“Great rooms, great staff, great price...” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #56 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Canada
“Great rooms, great staff, great price...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

I was a little concerned about my booking at this hotel, prior to arriving. There are a lot of negative reviews. But here's the deal.

It's downtown Los Angeles which, as a city, is just seeing what urban revitalization can do. The hotel is a kickback from the 80's. I kinda like the decoratve pools with fountains and under water lighting. It reminds me of grand Carribean resorts when I was a child. It is a 1200 room hotel with countless meeting and conference rooms, so it is tailored for that market and it's busy. Real busy. While I was here this weekend, there were Emmy Technical Awards for Daytime, a wedding, an NHL draft, three days of Dodgers-Yankees games, an Electronic Music Festival, LA Film Festival and that's just what I was aware of.

The lobby, hallways and most common spaces definitely made the bottom of the priority list in what I assume is an ongoing renovation. My room was medium sized, but immaculate, great view, Heavenly Bed (TM) nice Panasonic Flast Screen television a great desk and ergonomical chair.

The staff are really pleasant, welcoming and accomodating. The maids scurry around the floors trying to be is unobstrusive as possible. The servers and bar tenders are quick, know the product, perform their work accurately, professionally and politely. Bellmen were very eager to assist me with luggage and holding luggage on my check out day. Front desk remagnetized my room key on at least three occasions. Concierge is amazing, I'm just about to write a letter to Westin with compliments to him.

So, I'm not sure where people were staying before they came here -- that would motivate them to criticize so heavily. I took a quick wander to JW Marriott and the Ritz Carlton to scope the place out and have a little bite to eat. Yes, they're nicer. Newer furniture, fresher paint, tailored uniforms for the staff, but when I was shopping for a hotel for this stay, I ended up using Hotwire but had looked at Expedia prices for the competition pricing. They were all $300+ P/N. So when it comes to value, I was quite pleased with my $95 P/N room.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oakland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

I stayed here 4 nights for a business meeting. While some people said they were confused by the layout, I thought the 4 color-coded elevator areas made it easy to find your way around the hotel. The hotel lobby was very beautiful and hip. One of the best features is the glass elevators- you don't feel claustrophobic and you get great views of LA. Having a refrigerator in the room was great- I walked about 6 blocks to a very well stocked Ralphs grocery store and bought several gourmet pre-packaged meals- which were healthy and saved me money. While the room was somewhat smaller than most Westin type rooms, it was spacious enough for me with nice toiletries and a wonderful "Heavenly Bed" that was indeed heavenly. Make sure to avoid rooms located close to the elevators or you'll have elevator pAssengers looking in your room (I had them move me to a higher floor with a nicer view). Overall, the staff, while not overly friendly, were pleasant and quickly and efficiently took care of all my requests. I'd definitely return here for another stay.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

The main reason for staying at this hotel is to specially attend the SRF Convocation that is held annually at this hotel only.

The atmosphere is nice and the staff is friendly. Great Food Court too.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Houston TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

There is no Heavenly experiernce here. Except for the bathroom soap, I cant even tell its a Westin. Might as well be a run down Sheraton. The room is small, but nicely decorated. The common areas - hallway, elevators, lobby feel dirty and neglected. Surely this hotel is at the top of Westins list of needed make overs. I'm a SPG Gold level member and I dont think my hotel room is anything special.

I'm here for a conferernce and the meeting facility, service and food is very adequate.

1 Thank BMWM5Driver
Lausanne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

We stay at the Westin Bonaventure for three nights in May 10 with my husband and it was very nice.

First, the service was good, the staff at desk kindly answers to all of our questions.
We had a room in the "red" tower, at 28th level. The elevator to go to the room level is really original because, from the 6th level, it is outside of the tower. Once you get up, you can see the beautiful panorama of downtown Los Angeles.

The room was not small, clean and had a big flat TV. The bathroom was nice too. Each morning a free newspaper was drop off the door of the room.

We ate twice in the launch restaurant at the first floor. The service and the food were very good! And the lobby is beautiful with all the fountains.

The hotel is located in the downtown Los Angeles so if you stay here during a week-end the neighborhood is very very quiet (too quiet, it seems the area is uninhabited).

The hotel has a valet parking ~ 20$ for 1 night. It's not cheap but it's the easiest place to leave you car.

In conclusion it's a very nice hotel, we really appreciate our stay there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

Although rooms have been redone, my room had stains on the carpet and I did not get housekeeping service until after 5:00 p.m.; room service trays stayed in hall all day and hallways not vaccuumed.

1 Thank bill89117
St Croix Virgin Islands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2010

We arrived at 1:25 a.m. to find a lobby empty but for the cleaning crews. We were the only people at the registration counter. The clerk was unwilling to afford my wife a late checkout for here dated of departure (3 days out). He checked us in and gave us two keys. I told him we needed a 7 a.m. wake up call. He replied:"what room #" DUH!!

The rug in the small room was stained or burned in many places. If you were a male you couldn't pee without holding the toilet seat up because the marble counter behind it wouldn't allow it to stay upright when lifted.. The linens were clearly Westin; but nothing else was.