“Nice place”

Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC
Ranked #144 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I had really nice time and no problems at this hotel.

Room Tip: I had really nice time and no problems at this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

Your feedback is important to us as we use it for quality and training purposes.

We hope next time you need a place for the night wether it is for business or leisure
you think of Vagabond Inn great value friendly people.

Best Regards-Joana

Reviewed May 23, 2012

When I first arrived in LA to study at USC some eons ago now, my first stop was Vagabond. I would never had known about it but for a friend who recommended it. As a poor student, it was great place. Walking distance to 'SC and near eateries. The only downside was the used (the word "pre-owned" came later) car lots around the place.

So eons later, I decided to return to check out Vagabond.

I'm told I am staying in the new wing (that's the wing shown in the photo). Otherwise, it's more or less as I recall. You have a large bed in the centre of the room. The tv hangs on the opposite wall. (In the old days, it was the CRT tv.) A small dining table next to the glass wall. A writing table next to the tv.

Then you have this alcove that has the sink, mini-fridge, open racks to hang your clothes, and then the bathroom.

The aircon is the box-type (can't remember when I last slept in a room with a box aircon) and is somewhat noisy. Speaking of which, noise does enter the room because of the large single-glaze panel shielded from the outside by curtains. I travel with earplugs so I whipped them out.

Bathroom amenities were basic (soap and shampoo only, no body lotion) but I anticipated that. So I also whipped out my own soap, shampoo and lotion.

Breakfast was not for me. Bread and pastries with cheese and I cannot take cheese. So all I had was coffee. It was not a big deal for me as my meeting included a proper breakfast.

Wifi was free. As is parking.

The room worked well for me. US$145 all in. Walking distance to 'SC. And I was there from breakfast, returning after dinner.

If you have to stay in the room for any length of time awake, then the motel may not work for you. Otherwise, for a basic room where you return to sleep, and have to buy some of your own amenities and take breakfast outside, it's a good deal.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This isn't the newest hotel in town, but it is perfect for a short overnight stay. We went to a concert at the Colliseum and didn't want to have to drive back to OC. We walked to the concert and dinner. The room was clean - obviously not luxurious but that was ok. The staff were very nice and accommodating. The only reason I did not give a five rating is that it was noisy. Be prepared to hear people talking, cars in the parking, doors closing, etc. If you are tired enough, then it really shouldn't matter though. I would recommend this hotel if you aren't staying long.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room, it might cut down on the noise.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Vagabond Inn LAUSC property and for taking the time to review our Hotel. Your feedback is important to us.

Your opinion is very important to us this helps us improve the quality of our services including Front Desk, Housekeeping, and Management.

I am happy to hear you had a satisfactory stay and that we met your expectations.

Joana Reyes-GM

Reviewed May 5, 2012

We were charged $141 in total for the room, which was a complete rort (it was late on Fri night and we had a lack of options at this point). The hotel felt seedy, and we immediately removed all items from our car so they wouln't be stolen. A group of young kids were staying at the motel and they were noisy until at least 2am and appeared drunk. Other young people were hooning in and out of the car park all night. In addition we had NO TOWELS provided, the toilet lid was broken and the toilet seat completely missing!!!! I tried to report it to the front desk when checking out, but they were busy serving a customer who seemed to be drugged up. Altogether not a nice experience, particularly given the inflated price.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lyndel K
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Dear Guest,
I would like thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor. Your feedback enables us to further enhance our service and product to our guests.
I apologize for the inconvenience during your past stay with us. It is very important to make sure our guests feel safe during their visit. There is someone who is always staffed at the hotel 24 hours 7 days a week. We also have security cameras that are monitored throughout the day and night. In addition, there are city ambassadors and USC patrol that watch the USC area to insure safety on campus and the surrounding areas. Housekeeping is in charge of thoroughly cleaning each room and also attends to anything in the room that needs maintenance. I would be more than happy to speak with you about your past stay so feel free to contact me.

Joana-GM

Reviewed March 18, 2012

My husband and I were very satisfied with Vagabond Inn with its cleanliness and excellent location to downtown LA & USC. The room we had was on the second floor, which was a little further from the street. This was good because we could hear the sirens very often, though not loudly. If it were a room near the street, I could imagine it could get quite noisy. We especially want to thank Jasmine and Nazneen who were extremely helpful with tips and directions to various sights and attractions in LA. Bravo! Jasmine and Nazneen! However, the same thing cannot be said about Samantha, who said she was not from LA and was new on the job. Whenever we approached her for help, she never made an effort to help us, not even by searching the Internet or asking somebody else who might have the information. To be fair we didn't expect her to know everything, neither did Jasmine nor Nazneen, but Samantha just wasn't helpful at all. It was very frustrating for us because we were very new to LA, having flown almost 19 hours from Singapore. Anyway, our experience and impression were not marred by her. We just want to thank Vagabond Inn and the people we met for a wonderful experience in LA. Reviewed by S.F. Chin - Singapore
18 March 2012

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank WauSingapore
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your recent stay and business at our Vagabond Inn Los Angeles USC location.

We are glad to hear our staff assisted you in a timely manner with your needs and questions.

We hope next time you travel to Los Angeles you think of Vagabond Inns Hotels.

Thank you for taking the time to review our Vagabond Inn Los Angeles USC property.

Joana Reyes -GM

Reviewed March 17, 2012

In my second day in the frontdesk, I overheard a clerk told the other traveler that vagabondinn can arrange shuttle bus for customers travelling from the inn to LAX airport at the cost of US16 (for the bus trip). I felt assured to get that information. When I was assisted to place a call to arrange the shuttle bus one day upon my checkout, I was quoted with a fee of US18 + tips (about 2.00), so I asked the clerk on duty that day (Nazneen) for clarification. The 18+2 price was new to Nazneen too, so she took over and talk to the bus call center. I was very imprssed that Nazneen negotiated for my interest (or of all residents at vagabondinn) with very solid and presuasive reasons, although my original intention was to clarify rather than negotiate. As a non-native travellers in USA, I really appreciate that vagabondinn has clerks who are willing to volunteer important information and negotiate for their cumstomers' interest and can handle things nicely.

The only thing I'm not used to is this: to get your breakfast you need to travel from your room to another building where the front desk is located. (but I guess that's the arrangement it has to be).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2012

If you have to stay USC, this is it. It is just across the street sandwiched between two private student housing complexes. This used to be in a sketchy neighborhood, and "under construction buildings" but that has been changed as of Fall 2011. If you have a child living in University Gateway, it is great for visiting on many levels. We have stayed at many nice hotels downtown but you can beat this location. There is nothing fancy but it works, price is great and the rooms are functional and clean. Free internet, free parking and 10th night is free. Great deal

Room Tip: Lots of eating places within walking distance. A block away from Galen and the USC campus. We like...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Diane H
CVAdmin, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Thank you very much for the review, We really are tuck in to a special spot in downtown LA. We really expect this area to just get better and better. I look forward to you using that tenth night free.

Thanks again for your review