“Personal Service-Convenient Location”

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Ranked #58 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel is a "boutique" hotel. It's a great little find. Rooms are comfortable and well-kept. Some rooms have a funky layout, but overall they are all functional, clean and quiet. Comfy beds and nice bathrooms - that's a MUST!

The bar is small, but really nice. I ate in the restaurant for the 1st time (have stayed there many times), and they have a wonderful breakfast. Great, fast service and the yummiest bacon I've had!

The location is great as it is only a few blocks from two different METRO rail stations - one being the main 7th Street station. Easy to hop on and get to Staples Center, USC, Hollywood or even the airport. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance also.

This is our "go to" hotel when we visit LA, and each time we visit, it is like coming home.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CaliGeorgiaPeach

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Awful service!!! Drove around the parking lot trying to find the parking.....front desk staff was rude!!!! Rooms are terrible!!! Would never stay here again!!!

Over priced and the staff is incredibly rude!!! I paid for a double room and they have me one bed and said there were no doubles available!!!! Not worth the money at all!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Checkers01, General Manager at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

I appreciate your candid review of your recent stay with our hotel. I apologize for the room assignment not meeting your expectations as comfort and safety is my highest priority for our guests. While room type requests cannot be met every time, I have reviewed your comments with our front desk team to ensure we're handling situations such as yours in the kindest way possible. I invite you to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I'm not going to dun the hotel because a tour company's driver got stuck in traffic--how absurd. I'm going to rate the hotel on..surprise..the hotel. Hilton Checkers is a very nice hotel in downtown L.A. Now, that's not near Disneyland or Santa Monica or Malibu. It is downtown. The rooms are spacious and the staff is professional. They give a continental breakfast to HH members; dinner was quite enjoyable. I didn't look for scratches on the nightstand--as if people actually make their decision to stay at a hotel based on such foolishness. The staff is knowledgeable and professional.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank PAGuy65
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a very nice stay at the Hilton Checkers.
The room had a perfect size for 3 persons. We enjoyed the room, the service and the breakfast (especially the french toast).

BUT:
The Front Desk recommended VIP tours of California for a sightseeing tour through LA. That company is horrible.
Some facts about our tour:
- 6.5 Hours instead of 4.5
- sunset boulevard was closed and the driver said that he did not know... of course... he should get information before starting his route
- i came to get some facts about LA and its history and not latest updates about stars and their drug and girl problems. therefore i can watch mtv. it is cheaper
- when we came to st monica, it was dark, not worth to see. At venice beach we made a stop at the seafront. all shops were closed and there were gangs and junkies around. so not a very safe area for tourists
- when we paid, we complained at the cashier. that guy was rude and was only asking for our credit card. He called my dad a bro. He said:' You owe me money, give me the credit card, bro.'
- on the way back to the hotel, VIP tour provided a shuttle. the driver was speeding and texting the entire time. He did not see that he was moving between lanes. DURING RUSH hOUR. I asked him if he wants to kill us and told to put the phone away or i ll call the cops.

Back at the Hotel we told the front desk about our bad experience and they showed only a little interest. They said they would work on your problem and talk to us later. Nobody ever did.

Dear Mrs. Lewis,

you might earn the prepaid amount per ticket, but think about the high standard of service you want to offer to satisfy your guests.This company(VIP Tours) is not equal to your standards and not interested in their customers.They only want their money. We felt ripped off. This bad Tour ruined our 2 day stay in LA. We could have seen so much more with a competent company.

If I were you I would think about finding a better buisness partner. I think you do not want to clean out a guests room because they were killed by a bad skilled VIP Tours Driver. Read the review about that company here on tripadvisor. It shows how they really are.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chrilu
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was expecting small rooms and old elevators, but was pleasanlty surprised by size of the rooms and the overall condition of the hotel. The rooms were open and had plenty of space to move around. Everything was clean and the bed was comfortable.

The front door was attended by two guys who made you feel welcome on the way in and out of the door, every time you went in and out.

There was also a nice looking bar and restaurant, although I didn't sample either of them.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Wade S
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Checked in late evening for a one night stay. I wanted a place near the Dolby Theater, but the prices were very high in that area because of the Oscars. The Hilton Checkers turned out to be a great choice for the price and wasn't a bad drive over to the theater area. Check in staff person was uniquely pleasant. Complimentary bottles of water recognizing my Hilton status were appreciated. I would love to have had complimentary wifi, but no luck. Room was nice and comfortable. Skip valet parking if you don't need in and out privileges. It is $24 instead of $42 and is in the same garage they use.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank LittleJoPeep
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We had a great experience an great rest! We were in town to see a Lakers game and found the location to be perfect! It was a $6 taxi ride to Staples Center and the LA Live restaurants. We passed some inviting restaurants on our way to Staples too. We're Hilton members and we arrived around 7 pm. They had turned down the bed with chocolates, left our complimentary water on ice and a wrapped snack...we were impressed with the details and customer service we felt from all the staff. We're already planning to return and try the wine bar/restaurant down the street.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends