“Great hotel in downtown LA”

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Ranked #55 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bloomington, Indiana
“Great hotel in downtown LA”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Great hotel in downtown LA. From the arrival, you notice a great friendly service from the staff. The rooms are very large, quiet with a large marble bathroom. Definitely will stay again. Highly recommended !

Room Tip: choose a room facing the public library courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 16, 2013

To begin with, downtown was not the most attractive area of Los Angeles, but the hotel itself was nice. Reception was pleasant and the doorman was helpful. My room was very small, with a tiny closet, but I felt secure (travelling alone) and the room was quiet. Bed and bedding were comfortable, the lighting fine and I appreciated the two full length mirrors. The desk was convenient and pleasant for working on the computer, although they charge $10 for internet connection. The bathroom was roomy enough and clean. My room was rather stuffy and although the weather outside was chilly, my room would not cool off. Maybe the A/C wasn't turned on, but I opened the windows and it cooled off enough to sleep. I did eat in the restaurant and used room service. I thought the prices were reasonable and service better than average. If you need to stay downtown, this is a good choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here for business travel for 2 nights. The hotel was pretty standard. The rooms were nice. The restaurant food was good (a bit expensive) and the location was good for work. I wasn't totally impressed with the hotel. The roof was undergoing some sort of construction. It's not in a very good location if you're here for sightseeing.

Room Tip: I would assume the higher floors have a better view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Checkers01, General Manager at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
We are sorry our location did not fit your needs, as well as the construction disrupting the comfort of your stay. We hope the next time you're in the area you would consider staying with us again.
Vancouver
Reviewed April 11, 2013

In a nutshell: Excellent staff (all), clean rooms, spacious bathroom and shower, excellent valet services, and loud at night with street traffic.

Not the best location in LA, to be sure, but this is a lovely old hotel. If I return I'll bring my earplugs.. street noices at night kept waking me up.

Devonshire Parish, Bermuda
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Immediately upon my arrival I noticed the courteous nature of the staff.

When I reached the front desk I was greeted by my last name which surprised me a bit but I quickly realized that the front desk attendant had read my name tag on my luggage as I was outside settling my taxi bill. Then as a HiltonHonors member, the computer system alerted the attendant to the fact that I prefer rooms on the lower floors and she then proceeded to tell me what was available on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors.
After I had been in my room for approximately 10mins or so I received a call from the front desk checking to see if everything was ok with the room.
The room was ok - my first thought upon entering it was that it was a little stuffy in size and decor. The bathroom was quite large and nicely decorated in marble and granite.

During my stay I found the front desk staff, the bellmen and the waiters in the hotel restuarant to be EXTREMELY attentive, pleasant and helpful.

Access to free WiFi is offered in the hotel lobby and the business center only. You can purchase WiFi for your room if you like at $10 per day. No Free WiFi in a hotel room is becoming a real pet peeve of mine. * After my last Hilton stay just 2 weeks ago in London, it was pointed out to me that Gold Hiltonhonors members receive free WiFi service in their rooms. Guess how many points one needs to become a Gold member - 75,000 or 20 hotel stays a year!! And I was told that number of points required had just been increased

* Most people spend very little time in their rooms during their hotel stays, so a price per day seems somewhat unreasonable to me.

1 Thank Lisa B
San Francisco
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is a great little hotel with a great location for business or pleasure, spic 'n span clean and great service. Some of the rooms are small, but always nice. This trip, I was placed in a two double bed room and it was very spacious. The only complaint is that the standing lamp did not work over the lounge chair. Otherwise a perfect stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Boston, MAssachusetts, USA
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Don't be fooled by the Hilton name - this does not have the feel of a large hotel. The staff is great, the hotel has an intimate feel and is in a very convenient location. I was in Los Angeles on business with a good-sized group. We actually stayed one night in another hotel and checked out to come to Hilton Checkers - a tremendous improvement!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business