“People just love complaining!”

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #49 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2004

I don't know why people make such a fuss!

After planning a 4 day trip to LA and San Diego in late June, I ended up booking two rooms at the Westin Bonaventure because of the location and close proximity to both Santa Monica Fwy and the Hollywood Fwy.

Then I found out about the existence of tripadvisor.com and read some of the negative reviews here. Having already pre-paid for the rooms, I couldn't cancel and was very very nervous about our stay at the hotel. Turns out, there was nothing to worry about.

Yes - the hotel is a little too "urban" and can come accross as very crowded. But at the same token, the floors were quiet. The check-in was fast and efficient and we got both of the rooms on one floor, close to each other. It is true that you could potentially lose your way around the floor because of the different towers, but it's not THAT big of a deal.

Both rooms were great, clean and well decorated. They were a little small and oddly-shaped but not to a point where it bothered us. The view was beautiful, especially at night (well, we were lucky to be up high in the building).

Here comes the most wonderful part of the hotel though - the HEAVENLY beds! What an appropriate word to describe my sleep there. Super-extra-comfortable, luxurious, warm, cozy, soft...

Not any less wonderful are the heavenly showers which make you want to stay in the shower cabin all day long. The bathrooms are beautiful, spacious enough and equipped. Note to ladies - take shampoo and soap from home because my girlfriend claimed that the soap and shampoo smelled like a guy's cologne.

Overall the hotel presents good value if you get discount room rates (we paid $150 per night per room). It's great to be able to get on the two highways close by and be in Hollywood in 15 minutes or in Santa Monica in 30.

The one major downside is the mandatory $20 per day valet parking.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed August 1, 2004

I stayed at the Westin Bonaventure recently during a very busy weekend. The staff was incredible, and went above and beyond for us. When we called down for an additional blanket, it was sent up immediately, we had at least two of the hotel employees that stopped by the room during our stay to ask if there was anything that they could do to make us more comfortable. I will definitley stay there again. The rooms are cozy, but very beautiful. The only problem I encountered during by stay was that the sausage at breakfast wasnt hot, other than that...they get 5 stars from me!

4  Thank liatgodwin
Reviewed July 10, 2004

A brief stay at this hotel was a mixed experience.

I was attending a convention and it was obvious from the very start that the hotel was not prepared to handle a group of our size.

Breakfast food and directions to it were not publicized until at least the second full day of the convention.

Rooms were a trifle small and furnishings just barely adequate. Staff was attentive to an adequate degree.

Exhibit areas for convention displays were more-than-adequate and rooms for workshops/classes were as good as could be expected, considering that 2,050 adults were registered for the convention!!

2  Thank Philomela
Ft. Montgomery, NY
Reviewed July 9, 2004

The Westin Bonaventure was convention headquarters for an organization of musicians in early July.

In downtown LA, the location was fine for bus trips to the Cathedral and the new Disney Concert Center. We could have walked there.

Inside, the hotel is a maze of colors and shapes throughout the building. The elevators seem to work either very quickly or very slowly.

It took several days to become accustomed to the locations of the various conference rooms, restaurants, lobbies aand elevators.

The rooms were OK, but on the small side for two full sized beds. Airconditioning worked well and was easy to operate.

There was no refrigerator in the room; when I requested one, I was put on a waiting list.
The coffee pot's lid kept coming off, but the machine did produce coffee. I did not have time to check out the TV, nor to try the fitness center or the various items of physical training in small areas along the center. Nor did I
have the opportunity to visit the restaurant on the 35th floor, atop the tall tower.

Energy conservation policy is in effect; if you want the sheets washed, leave the official note on the bed. If you want the towels washed, leave them on the floor of the bathroom. Otherwise, they would not be changed during your stay.

Unfortunately, our convention occurred over the 4th of July weekend. Most restaurants were closed on the 4th and 5th. That meant only two workers on duty Monday morning for 2,000+ hungry people
who had to catch a bus by 7:30 AM.
Breakfast of low-fat granola cereal, a 2 oz container of milk, one glass jar of juice and 1 medium coffee cost $14.24.

The banquet, for the most part, was well done;
at my table one person collected the tickets reflecting choice of entree; two other waiters seemed terribly confused as to the number of chicken and beef dinners desired.

The outdoor reception (for which convention guests paid $15 each) left something to be desired. The champagne flowed freely; reaching the hors d'oeuvres required standing in a long line.

Price for convention goers was $155 per night for 1 or 2 per room, plus 14% tax and 0.8% surcharge.

If you want downtown location, you have the choice of the WB or the Wilshire Grand.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2004

Dark, bleak and depressing. Small old rooms even on refurbished level. NO safes in room, and odd shaped. Good price if you need to stay downtown. Lobby and interior DARK with little in the way of shops and dining. Would NOT stay there again!

2  Thank Barbara B
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 28, 2004

We stayed for one night in June 2004 at the Bonaventure on a Hotels $100/night room rate. Overall, our stay was good - the bed was amazingly comfortable and on the 25th floor, we had a beautiful view of downtown (and all the lights at night).

I had the SAME problem as another reviewer - I reserved and pre-paid for a king sized bed online, and arrived to find we had been assigned a queen sized bed, right next to the elevator (like someone mentioned - anyone in the glass elevator could see right in our room if our curtains were open). I called the front desk and asked to be moved to a king sized bed room, and the woman was very friendly and accomodating and told me to come right down to get a room change. But when I went downstairs, I got a bit of attitude from a different front desk attendant, who said, "What? You don't like your room?" and sort of acted like I was being funny to request to move to the type of room I had pre-paid for.

I wish I had known about the $6 parking around the corner! I did pay $22, but the staff was very nice and let me stay more than 24 hours (From 11:00 a.m. to about 4 p.m. the next day, and I was charged for only one day/overnight stay.) The rotating rooftop bar was a cute place to see the downtown buildings while drinking fruity, pricey drinks. The "mall/food court" part of this hotel is pretty cheesy, 1980s style (orange plastic tables with chairs bolted to the ground) and depressing, but there are plenty of better places to eat outside the hotel.

I was very happy with my re-assigned room - great bed, pillows, shower, and view, and no one from the elevator could see in after I moved. I would stay here again. Also, it's close to the Standard, so you can stay in the Bonaventure (if you're a bit older or not up for a party atmosphere all night), and just get a couple drinks at the Standard to check out the action there.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 24, 2004

we stayed at the westin bonaventure for 5 nights in march, with our 4-year-old daughter. as soon as we checked-in, my daughter was offered a nice kids bag, containing a cup with straw and a cap. my husband was running the marathon, and the hotel was right between the start and finish lines! the staff was nice and attentive, and the concierge always happy to help. I must say I was a bit unsure after reading some reviews, but we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel, and found the room to be very comfortable. we reccomend this hotel if you are planning to stay in the downtown area.

4  Thank claudiaspiandorim