“Beautiful public spaces - decent rooms - great staff”

Millennium Biltmore Los Angeles
Ranked #93 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stayed here for a week while I was taking a class for work downtown. I was a bit skeptical after reading the reviews, but was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is gorgeous and definitely "old school" - I wish all the ballrooms would have been available for tours, because I'm sure they would have been stunning, just based on the lobby areas! I had a room with two double beds and a roll-in shower (no tub) which was fine by me - it gave us a little extra room. There was plenty of space, with a work desk in between the two beds. Yes, the toilet looks like it came from a public school, and yes, the bathrooms are dated, but it's an older hotel! Everything was clean, the beds were comfy, and the room was quiet. We were on the 6th floor, not much of a view, but we weren't in the room that much, so it was no big deal. Great access to the metro system (Pershing Square Station is just across the street) and excellent downtown location. The staff were all extremely helpful and friendly, from the front desk folks to the doormen and the security guy that had to come unlock our room safe at 10:00 at night because my mother in law forgot the combination she set! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Jennifer W

Reviewed March 16, 2014

A real old style hotel , rooms large & airy . The inside is so 1920--1930s as it would have been when the rich & famous swanned around . Service was very good Food a little on the high side but enjoyable Would stay again if ever in the U.S.A Not so keen on downtown L.A

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David D
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This is a beautiful old hotel. The lobbies and common areas are massive and truly magnificent. The bed was comfortable and the room was nice, but the bathroom was really small ...I mean really small. The staff was kind and helpful. I had some problem with the air conditioner not working when I first got there, but the engineering staff was right on it, and very polite. There is a lot of history here. If you want that, this is the place for you. I would go back.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike V
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We spent three nights at the Biltmore ,the rooms were big the beds were comfy and the hotel had a lovely feeling about it, they were filming during our stay there and apparently they film there quite often due to the ambience of the place, we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: There is a diner 2 blocks away called the Yorkshire diner good old fashioned american diner.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bilti
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Biltmore. The lobby and common areas are exquisite in their beauty and attention to detail. No matter where I turned, a nicely dressed employee in a suit was standing by waiting to assist. The history of the hotel and the famous people that have visited it made it all the more enjoyable. The main floor has all kinds of nooks and crannies with seating available for a private chat or quick meeting. This is by far the nicest hotel in which I have ever had the opportunity to stay.

My room was spacious and the decor was beautiful as well. The chair and mirror had gold gilding and the bed had a partial canopy that matched the drapes. The bathroom had a pedestal sink and a deep tub. Yes, it was cozy, but the hotel was built in 1929, when spacious bathrooms were not common. No dark carpet here to hide dirt, they boast about the cleanliness by using a light colored carpet. No stains! My room was on the 10th floor, room 1000 and right next to the elevators. Other than a quiet, distant ding, I heard no elevator sounds.

My room happened to be on the Club level so I had access to the club suite. They offered a variety of meats and cheeses, veggies and fruit for dinner along with a warm appetizer. For breakfast they had egg and cheese burritos, biscuits and gravy, along with the usual muffins, bagels, etc. The club room was spacious with good views. It also had a computer and printer available that was in addition to the business center on the main floor of the hotel.

I had a choice between staying at the Standard, the Sheraton and the Biltmore for my LA business trip. The corporate prices were the same for each, but I definitely chose the best one!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Geralyn K
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed at the Millennium Biltmore hotel this last weekend for the LA Marathon - my fiance was running - this was one of the preferred hotels for the event. It is conveniently located in a great, clean, safe area of DTLA.

Parking is absolutely absurd - $35/night for valet. And, it was a huge pain getting our car out of valet. They seemed completely unprepared for all of the Marathon participants checking out at the same time (but, no one wants to pay an extra $50 to stay a few more hours - see my comments below on this extra charge).

The room seemed a little outdated with a really odd built-in. The shower had one of those odd designs where the shower curtain seems to attack you continuously throughout your shower as the bottom was not weighted/magnetized to the tub. Oh, and hello!! We are in a drought!!! The shower head wasted a HUGE amount of water! They need to install water savers in the showers!!! There was no way to adjust the amount of water coming out - it was either on or off.

The hotel has it's charming quirks - winding staircases you can wander through and get lost in, beautiful ceiling plaster castings from another time - you really do travel back in time when you walk into the lobby.

The service was rather disappointing. I called down the morning of the marathon to find out what time checkout was for those running the marathon - I was informed that noon was checkout, 1:00pm at the latest - anything after that would incur a $50 charge up to 3:00pm. This was very maddening. My fiance finished the race in the time he expected, but had to catch the shuttle back to to Downtown from Santa Monica. Luckily we I was at the hotel to check out for us. If he were there alone, or with another runner that was coming back with him, he would have had to pay a late charge.

I think this is ridiculous considering the amount of Marathon participants staying at the hotel - the LA Marathon brought them a huge amount of guests! Nothing like rushing a bunch of elite athletes after they run 26 miles!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank aautera
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stay for one night. Beautiful classic hotel, clean small room, but in need of a remodel.

Told a group of friends to meet me in the hotel bar. Walked into the Gallery bar a little after 3:30 and told it would not open until 4. Asked to sit a the bar and check emails and was told I would have to leave and sit in the lobby by Greg the bartender. My party choose to go to Engine Company 28 instead. Another associate had a bad experience in the same bar the next night.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business