Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Sunset Plaza Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$296
  • Breakfast included
$127
  • Pool
The Westin Los Angeles Airport(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
$129
  • Beachfront
$254
Omni Hotels
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfree parkingbagelscontinental breakfastwalking distancefront officereasonable ratesrooms are cleanhousekeeping staffconvenient locationstaples centerbed was very comfortablecvsdowntownneighborhoodproximitybeddingsoap
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My wife and I have stayed here several times since our daughter attended USC. It is walking distance to campus and convenient to several restaurants and entertainment venues. Usually clean, but not spotless. In past visits we have asked for maintenance to re-vacuum as it was very dusty under the window unit air conditioner/heater and also to re-attach the hair drier holder to the wall. It is for the most part simple and bare minimum rooms. Some are in better condition than others, so ask to see the room you are given before you commit. The noise level varies from one night to the next. It seems that there has been a change in management or ownership this year as the attitude has changed towards its customers. Our last 2 visits, the manager was not available. Ever. Even though we left a number to call back, there was never a call. I waited 20 minutes in the lobby when she finally emerged from a back office and claimed to know nothing about my complaints. I was curious as to why my room had not been cleaned for the day even though I was gone from 11 AM to the evening and there was also no hot water that day. My wife had a similar experience in February with the manager being unavailable. The front desk makes excuses for her. They used to have in-room coffee makers, but have been removed since the beginning of the school year. You can get coffee in the lobby. We had a positive experience the last 3 years, but this year has been much less at this hotel. Now, you are there for them and they will take your money, but they are not there for you. The manager's name is Joann Reyes. You will find her only some place other than the Vagabond taking care of business. This motel is recommended only for the convenience of its location to USC and as a last choice. The Radisson down the street is closer to the campus and stadium. There are also several hotels downtown which are a 5 minute drive to campus. Both those options will cost you more money. The Vagabond will cost you more in hassle and quality of service.

Room Tip: The rooms in the west sun are hot. The rooms by the pool are in poor condition.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Larry P
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience with us.
Your feedback is important to us as it is used for quality and training purposes.

I offer you my sincerest apology for the inconvenience with your stay. I am glad we came to an agreement the day we spoke. Hopefully when you return in May to stay with us again you do not have any problems at all.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Clean, simple. Kind of expensive at $150/night for what you are getting. Air conditioning worked well. Felt very safe in the area. Very short walk to USC's beautiful campus. Wifi worked well. Standard TV.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience with many other travelers. We are happy to hear you had a good stay. All feedback obtained from our Guest is valuable as it helps us for improvement. We hope next time you are with in the area you stay with us. Thank you!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

booked Two rooms, situated the booking and payment with NAZNEEN & she made this trip stress FREE & gave me a sense of peace along with reasonable pricing (this place is Super expensive per night), understanding my situation as a student. Without Nazneen, this place would never get my service. Next time you're in, ask for her. She's the best & she'll work with you! If you want to get ripped off, feel free to go in when she's NOT working.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your recent stay. We value your opinion as it is important to us to know what our Guest's think of our location.
We are glad Nazneen was able to assist you and was able to better assist you with your needs. All of our staff is great and I am sure they would have also been able to assist and give you the same great customer service Nazneen provided. We hope to see you in the near future. Thank you!

Sincerely Joana!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I stayed here one night with my wife and son for a visit to USC. The redeeming quality about this motel is that it's a block away from campus and is relatively value-priced. Other than that it's just your basic motel. I say motel because all the rooms open to the parking lot. While this is convenient if you're coming and going quite a bit, it comes with the possibility of a lot of noise.

Someone in an adjacent room started a party around 8pm that spun out of control, spilling out into the parking lot. There was loud shouting and banging on walls, as if someone was throwing furniture against them. We put up with it for a bit, but just as we were going to call the desk the cops showed up and broke things up without incident.

As mentioned, the motel is a block off campus. As such, it's also close to numerous places to eat and drink. There's a small continental breakfast in the lobby, just some pastry and beverages, and a few chairs to sit on. The room was of decent size and had a microwave and fridge. The TV was large, but wasn't hooked up to a high-definition signal. The AC/heater didn't seem to work very well, although we didn't really need it so I didn't mention it. The ironing board was missing, but we didn't need that either. The bathroom needs some updating, patching, and cleaning. The beds were comfortable. The woman at the front desk was pleasant and helpful, including recommending a good place to eat.

My wife said she would prefer to stay elsewhere if we're back in the area, but my son and I wouldn't have any problem staying there again.

Room Tip: Given the noisy party in the parking lot right outside our room, I'd probably ask for a 2nd floor room next time.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay. We appreciate and value your opinion. We hope within the near future you stay with us again. Congratulations to your son for being part of the Trojan Family.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

The Vagabond Hotel is a very convenient place to stay if you are going to a concert at the nearby Shrine Auditorium. It is only two blocks away and makes getting to a show stress-free. The location, and the fact that they have a parking lot to park the rental car, was the prime reason we chose to stay here. We didn't have time on this trip to check out the museums on and near USC but they are also just a pleasant stroll away. As far as I could tell, there was only one other rather expensive hotel nearby.

As far as Los Angeles hotels go, it was about average in price. The front office staff also weren't really the greatest with helping find local sites. Parking, as mentioned by others, can be difficult. We also arrived during a football game and it was packed, but so was the hotel (with alumni I'm assuming). We never bothered with the minimal breakfast as great restaurants are all over LA (Farmers Market, for example). We took advantage of the inexpensive train/subway system to get to downtown and Hollywood without having to worry about driving and parking in those areas. The station is just a few blocks away.

This is a somewhat noisy hotel. It is right next to a dormitory and when they are partying, well---so are you! Door slamming was also a problem even though we were tucked in a corner of the hotel. We just made the most of it and when we did get to sleep, we slept well. The carpeting shows its age even though it wasn't dirty since the housekeeping did an admirable job of cleaning the room.

A refrigerator is provided which you can stock with items purchased from the large nearby CVS store. Also worth mentioning is the beautifully maintained flowers all around the hotel. The bird-of-paradises were a wonderful sight each time we left the room.

In summary, if you have business or pleasure nearby, I recommend the Vagabond Hotel and would have no problem staying here when returning to LA.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LoneStarTrippin
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Guest (Lone Star Trippin),

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review us. All of the feedback is extremely valuable to us as it is used for quality and training purposes. We are glad to know you had a good experience with us. Hopefully in the near future if you are around LA area you stay with us.