“One for the bucket-list!”

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #50 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have lived 40 minutes outside of Los Angeles all my life, so I've driven by the Bonaventure many times. My husband and I were being treated to dinner at Flemming's, so I thought it would be lovely to stay downtown rather than making the drive after a lovely meal and cocktails. I used SPG points, from our American Express Card ,to book the room online. Parking at the Bonaventure is $40/day -valet. Give yourself at least 15 extra minutes when you want to call for your car because this is a HUGE hotel and the valet is very busy! Check in was easy. SPG members have special check-in desk. Ricardo checked us in. He was great! We were upgraded to a suite on the 17th floor- an SPG member floor. We had lovely views of downtown from both the bedroom and the living area. These suites have two bathrooms, a small fridge, a coffee/tea maker and two televisions. WiFi is an additional fee. The room appeared recently renovated; however, I did expect it to be a bit more elegant than it actually was. It was nice, but rather simply decorated. The fixtures were not as high-end as I had imagined they would be. We took a taxi to Flemming's from the hotel. We waited about 30 seconds for a taxi to drive up to pick us up.
After dinner, we had a drink in the hotel's top floor Bona Vista Lounge. It is a rotating bar that you must visit. They give you Chex Mix at the cozy, outward facing booths, so you can enjoy the view out the tremendous windows. We also visited the Lakeview Bistro in the Lobby for the breakfast buffet. It was a lovely buffet with both American & Asian standards. The orange juice was amazing. We felt like the buffet was a "deal" in such an upscale hotel. The hotel staff was polite ,and we enjoyed our stay. I will mention that I did awake during the middle of the night to the sounds of the freeway/traffic a couple of times. If you're staying downtown in the middle of everything, you certainly shouldn't be expecting silence.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mombinni
There are newer reviews for The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Not exactly my type of hotel. Huge, unpersonal service, but it is very well located downtown, it has a good restaurant on the top ( great views ), a revolving bar with great wine list and appetizers. Also has a starbucks on the lobby.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Well the outside of the hotel looks amazing. It seems like this could have been a great hotel but it is not that good. The rooms are small and is in need of renovation. I don't like when hotels don't provide free Internet access (hey it is 2013) and the Internet access cost a lot and you need to pay for each device that you want to be connected. Other then this there are a few shops in the building, nothing of interest though. You can find cheaper and better hotels nearby.

1  Thank Lasrod
lmccue77, Director of Sales at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We appreciate your comments regarding our iconic building and your view from outside. Complimentary internet is available at several locations in the hotel, including our lobby court, restaurants and lounge. There are also several of the leased restaurants that offer complimentary service as well. Try becoming an SPG member where you can earn points towards free stays, upgrades, internet access and welcome amenities.

Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Checked in hotel with Ricardo, he was very friendly, efficient, and got everything done just as expected.
Crashed into some smoking rooms, but of course that's not anyone's fault but the guests', switched rooms, done, great. LOVE THE BED!
Loved the whole hotel, but the restaurant where I bought my sushi on the 4th floor was NASTY. 3.99 plus tax for 6 pieces of soft sticky rice sushi. the owner ought to know.
overall a very very nice hotel! Will come back for sure!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Despite my poor experience last time, I returned because it's where I could get the best deal. This time, check-in was fast - but overall, it's still a mixed bag.

Plus: Excellent fitness center available 24 hours.
Lots of good food choices within the hotel-opolis - I liked the gyro sandwich and the Korean BBQ.

Minus: $40 parking per night
Key didn't work second night and I had to wait 20 mins. at midnight before the one worker at the desk was done with the couple in front of me. There were 7 people behind me by the time I left. Hotel needs a second person at the desk at all hours.
Freeway noise even on the 17th floor.
No newspaper on second day.
No do-not-disturb sign.

I'd still stay here again because of the price (through a discounter), gym, and food - but I don't think it's worthy of the Westin name.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ikura

Thanks for your review and your kind words regarding the services and products that you found to your liking at the Westin Bonaventure. I have passed on your comments to our front office management team and our housekeeping team regarding the service items you were not pleased with. While we do from time to time offer discounts through outside providers, try checking thebonaventure.com for specials and packages that may meet your needs a little better as they are discounts with value adds as compared to just the guest room.

Thanks for staying with us and thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Westin Bonaventure! I traveled to LA for a vacation with my boyfriend. He has stayed at this hotel before and raved about how nice the hotel was, so he recommended that we stay the Bonaventure. I'm glad we stayed here! We stayed for 2 nights. The hotel has a great location in downtown LA, close to the Walt Disney Concert Hall and all of the fun attractions at LA Live. This was a plus for us during our stay in May because we attended a concert at the concert hall and thus, didn't have far to travel in order to get there. The hotel is very well kept both inside and out. We drove and used the valet service which was excellent. The valet staff was very friendly and were prompt with retrieving our car when we needed to leave out for the day, etc. The hotel front desk staff were also very welcoming, friendly and helpful. The check-in process was simple and didn't take too long. For example, my boyfriend and I were asking for suggestions for a good restaurant/lounge to go to on our first night there. One of the front desk staff went out of his way to offer suggestions and provided us a map with directions on how to get there. (The place we ended up going to was also fun! Great suggestion from the staff!) The hotel room was very clean and comfortable. We had a great view from the 22nd floor. The bed was super comfortable and nice linens. I also liked that the room furniture and bathroom had modern decor. I also had the chance to have dinner at the lobby restaurant. The food was very good and the service was also prompt and done with a smile :-) If I am in the downtown LA area again, I will certainly stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank docsurglace
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I'd describe Bonaventure as a city within the city.

The Hotel property offers just about anything a traveler would need from fast food to fine dining. Above street skyways connect the hotel to urban parks and surrounding buildings.

Very courteous check-in staff, housekeeping and valet parking.

The property is very well kept and the outdoor pool is awesome.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business