“IMPERSONAL WESTIN”

GreenLeadersGold level
Denver, Colorado
“IMPERSONAL WESTIN”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

This Westin has been recently renovated--nice! Rooms are small, because they are pie-shaped resulting from the five cylindrical towers that make up this property. The property is massive, making it somewhat impersonal. The vast majority of the staff was distant. A night club, Suede, is literally at the front entrance of the hotel. It gets VERY loud and I witnessed first-hand several intoxicated patrons exiting the club and entering the vast lobby. The BEST aspect of this hotel is the food. Buffets aren't generally my favorite, but this was the BEST buffet breakfast I've had in a hotel--ever. Daringly, I decided to try the lunch buffet. It, too, was excellent. Making the buffets even better was a food and beverage manager, Soraya N., who was very sweet and accommodating. Working VERY hard, and possessing the BEST personality of any employee I encountered was restaurant worker Moises. He is young, but has a great work ethic, is outgoing, and has a pleasant personality. Hopefully someone from the hotel will help mentor him for a future in the industry. On a sad note, ALL food outlets close in this hotel by 10:30, except for a brewery with limited food until 12. This is far too early in a hotel this large and in this location, with nothing close-by to walk to later in the evening. I mentioned to the above Soraya that perhaps room service could be ordered in the sprawling lobby bar area and at least eaten there, as opposed to being eaten in one's small pie-shaped room!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oakland, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

I arrived at midnight and was told my room wasn't ready. What? How can it not be ready when check-in time is 4 and I had a reservation in advance? I wasn't alone: at least a dozen others were waiting, some with young kids. I was told the wait would be about 30 mins. It was 1-1/2 hours. At 1:30 a.m. I was finally given a room. (They gave me breakfast to compensate.)

Stepping into the shower at that hour, I saw that the maid service had forgotten to leave shampoo. I called and requested it when I got out of the shower, but had to call again the next morning before it was delivered.

On the plus side: the architecture is interesting, and the hotel itself is like a small city. Monica at the front desk was nice, given the bad cards she had to play with. But I'd still never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ikura
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Yes i know i booked the hotel via hotwire on a special rate but does that mean i am a second rate customer in this oh-so-historical four star hotel?

I called in 5 (yes that is FIVE) times to the hotel. The first time, customer service by the name of Maria put me on hold which took forever, so long that the song line went flat (no song anymore, am I still on hold???). Second time, she sounded annoyed and suddenly the line got cut off (REALLY?). The third and fourth time, nobody picked up my call, I had to call using a different number to get another person on the line, a Melanie or something.

This person informed me that my name is in their booking list but there is no way to know what room type nor bed type I will be getting during my upcoming stay. I just have to come on the date of the check in and see what's available on that day. And by the way, she said it in the most condescending nonchalant tone too.

REALLY? REALLY REALLY? Fantastic.

Makes me really think if this is a 4 star Starwood Hotel with such customer service. Seriously i hope the hotel is much more pleasant than the people who were handling my calls. This is just bad customer service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Booked for $200/night on priceline for a weekend. Room was modern and spacious, and the lobby and pool area and restaurants were fantastic - all surpassed my expectations. On the other hand, this is an enormous hotel, and when it comes to service, it shows (my room wasn't cleaned every day, and when it was, towels were left on the floor sometimes, etc.). But overall I thought it was perfect for what it is (i.e., convenient, nice hotel in downtown LA for conference or, like in my case, you are there for something in Santa Monica but don't want to pay the exorbitant prices to stay there).

Valet parking is expensive, but compared to other alternatives, the best option. Service down there was fast and easy - never had any problems.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights here from June 27th through July 1st. We have stayed here many times. You can not ignor the design of the hotel--it is unique and as far as I have seen there is nothing else like it. Inside, there are several stories with restaurants salons diners and shops. The hotel itself is almost a maze inside, with escalators and stairs starting and ending, It is actually fun to walk around in this hotel. I had just had surgery at USC hospital so it was great for me! The staff were all very pleasant and came right away when we called. The management is so good--they actually gave us a room with a built in shower chair fridge and had a microwave waiting for us prior to check in. We love the fresh fruit and sandwiches at the Health Winner--and it was reasonably priced. There is also a great little pizza buffet next door to the Health Winner and of course our teenages have always loved eating there. I don't think there is a bad view in the entire hotel. We were on the 26th floor with a great view of the pool (which is just beautiful). The rooms do show a little wear but not bad. There is always something interesting at the hotel. There happened to be an anime-con at the hotel while we were there and it made for some interesting photos! All in all an amazing hotel with positive, helpful staff.

Room Tip: We love the higher rooms as you have great views of the city
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

wad at this hotel for the afscme convention june 16 to 23. Service was fantastic. You can take metro to any place. Many places to eat. Only con: door to room would get stuck

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank mama425
Zurich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

We booked this as the last stay on our trip, before flying out of LAX the next day. Didn't do our homework properly (as someone else wrote before me) - downtown LA isn't really a place that you must have seen when in LA, there are much better options.

Once there, the hotel is quite impressive with its architecture, the 4 towers etc. The room was newly refurbished and really nice. We didn't do much but sleep there, had breakfast in the lobby bar (they sell Starbucks coffee) and then left.

Some small gripes (similar to other 4 star hotels on our trip, but you know this before so not really worth complaining...):
Everything costs extra - valet parking 38 dollars (you can't self park in the hotel); internet access is only free in the lobby, in the room you pay the usual 12 dollars as in other hotels.

The house keeping service in the morning was really annoying - first time knocked on the door at 8am; then every half hour again, even when we had the Do not disturb sign outside - and we were checking out that day anyway...

I wouldn't stay here again - not because of the hotel, just the location isn't for us. There's not much to do in downtown for tourists, and it doesn't look safe to be outside after dark as the area is deserted. Not the hotel's fault though...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for the review. I appreciate the choice of the Westin Bonaventure while in Los Angeles. While not right next to some of the attractions we are centrally located and close to the Metro for a 15 minute train to Hollywood or 30 minutes to Universal. Being spread out most hotels have commutes the good thing about us is we are right in the middle and a good base with the train so close two blocks away. Thanks again.

MC