“A great place to stay”

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #51 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This hotel was selected for me to stay at during a business trip. This hotel is rather large with a huge lobby/retail area and guest rooms situated in different towers. My room/bathroom were great--clean and well kept. The bed and pillows were comfortable and the shower had excellent water pressure. The biggest drawback was the walls--I don't know if they were "thin" or if my "neighbors" were just loud (they were morning people raring to go at 5 A.M.).

I also ate breakfast at the hotel, twice, which is unusual for me. I chose the "ultimate" breakfast buffet which included the buffet, coffee, what tasted like fresh squeezed o.j., and an omelette with 3 fillings. The buffet items (sausage, bacon, egg whites, etc) were fresh and constantly stocked. The omelette I had was perfect--fluffy eggs and fresh vegetables. I also need to note that my server was very pleasant and attentive.

While I am referring to staff, everyone from receptionists to concierge to housekeepers seemed sincerely happy to help.

The biggest drawback to this hotel is the area in which it is located--Downtown LA. It is conveniently near the Staples Center and LA Convention Center, but other than businesses, restaurants, and hotels, this area has nothing to do. However, the Metro subway is very close to the hotel and is easy to use--and I felt safe the one evening I travelled on it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Czarcinski, General Manager at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for your stay while in Los Angeles and taking the time to post a review. It is nice to get from Downtown to Hollywood and Universal on the Metro. We will share your comments with the team and thank you again.

MC

Write a ReviewReviews (2,942)

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Was in Los Angeles for a wedding and stayed here for two nights with my daughters. The hotel is not new, but we felt very well cared for and the views were outstanding. If you are thinking about this as a discount hotel, look elsewhere, but see below for my tips on getting a cheaper rate.

Restaurant is expensive, but is on the top floor and rotates. The food was really very good. I, had a great time and would return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: I was able to get rates reduced by half by doing the online bidding thing at Priceline. You will ne...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing the Westin Bonaventure. We appreciate your comments regarding our staff. Thank you so much and we appreciate your choice while staying in Downtown Los Angeles.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have stayed here a couple of times, each for work but also with my wife. the first few floors hold parking, reception and bar, shopping and conference rooms and the lifts don't go to all floors.

layed out with 4 sets of lifts (coloured differently) the lifts look out onto Los Angeles. a great idea however if you are in a room by the lift and don't close your curtains at night everyone in the lift can see into your room. and those in rooms facing the swimming pool, the glass isn't mirrored on the outside, you wandering around your room naked can be seen by all outside.

the rooms are nice but you get a lot of road noise no matter which floor you are on. and it does have a rotating restaurant at the top. parking really expensive.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing the Westin Bonaventure while in Downtown Los Angeles. Tip you can use any elevator to get to any tower just go to your numbered floor and follow the sign for room numbers. Thanks again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Westin Bonaventure is a very iconic Los Angeles landmark having been featured in countless films and the sitcom It's A Living because of its futuristic architecture. In some angles however, the spectacular cylindrical building is dwarfed by the skyscrapers that have grown around it. The parking is very expensive! Do not rent a car if you can help it. Once inside, the lobby is enormous, and it may take you time to find the front desk. The fountains are sometimes on, or off, depending on the time, and for some people the noise may be annoying.
I liked having the feel of being in a busy hotel where you can hear the sound of water, music from the club, different events going on. Check in is easy, but finding your room may be a challenge. There are several towers, but you will find your way eventually. It is mind boggling how this building was conceptualized and created into a functioning entity.
They charge for wi fi and it doesnt always work. The rooms itself are nice and afford you a great view of the city, but the hotel needs updating. The lobby feels like it is stil in the 70's around the time it was built, but the scenic elevators are the best part if you have no fear of heights! (Remember Towering Inferno?)
The hotel is very centrally located, and there are skywalks that connect it to the street or nearby buildings. It is a short distance from the Disney Concert Hall, the MOCA, the Cathedral, Olvera Street, Chinatown, LA Live, Staples Center, Nokia Theater etc.
I still would stay here for the SPG points and for the love of beautiful architecture, but it can use an update that would still respect it's place in LA history!

Room Tip: High Floors offer great views!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Thank you very much for the review and for choosing The Westin Bonaventure when you come to Los Angeles. The fact that you are a SPG, Starwood Preferred GUest is greta to get feedback from our members and we appreciate that you stay at The Westin Bonaventure. Thanks again for the feedback we will continue to impprove and share the praise where given..Thank you.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

My wife recently had a conference in LA and we stayed at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel for 6 nights. Let me start out and say that it is a beautiful hotel and has every amenity that you could imagine and the staff goes out of its way to accommodate your every need. My son (2 yrs old) loved the all glass elevators and the heated pool, and the food court was not that bad as well. The last night we were there and the view from the 35th floor was amazing. I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

Room Tip: The way the hotel is setup with four columns elevators are accessible from every room in a matter of...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your review. Our Convention guests stay hear over 140,000 times per year and we appreciate your fedback. Thanks for Choosing The Westin Bonaventure.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I travel all the time and I have NEVER had the experiences as I had here. Tried to check in on a Sat night. No signs outside the hotel, no bellman, no doorman, no valet. Drove around the corner and found a doorman and informed him we were checking in. Instead of offering to help with luggage, he directed us "50 ft forward" to the valet WHICH WAS FULL, even for guests. We were directed to the parking lot across the street where there was no one to help with bags. Had to go up and down elevators, escalators and stairs with bags to check in. When I complained, was given validation cards for the parking which, when I tried to use the next day, had expired. There was a party at the pool that provided extremely loud music, eventho we were on the 26th floor, till after 11:30 pm. I spoke to the mgr who admitted communication problems and told me she hoped we'd consider the Westin the next time I'm in LA. I don't think so. There are far better options in downtown LA than this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights at the absolute end of a longish vacation.It served our purpose of being well located within walking distance from the train station and buses which connect you to most attractions (in case you are not driving).
The hotel interiors are a bit dated but they have a food court and a cafe for some quick bites.
The rooms are comfortable and decent.They could do with more people sitting at the concierge counter during peak hours.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple