“Nice value and great location”

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Ranked #57 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“Nice value and great location”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Not the best of the Hiltons but not a bad value for the location. Hilton VIP Gold & Diamond members will be disappointed that there is no Exec floor or lounge but if you can get past that the rooms are great as is the front desk, bar, and restaurant staff. The downtown location is convenient. At $38.50 the valet parking is a bit pricy. I was there on the weekend and got upgraded to the President's Suite at no charge.

Room Tip: Hilton VIPs can act disappointed that there is no exec floor or lounge and ask for a room upgrade.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
DonnaLewis1, Director of Sales at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for the 4 Star rating !

We take all of customer feedback very seriously and use it to improve our customer experience, especially those from loyal Hilton guests that have achieved Gold and Diamond status. As part of this goal to provide the ultimate guest experience, we just completed a full renovation of our hotel fitness center and next project is the elimination of the hotels two Presidential Suites to create an amazing rooftop Penthouse Suite.

Thank you for your loyalty to Hilton Hotels and we hope to see you again soon …. And show off the upgrades to the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I usually stay in a Hilton when I can because I like their reward programme. When we wanted a hotel to stay in in downtown Los Angeles the Hilton Checkers fitted the bill perfectly.

First, its location is superb for downtown LA - all the sites are in easy walking distance. There are plenty of shops within walking distance.

The building is an old, historic (as LA goes) building with interesting decor. Our room though was disappointingly small and cramped. There was only room for the desk chair, and no comfy chair at all. The bed though was the usual superbly comfortable Hilton bed and we had an excellent night's sleep. We did ask Reception for robes and slippers; these never materialised. And were was our complimentary water? We later discovered that they charged us an outrageous sum for consuming the little bottle of water that there was. I still think Wi-Fi is ridiculously priced given that so many hotels now give free wifi.

We had predinner drinks in the bar. The barman didn't appear to know what a real martini was - I still can't believe this, and put it down to my strange British accent. The first few things, like Californian sparkling wine, they were out of! Odd. We ate in the hotel restaurant. The food was excellent - I had a superb fillet with all the trimming, my wife the fish. Both were excellent. The wine list was excellent. Service, particularly at the start, was on the slow side.

The breakfast, included in our rate, was excellent. Breakfast is a formal sit-down affair rather than the usual buffet and was greatly superior. I had a wonderful three-egg omelette. I still can't get used to the American emphasis on tipping: our waiter (and all he did was take one order and bring it to us) insisted on bringing the bill of zero over so that we could leave him is 20% tip. (I was tempted to say 20% of zero is ....).

Checkout was efficient and the desk staff wonderful. We got the hotel car to LAX - very comfortable but a bit pricey at $66.

It is worth taking the elevator to the roof - you get a superb view of LA from there.

As far as I can tell this Hilton doesn't have an executive floor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Modesto, California
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The hotel has a great staff. Check-in was pleasant, friendly and efficient. My room was nicely decorated and quite comfortable. The bed was excellent with a nice selection of pillows. The room and bathroom were not large and there was no view to speak of. The furnishings were good quality and well maintained. There was a large flat screen TV. There were two things lacking that are important to me; no easy chair and no good reading light. Even the lamp on the desk did not have a very bright light.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Encinitas, California
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Great place to stay if you need a hotel in downtown LA. Rooms are small but very nice and modern. Nice pool and jacuzzi on roof top with a great view. Hotel is close to many of the sights. Staff is very helpful and pleasant. There is self parking so you don't have to valet your car and save a little money.

Room Tip: High rooms may have a city view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sofia v
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I called the hotel early in the morning to see if we could get early check in. The gentleman that answered the phone not only interrupted me while I was talking but did not even take my info. Just flat out told me that it is not possible unless I want a room with no view. When I got to the hotel they were filming a TV show. It was chaos! I could barely get in the lobby. Once at the front desk I went up to a gentleman that did not really make eye contact & was not really friendly. He also did not acknowledge the chaos of the filming or apologize. Rooms need renovation. Room was clean. The person that checked me out was friendly but i was already not happy. I would not stay in this hotel again. Service is important!

• Stayed October 2012
Rany B, Manager at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are glad you selected Hilton Checkers for your stay in LA and apologize for the amount of traffic at our hotel while you were here. While we do have the occasional filming on property, we always aim to make sure our guests are comfortable during these times. We regret you did not experience this. In the future, we hope you will stay with us again and experience the level of customer service you’re used to. Feel free to contact me directly whenever your travels bring you back to Downtown Los Angeles.
Rany.Baroudi@hilton.com
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Very warm and humid day in LA, arrived at the hotel around 2:45 pm and was told that the room was not ready. However, I needed to attend a convention at the Westin hotel a block away at 3:30 and needed a room immediately. I asked to be put into any type of room that is available. After about 10 mins, I was put into a very small queen sized room. (Booked king). I was alone, so no complains.

Pro
1. Best front desk I've experienced in years, and her name is "SHERRY". She did not help me check in but was the lady working the afternoon-night shift. So sweet, pleasant and welcoming, I would promote her if I was the front office manager. It was my first time in LA, and I wanted to go for some entertainment. She carefully recommended various options and we both agree Hollywood would be nice. After I arrived back, she greeted me by last night and politely asked my hollywood experience. We chat a little and I told her I was not given a breakfast coupon (HHonor Gold). She not only gave me a coupon for breakfast but also upgraded my coupon to full breakfast instead of continental. Thank you Sherry.

2. A cake and a bottle of mineral water was delivered to the room, while I was away. Thanks.

3. The hot pool on the top floor had a great view of downtown.

Con

1. Room is showing signs of wear and tear, needed renovation probably few years ago.

2. The sauna rooms 110% needs renovation. The shower in the sauna room was broken. The steam work is not working. The floor is so dirty. The lockers look older than ancient public elementary lockers.

Other than that, it was a smooth evening in LA. Will stay again if I go to LA.

Room Tip: Not a luxury hotel, a mere 3-star. But profound service by Sherry.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Great hotel in downtown LA. Had a room on the 8th fl facing Library since the building is not that tall views from the room windows are not that great. Roof top pool area was very nice with great views of some of the down town skyline. Hotel bar and Checkers restaurant were very nice. Hotel staff were very professional and friendly. Would recommend this hotel to any one and plan to stay here when I get back to LA.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business