two Metrorail lines. There are some decent restaurants within a 3 block radius, but I noted they tend to ignore their posted hours and often close early. A nice touch is the outdoor jacuzzi and living room on the 12th floor porch. Use your tap card for the elevator. If you choose to stay here, bring a book, bathe, and enjoy.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Checkers01, General Manager at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Checkers. It is disappointing that many small problems contributed to an unpleasant stay. I sincerely apologize for our service failures and do hope you’ll give us another opportunity to demonstrate the services you have come to expect from Hilton Checkers.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

The hotel is in a great part of town but needs a facelift. The rooms are extremely small which is a negative. Wish they offered free breakfast as this is a Hilton. The staff was great and very helpful.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Checkers I’m delighted to hear that your overall stay was comfortable.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

This has become my favorite hotel to stay at bar none! I travel quite a bit across the US and Internationally and the team at this Hilton is amazing. They are absolutely the best. The common areas and rooms are always clean, the staff is friendly, helpful and always there to put forth an extra effort to make me feel at home and location cannot be beaten for business in the downtown area.

Room Tip: They have a suite on the top floor that has a great view and you can always ask for it at a reasonab...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Bill K
RocioERivas, Executive Administrator at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

It warms our hearts to know that we could exceed your expectations. Our staff truly appreciates knowing they could make your stay an enjoyable one. We look forward to your future visit.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

This hotel at first entry was fine like any other Hilton where we have stayed. The room was clean and that is where the goodness stopped. The room was by an elevator and very noisy, remote did not work, mattresses both lopsided, a/c inop. bathroom downright dangerous. We will never stay there again. Hiltons yes, here NO!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Checkers01, General Manager at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. We regret to hear about your disappointment during your stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the challenges.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Checkers Hilton is in a good location in downtown LA handy for the area and close to the library.

The hotel is in the middle of a refurbishment and the public areas on the ground floor were closed which was disappointing. I had upgraded to a corner suite which was roomy and airy but as with most Hilton hotels lacked sufficient lighting to make sensible use of the desk. My upgrade included WiFi but if not it would have been prohibitively expensive. There is a Starbucks close by however with free WiFi.

I only ate in the hotel for breakfast on the last morning and it was very disappointing and not a patch on the breakfasts one usually expects in a Hilton - albeit that it was expensive.

There seemed to be some filming or similar overnight outside which made it noisy; that and the local youths who found the hill great for skateboarding until 1:30am - still, I managed to sleep until the council started to power wash the sidewalks at 6am and cut the trees.

Overall, adequate for my needs but not sure that I would return with the family

Room Tip: A corner room gives more space and light
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed here late April for a friend's wedding. The hotel was nice, clean, and comfortable... but nothing to rave about.

Best thing - located 2 blocks from Bottega Louie.

Worst thing - close to $40/day parking with taxes. But I suppose this is normal for LA?

• Stayed: April 2014