“You get for what you paid”

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #60 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary, Canada
“You get for what you paid”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Overall it's a good business hotel. Nice and very comfortable king-size bed. I like the toiletries that they provided and spacious washroom with bathtub..location is okay, not that far from the subway station (2,3 blocks away) since i was staying here for a really short 2-days trip. However there's NO free wifi , you have to go to the lobby to get free wifi access. We arrived at the hotel around midnight after a really long flight from Asia, but the restaurant in the hotel doesn't open until late night, not many choices with bar's food (for late dinner)..

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed in the Westin Bonaventure Hotel in downtown LA for a conference earlier this month for 8 nights and was pleasantly surprised by my stay. As it was where the conference was held, I stayed there for convenience sake but ended up really liking my stay.

The hotel is massive, with 4 towers and several levels of shopping below. My check in process was easy and as a helpful hint, become a Starwood preferred member (it helps!). I got my internet for free and 2 free bottles of water each day.

My room was great. There was a mini-fridge (very handy), a super comfy bed, and the rain shower in the bathroom was heavenly! There was also a good selection of TV channels, and the room was very clean.

As for the rest of the hotel, it looks a bit older and some of the shopping areas were a bit empty. It also was so large, that it was a bit confusing. But it was handy to have dining options (such as Subway) located inside the hotel. There also was an outdoor pool and fitness centre, but I didn't have time to use either.

The hotel did have a business centre (provided by FedEx) inside, which was really handy for printing last minute copies of my presentation. Was a bit pricey ($.60 per page), but it had all the supplies I needed. There also was a car rental office in the hotel as well.

In terms of the hotel's location, it was pretty good. You can walk to downtown attractions such as the Museum of Modern Art and the Walt Disney concert hall. The hotel is 2 blocks north of the red line subway (7th street station). There is a Ralph's grocery store 5 blocks south (at 9th street), which sounds far, but is really about a 20 minute walk maximum. There is a Macy's about 2 blocks south, and several drug stores also 2 blocks south at 7th. There are many great restaurants within walking distance (in particular on Flower street).

I asked the concierge many times for assistance and suggestions, and they were always very helpful and provided me with good ideas. There was sometimes even 2 staff members on hand there to help out the guests, which was great.

All this being said, the location of the hotel did pose some challenges. The downtown area does have a very visible homeless population, and it can cause some concerns for being walking at night. I always felt fine during the day, but was a bit cautious at night. The immediate area around the hotel was fine, but even a block or two south (in particular when leaving the subway) felt a bit different. So it is something to watch for.

Also, really pay attention to the location of the attractions you want to see in LA and the location of the hotel you pick. I wanted to visit several places (in particular the Getty museum), that was almost impossible without a car from the hotel. So the Westin works well if you want to see downtown attractions, but if you want to go to the beach, you may want to pick a hotel that is closer.

So all in all, I had a wonderful stay at the Westin and would highly recommend it!

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Staying at the Westin Bonaventure was a real treat. The rooms are large and very comfortable; I had a great view of the Hollywood sign from my desk; and the hotel is very clean. I slept wonderfully. One of the highlights is riding in the elevators. I know that sounds lame but they are mounted on the outside of the hotel and move very quickly - if you are going up or down from the 30th floor, you will get that stomach dropping sensation similar to a roller coaster ride. As an active person I always choose a hotel with a gym. The Westin's gym is hands down the best hotel gym I've ever seen. It has lots of free weights and most of the standard machines. It doesn't have bosus or balls, but a good number of cardio equipment was available. There are several restaurants on site, plus non-hotel owned restaurants in an upper level of the hotel, food-court style. I only visited one of these restaurants but I have to say, none of them looked very appetizing. There is a brewpub on the 5th floor which had decent food and good beer. I didn't get out to the pool but it looked amazing, with lots of space to just sit and read a book. There are great restaurants surrounding the hotel, plus some affordable and healthy lunch options.

Room Tip: I had a great view out to the Hollywood sign but a colleague complained that her hotel room faced an...
Jackson, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I don't get to Los Angeles often and am usually on business in the San Francisco area. I had a conference to go to in downtown Los Angeles and all I remembered years ago was a dismal skid row feel. Well! No more! Downtown has been transformed into a vibrant glass and steel center with great hotels and some very good food. I was at the Bonaventure and besides its amazing modernist style, which I adored, the rooms while modest in size were nice with some good views and the staff was super friendly. If you haven't been to Downtown in the last few years, don't hold back. The Bonaventure has been used in a lot of movies and if you look at images you will see why. My favorite besides the Millenium.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ones close to elevators. They are outside ones and some go up and down just feet...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I spent a week here for a conference recently. The architecture and design of the building is a bit odd and difficult to navigate at times. The highlight of the week was the service me and a fellow guest received from the staff. Particularly, I would like to give special thanks to Keith, who was working the front desk when I checked in as well as other days of the week. He was super friendly and professional. He happened to be working when I had a very long list of questions (twice), and he never got impatient with me. I appreciate his willingness to welcome me and my party to downtown Los Angeles with superior customer service. I hope his supervisors/managers see this post. He deserves to be recognized for his hard work.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past 20 years. This time was by far the worst experience I have had at this hotel. Below are my top 3 reasons why I won't be staying at this hotel again:

1) 15 minute wait to check in (unacceptable)
2) I stayed there overnight after a concert and unfortunately, the 1980's alarm clock that someone else had set went off not once, but twice at 5:30am and 5:45am. The hotel should check this in advance of anyone new checking in
3) Their heavenly beds are no longer heavenly. I was very unimpressed.

It is for these reasons that I will not be going out of my way to return any time soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed for 5 days and the hotel was full due to a conference. The hotel obviously knew of this and yet had only 2 check in persons there while additional 8 counters for check in were empty. The result was that check in took almost 30 minutes. The elevators were woefully slow-10-15 minute wait was standard. The exhibit hall in the basement had poor lighting and kept very cold. Strange- as on one hand they were trying to save the energy and on the other hand they were cooling to 62 degrees. Over head light covers were broken and cracked