“Great Location but Expensive”

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Ranked #55 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Davis, California
“Great Location but Expensive”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

This hotel was very convenient to downtown and the court buildings. The staff were friendly and accomodating. Everything in the downtown of a big city costs money and the same goes for this area. The hotel was a bit expensive and there were no freebies. I enjoyed my stay as the downtown area has changed and there were pubs and bars to visit in the early evening. Many places to eat and shop as well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank trvln_steve
Checkers02, Director of Sales at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to be located in the midst of both the financial and entertainment district. You are correct .... the "rebirth" of Downtown Los Angeles is very exciting. So much to do, see and enjoy !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Wangen, Germany
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Hilton Checkers is a nice and elegant hotel, located in downtown L.A..
Rooms are small but comfortable and quiet.
We really enjoyed this hotel, everyone from the staff was friendly and helpful.
The rooftop pool is gorgeous, as is the view of the city.
The neighborhood had many nice restaurants and attraction. Starbucks is near by.
Valet parking is very expensive, but there are a few cheap parkings near the hotel.
We highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rudolf51
Thank you for the glowing review about our property and staff .... including the pictures from our gorgeous rooftop ! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again during your next trip to the states.
Monterey Park, California
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We chose Hilton Checkers to be our wedding block. Rooms were clean and beds were very new from what we heard from our guests. We had Yolanda to help us with our wedding block. She seems very professional at first but then she was very forgetful. We told her that we needed a wheelchair accessible room for our wedding block but she forgot about it. We told her we wanted both 2 beds and 1 bed rooms for our guests. Later, one of our guests called us and said they were unable to book 2 bed bedrooms on a day. I called Yolanda and questioned her. She said that day on our block was all 1 bed bedrooms. She said if the guests want 2 beds, they could call the hotel. I told her that we don’t want our guests to trouble with calling the hotel. It made us seem unorganized for not having options ready for them. We had a little argument. In the end, I told her to switch all those rooms to 2 bed bedrooms. She asked what if our guests want 1 bed bedrooms. I told her that they could call the hotel to switch it to that then.

On our cut off day, our rooms weren’t booked enough to get an upgrade for our wedding night. So, Yolanda gave us the upgrade anyway. We got a penthouse and it was very big and beautiful. It was prefect for doing our makeup/hair and photos before the wedding. At night, it was a little too cold. The heater wasn’t working in the bedroom. The bathroom’s bathtub was a little small for penthouse.
In the end, our wedding block was all filled up. Yolanda told us that if we had guests who needed more rooms for our special rate, the hotel will give them the rate if there are rooms left in the hotel.

One of our guests tried to get more rooms during our wedding block, but the hotel didn’t give her the special rate. They told her the wedding block is full and so she can’t get the special rate. We knew there were a lot of rooms in the hotel available, but they still didn’t give her the rate.

In conclusion, we would have still blocked rooms at the Hilton even if we know all this would have happened. It was the closest hotel to our wedding venue. Their rooms were very clean and their beds were very new. We do think they need to work on training their employees.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Apple M
Checkers02, Director of Sales at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Greetings Apple, thank you for taking the time to share your comments and I apologize that you feel we did not meet your expectations. The Hilton Checkers tries very hard to exceed our guest expectations. Therefore, I have reviewed your file and the correspondence with the hotel to ensure this does not happen again, especially in regards to the ADA rooms. It appears that 1 of the 2 ADA rooms we were holding for your group was released at your request a week prior to arrival. In regards to guaranteed room types, although we try to accommodate specific requests, sometimes there is challenges when guests request specific rooms types, but also need; rooms to be next to each other / on the same floor / higher floor / smoking or non-smoking. We did our best to accommodate the majority of your guest expectations and I am sorry that you feel they were not met.

You are correct, in most cases occupancy would be low on Labor Day weekend. Fortunately this year showed more demand and gratefully we were actually at a high occupancy. However, in an effort to accomdoate your guests late requests, we actually continued to take rooms after the cutoff date and also honor the group rate up until 1-week prior to arrival, plus give you a suite even though you had not met the contracted threshold

Please accept our sincere apologies if the points above were not explained to your full understanding orgianlly and your expectations were not met. Your rehearsal dinner on our rooftop was a gorgeous event and I hope was a great kick off to a weekend of joy & happiness for you and your new husband. Congratulations & we at Hilton Checkers wish you years of happiness.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed here for one night after a longer stay in Santa Monica. In some ways Santa Monica was more convenient for driving places, but this Hilton is very convenient for those with downtown business or events. The immediate area is lots of corporate stuff, but I was able to walk to lots of restaurants, as well as the Disney Concert Hall, Cathedral, and Staples Center. Staff was great, from front door to desk to bar. Bed and bath were very nice, made for a very relaxing day!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for the kind review Holly ... we really appreciate it !

You are correct, we are lucky to be located right in the midst of both the Theater and Entertainment district of downtown.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with and hope to see you again soon.
Vitoria, ES
Reviewed September 12, 2011

When I decided to go downtown LA I was not so sure I made a great choice and I really think that staying in Beverly Hills or Santa Monica is much better, but it was my second time in LA and the hotel was a great experience.
The Hotel is brand new as a Hilton. It has no executive lounge, but the rooms are comfortable, they have a swimming pool and gym at the roof and all the staff is amazing.
The price is great but the taxi from the airport is expensive, so you should consider pay a little more to stay in a better area, but If you have to stay downtown, this hotel is a great choice.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review ... especially the kind comments about our staff. I agree, we do have an amazing team !
Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Wife and I were on a 2 week driving tour of California, stayed at 8 different hotels in 7 different cities/towns, from a stunning resort in Sonoma, downtown hotel on Nob Hill in San Francisco, to a wilderness lodge 60 miles into Kings Canyon National forest. Our most memorable experience, service wise, was this lovely, smaller, hotel in Los Angeles. From the moment we arrived at the door, till we were packing our bags in the trunk to leave, the hotel staff and manager were unbelievably attentive. A truly unique stay, where we were treated like the most important guests in the hotel!

Hotel is lovely, rooms very small, but nicely appointed and certainly big enough for a short stay. Restaurant in the hotel was very good, ate dinner there and food was excellent. A real standout is the rooftop pool, where my wife and I retired to for a glass of wine overlooking the downtown area, hard to beat. Add everything together and the location, onsite restaurant, rooftop bar and nice quiet rooms made for a very relaxed, short stay.

But again, it is the service that makes this hotel standout. The hotel manager/desk manager took great interest in making sure all our needs were taken care of, to the point of comping us our breakfast the next day. If we return to Los Angeles on another trip, will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the street would be what to ask for
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I didn't fancy a 7hr wait between flights at LAX and not having been to LA before I decided to stay two nights in downtown LA. I primarly chose Hilton Checkers on other reviewers and as I wanted to be within walking distance to photograph some of dowtown buildings, in particular Walt Disney concert hall.
The service started from the doorman and was never less than welcoming and helpful. My room a king bed was as seen on the website photos, clean and comfortable especially the bed. Air conditioning worked well as it was hot weather outside.
Breakfast was plentiful and attendants attentive. One night I had room service for evening meal they were very good at checking for my allergy but the downside I didn't get what I ordered and I think this was because two items had very similar names. I didn't send back as it looked good and was delicious. I found both doormen to be knowledgeable of the vicinity and helpful. The swimming pool is small as is the surrounding area with limited views over the city. Taxi from LAX to hotel was US$58 but going back I ordered a town car with the doorman for US$55.
The hotel is central to Walt Disney Concert Hall and opera house (4short blocks but uphill), Central Markets, Angel flight, Bradley Building (beautiful wrought iron work) and other lovely buildings in old financial district. However, many areas are run down and not near good shopping areas.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo