“Overpriced and lacking basic essentials”

Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC
Ranked #138 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We were charged $141 in total for the room, which was a complete rort (it was late on Fri night and we had a lack of options at this point). The hotel felt seedy, and we immediately removed all items from our car so they wouln't be stolen. A group of young kids were staying at the motel and they were noisy until at least 2am and appeared drunk. Other young people were hooning in and out of the car park all night. In addition we had NO TOWELS provided, the toilet lid was broken and the toilet seat completely missing!!!! I tried to report it to the front desk when checking out, but they were busy serving a customer who seemed to be drugged up. Altogether not a nice experience, particularly given the inflated price.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lyndel K
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Dear Guest,
I would like thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor. Your feedback enables us to further enhance our service and product to our guests.
I apologize for the inconvenience during your past stay with us. It is very important to make sure our guests feel safe during their visit. There is someone who is always staffed at the hotel 24 hours 7 days a week. We also have security cameras that are monitored throughout the day and night. In addition, there are city ambassadors and USC patrol that watch the USC area to insure safety on campus and the surrounding areas. Housekeeping is in charge of thoroughly cleaning each room and also attends to anything in the room that needs maintenance. I would be more than happy to speak with you about your past stay so feel free to contact me.

Joana-GM

Reviewed March 18, 2012

My husband and I were very satisfied with Vagabond Inn with its cleanliness and excellent location to downtown LA & USC. The room we had was on the second floor, which was a little further from the street. This was good because we could hear the sirens very often, though not loudly. If it were a room near the street, I could imagine it could get quite noisy. We especially want to thank Jasmine and Nazneen who were extremely helpful with tips and directions to various sights and attractions in LA. Bravo! Jasmine and Nazneen! However, the same thing cannot be said about Samantha, who said she was not from LA and was new on the job. Whenever we approached her for help, she never made an effort to help us, not even by searching the Internet or asking somebody else who might have the information. To be fair we didn't expect her to know everything, neither did Jasmine nor Nazneen, but Samantha just wasn't helpful at all. It was very frustrating for us because we were very new to LA, having flown almost 19 hours from Singapore. Anyway, our experience and impression were not marred by her. We just want to thank Vagabond Inn and the people we met for a wonderful experience in LA. Reviewed by S.F. Chin - Singapore
18 March 2012

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank WauSingapore
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your recent stay and business at our Vagabond Inn Los Angeles USC location.

We are glad to hear our staff assisted you in a timely manner with your needs and questions.

We hope next time you travel to Los Angeles you think of Vagabond Inns Hotels.

Thank you for taking the time to review our Vagabond Inn Los Angeles USC property.

Joana Reyes -GM

Reviewed March 17, 2012

In my second day in the frontdesk, I overheard a clerk told the other traveler that vagabondinn can arrange shuttle bus for customers travelling from the inn to LAX airport at the cost of US16 (for the bus trip). I felt assured to get that information. When I was assisted to place a call to arrange the shuttle bus one day upon my checkout, I was quoted with a fee of US18 + tips (about 2.00), so I asked the clerk on duty that day (Nazneen) for clarification. The 18+2 price was new to Nazneen too, so she took over and talk to the bus call center. I was very imprssed that Nazneen negotiated for my interest (or of all residents at vagabondinn) with very solid and presuasive reasons, although my original intention was to clarify rather than negotiate. As a non-native travellers in USA, I really appreciate that vagabondinn has clerks who are willing to volunteer important information and negotiate for their cumstomers' interest and can handle things nicely.

The only thing I'm not used to is this: to get your breakfast you need to travel from your room to another building where the front desk is located. (but I guess that's the arrangement it has to be).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2012

If you have to stay USC, this is it. It is just across the street sandwiched between two private student housing complexes. This used to be in a sketchy neighborhood, and "under construction buildings" but that has been changed as of Fall 2011. If you have a child living in University Gateway, it is great for visiting on many levels. We have stayed at many nice hotels downtown but you can beat this location. There is nothing fancy but it works, price is great and the rooms are functional and clean. Free internet, free parking and 10th night is free. Great deal

Room Tip: Lots of eating places within walking distance. A block away from Galen and the USC campus. We like...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Diane H
CVAdmin, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Thank you very much for the review, We really are tuck in to a special spot in downtown LA. We really expect this area to just get better and better. I look forward to you using that tenth night free.

Thanks again for your review

Reviewed January 24, 2012

The name says it all. This is a tough one. It's clean but it's old. You don't want to drop any belongings on the floor here. Employees are very friendly and location to USC is great. You can handle this for 1 night. When Radisson is sold out this is the only place within walking distance to USC. I would consider sleeping on my kids dorm room floor next time. Really.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments, we do try hard to accommodate everyone at a good price. I was happy to hear the staff was friendly and the room was clean. I hope you will give a second chance. I promise we will do better the a dorm room floor.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

Based on the online photos, I was skeptical of what to expect of a drive-up motel right off a main drag in L.A. But I was pleasantly surprised by the friendly service, the size of the room(much larger than what you'd find at your typical midtown hotel), the close proximity to USC, and the array of food establishments nearby. Compared to the Radisson, this was a much better value, both in terms of the free parking and the room rate that was about $75 less per night. And, as it turned out, the Vagabond is only about two blocks farther from the campus than the Radisson. The only shortcomings I noticed are that the rooms are showing their wear (worn carpet, toilet leaking slightly at the base, need for a new coat of paint on the walls) and that the free breakfast wasn't particularly appealing (glazed donuts and pastries mostly). But with a Grinder restaurant nearby, it wasn't a big deal. Unless you're looking for all the creature comforts of a fancy hotel, the Vagabond was fine for my purposes; I'll definitely stay there again when I come to visit my son at USC.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TDG57
Reviewed November 9, 2011

This Vagabond Inn has one overwhelming asset--it is next to USC and one of only two hotels in the area. This made it our choice for Parents Weekend.What we did not know--and the manager claimed ignorance as well--was that a "rave" was planned at a venue a block away, on two nights of our stay. Outdoors. Incredibly loud, shaking the building. Until 2 a.m. The solution offered by the management was that we could move to another hotel and they would refund those two nights' stay. Oh, right--pack up all our stuff and find another hotel at the last minute, on a busy weekend in LA and miles away from the university and the festivities we were there to attend. We stayed, put on earphones and gritted our teeth. Oh, gosh, almost forgot, they dropped off several sets of earplugs while we were out. On top of that they charged a premium for it being Parents Weekend and supplied as few towels as possible. And there were bugs in the bathrooom. If you can get a really low price or must be near USC, go for it; I will be searching for alternatives next time.

• Stayed: October 2011