“Lovely Hotel, But Dubious Corporate Management”

Millennium Biltmore Los Angeles
Ranked #92 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I often stay at the Biltmore when in Los Angeles. It is one of the few, truly grand hotels remaining in the country and for that reason alone is worth a visit. Unfortunately recent decisions at the Millennium corporate level (so I am lead to believe by the front desk) are undermining this hotel's ability to be great, all in the name of cost-cutting and maximizing profit. Perhaps they have hired a fresh-faced MBA who knows how to manipulate numbers on a spreadsheet but nothing about running quality hotels, customer satisfaction or the intangible value of loyal, repeat patrons who will happily send more business to establishments who believe in doing what is right rather than what is cheap. These types of cuts serve to undermine the whole value proposition of why you are in business and soon you won't be in business any more.

Specific problems:

- Room service is now limited to breakfast only. This is disappointing and inconvenient to travelers who arrive late and don't want the trouble of dressing to go out again for dinner
- The room condition has deteriorated markedly over my last few visits, most recently, the right half of my bed had more or less collapsed
- Sheets and furniture surfaces were dusty
- Staff, while polite, does not seem particularly engaged

The Biltmore is a treasure. I hope decision-makers at the corporate level take note and see that investment, not cost cutting is what is needed to increase profits.

Room Tip: Book a club-level room. Others can be a bit dingy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Kendra W, Public Relations Manager at Millennium Biltmore Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Thank you for your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience. Your business is extremely important to us and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience and take most seriously your concerns about your guestroom accommodations. We want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project and reinforcement of customer service training throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised. Additionally, your comments will be addressed with the relevant managers so that necessary corrective measures can be taken.

In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for our performance and for having caused you disappointment and inconvenience. We hope that on your next visit to downtown Los Angeles, we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed here twice in June at the beginning & end of a group tour, the first time for two nights, the second time for one night. The place is huge, spacious, elegant with lots of grand spaces. Built 1923 (I think) it was once the swankiest hotel in LA. Today it still retains a lot of glamour in all the public spaces - big hallways with elegant ceilings, lots of art deco, a lovely pool in the basement, a comfortable bar. The rooms we were in were just standard rooms, but were good & roomy, comfortable & well-equipped.The ensuites were not huge but perfectly OK. There are various dining & drinking outlets within the hotel. The location in Downtown is good (Grand Ave, opp Pershing Square). After the first visit we were very happy to return here at the end of our trip. We liked it a lot.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andy F
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We may have been unlucky but when we got there the spa was being renovated there was no room service because it had been stopped the month before and we had asked for a double room but got a twin with a view of a brick wall and the noise of air conditioning units. We can supply pictures if required.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience. Your business is extremely important to us and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience and take most seriously your concerns about the available services. Three of our dining outlets now provide takeout service so that there are convenient choices for lunch and dinner. Your comments will be addressed with the relevant managers so that necessary measures can be taken.

In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for having caused you inconvenience. We hope that on your next visit to downtown Los Angeles, we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

We landed after more than 30 hours of travel from South Africa and arrived at the Millienium Biltmore, LA. While the hotel is historical and architecturally amazing, the walls are paper thin. You can hear people walking in the corridors, the guests in the rooms on either side of you and their TV very clearly so as to follow their conversation.

The room was neat and spacious and nicely decorated. The concierge was very knoweldgable and gave us a few helpful hints of where to go and where to eat.

Disappointed to have two beds though instead of the king size bed we requested as we were on our anniversary.

The food in the restuarant was fantastic. Our first meal in the USA was delicious.

Room Tip: The room is neat and tidy and spacious. The shower and bathroom were very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Traveled to LA on business and found this Historic property to be comfortable and the employees friendly. The property is 90 years old, and the place is well kept. The rooms were comfortable and clean, the bathrooms small and plugs were hard to find, but overall the room was just fine. There were some pretty steep valet fees to park your car $45.00 per day, be prepared.I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This type of hotel only works when the Lobby areas are maintained as Retro, but Guests' accommodation is modernised. The Hotel has many Entrance doors, but most of them are locked- really confusing for a stranger finding their way around! My room felt like part of a dark Museum, the TV unit annoyed me with it's sticking-out doors. Speaking of doors, my knees virtually touched the bathroom door, when I used the toilet!, and the decrepit basin had a substantial crack in it. The Hotel was jampacked with a Function on the weekend, and the Elevators were absolutely hopeless. Although full, it still stopped at EVERY floor, on the way down. I got out on the 6th Floor, used the stairs, and still got there before the Lift. I can praise the bed, the 10th Floor Nibbles in the Club Lounge, the gym, and the Restaurant. It's just a bit too dingy for me.

Room Tip: 1084 faced a brick wall, but was quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed June 29, 2014

The surprise of $40 for valet was no the kind of surprise I wanted upon arrival, however I felt there was nothing I could do so I paid.
Upon first walking into the hotel I found it stunning! I could only imagine our rooms would reflect what we were seeing in the lobby. The rooms were average, nothing special. That really didn't bother me too much. I was there for the Labyrinth of Jareth ball and really only required the room to get ready and to sleep.
At checkout is when I had my problems. We called downstairs for a bellhop and were told he would be there immediately. We then waited for 2 HOURS for a bellhop to arrive at our room. We had to call the front 3 times asking if one was coming and they just told us that one was on the way.
When the bellhop finally came to our room and collected our bags, he told us they would be in the lobby in 15 minutes or so. I continued downstairs to checkout and send for our car. I waited for 30 minutes before I asked the bellhops where my bags were. They told me they were almost at the lobby and to just be patient. By this time, the valet was breathing down my neck to hurry up and take my car. An hour passed and my bags had still not made it to the lobby. I asked again and the bellhops became very impatient with me and told me they would get them down in due time and to be patient. Our bags finally arrived 1 hour and 45 minutes after the bellhop took them from our room! I contacted the hotel staff afterwards and was told that they were sorry, but they were busy and there was nothing to be done about it. I felt, very much, that I was snubbed for being young and not paying full price since I was there with the LOJ ball. There were plenty of people who came downstairs after me, got their bags promptly and departed without problems. I was extremely disappointed and wish that Labyrinth would partner with another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ashley H

Thank you for your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience. Your business is extremely important to us and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience and take most seriously your concerns about bell service upon your departure. We want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project and reinforcement of customer service training throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised. Additionally, your comments will be addressed with the relevant managers so that necessary corrective measures can be taken.