“Nice hotel but not the best.”

Millennium Biltmore Los Angeles
Ranked #93 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Visited Los Angeles from England with 2 friends for a week then travelled to Vegas. I had read the reviews on here but thought I would still give the hotel a try. Although my experience was not fantastic it was not awful. When checking in the gentleman on front desk said we had only booked 5 days not a week. I showed him the paperwork I had proving we had paid for a week, after 10/15 minutes of him checking availability of our room he managed to extend our stay on the system. The hotel is very grand and clean, our room on the other hand was out dated, carpets were worn, paintwork from the walls were missing and it the Windows were ancient with rattling shutters. I understand the hotel is historic but the rooms looked to worn out. Beds were very comfortable and bathroom was clean. Our friends stayed at the omni across the road from us and I must say their hotel was much nicer with free WiFi. As there are a lot of business travllers staying in the Biltmore I would have thought they would atleast offer free WiFi rather than pay $10 a day

Room Tip: Our room was facing the park, loud traffic all night long so best not to face the street if possible...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Charlotte H
There are newer reviews for Millennium Biltmore Los Angeles

Reviewed December 30, 2013

This place is terrible. The lobby is grand but it ends there. The rooms are worn and the furnishings are dated. My room (#811) shared an entrance with a neighboring room and had a mysterious locked door in the room. When I asked the bellman to assure that no one from the neighboring room could access my room, he told me he didn't think so but I could just call the front desk if someone came through the door! Worst of all, the walls were so thin that I could hear the person in the next room blowing his nose. The "non-smoking" room smelled like smoke and the plantation shutters were broken and dirty. Only one of the two windows had curtains and they were dirty and did not close fully. The windows themselves were thin and I could hear buses and the noise from the skating rink well past 11:00. The carpet was frayed and the shower flooded the bathroom floor each time I showered. Regrettably I stayed for 4 nights and when I returned to LA for business the following week, I switched to the Omni, which was perfect.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel. You'd be better off on the street.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank cbeeme1978
Kendra W, Public Relations Manager at Millennium Biltmore Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you for your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. Your business is extremely important to us and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience.
and take most seriously your concerns about your guestroom accommodations. We want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project and reinforcement of customer service training throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised. Additionally, your comments will be addressed with the relevant managers so that necessary corrective measures can be taken. In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for our performance and for having caused you disappointment and inconvenience. We hope that on your next visit to downtown Los Angeles, we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is fab and the decor in the lobby is amazing however when you leave the hotel its like a poor run down area with people stealing from the subway across the street although this is not the hotels fault.

Rooms are fine nothing special although we were upgraded for free which was a bonus. Staff are fantastic they go the extra mile to help and the maids left chocolates and papers each day which is nice.

Location let's this place down other than that would stay again. :)

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The hotel was actually very nice. friendly staff, food was excellent, small but nice rooms. Could use some updating as it is an old hotel but not enough to give a bad rating. Very nice!!
The bad rating is because this hotel is located in downtown LA and I could not sleep due to what sounded like a Jet engine reving up all night. It was the airconditioning system for the restaurant below (I was on the 9th fl). I know this because I called to complain and the young lady knew what I was going to say before I said it. She offered to change our room or bring up some ear plugs. It was 2am so she said that the manager would give me a call in the morning (never received a call). I wanted to address that I never received a call upon check out but there was no one at the front desk at 6am. I just left my card keys. As much as I liked the hotel I would not recommend nor would I stay again for the simple fact that they know its an issue and they have not fixed it nor did they make the effort to assist me when I was a client.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 929 or any room in that horseshoe
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

and take most seriously your concerns about the air conditioning noise outside of your guestroom. We want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project and reinforcement of customer service training throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised. Additionally, your comments will be addressed with the relevant managers so that necessary corrective measures can be taken. In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for our performance and for having caused you disappointment and inconvenience. We hope that on your next visit to downtown Los Angeles, we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I was so excited to stay here and I am severely disappointed by just about everything. The entrance, lobby and building may seem grand, however the staff and actual rooms are anything but. First of all, we were carrying 7 luggages and none of the bell desk staff offered to help even though they were all just standing around doing nothing. The girl at reception gave me attitude from the second we walked in. The room doesn't offer complimentary refreshments or Wi-fi (come on, this is 2013) and the bathroom (shower and bath specifically) has not been cleaned. The shower also drips, leaving black marks on the floor from god knows what, I don't even want to know. The walls are not soundproof, windows are dangerously low and large (definitely not child friendly), old furniture, no fridge, frayed carpet, the list GOES ON! We arrived about an hour ago and I'm already on TripAdvisor looking for an alternative place to stay.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Diyanti C

We appreciate your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. Your business is extremely important to us and we were highly concerned when we read your feedback. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience and take most seriously your concerns about your guestroom accommodations and the service level upon your arrival. We want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project and reinforcement of customer service training throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised. Additionally, your comments will be addressed with the relevant managers so that necessary corrective measures can be taken. In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for our performance and for having caused you disappointment and inconvenience. We truly hope that on your next visit to downtown Los Angeles, we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

A must. We live on the Westside of LA and decided to celebrate my wife's birthday with a night on the town. There is no other place in LA I would rather have stay. The architecture and design elements that make up the Biltmore are world class and absolute eye candy.

Of course, with age comes the need for constant upgrade and renovation. Our executive suite was large however the interior design was quite average. The carpets needed mending in a few places and there were a few small places where the paint was peeling.

Regardless, the overall price was satisfactory and the experience was one we will look to replicate in the years to come.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, book away from the corner of 5th and S. Olive as the traffic below can be rather...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I'm way too forgiving when it comes to historical hotels so if you want the perfect room in a perfect hotel, don't take my advice. The more historic the hotel, the more forgiving I am and this hotel is one of the most historic I've ever stayed in. If you are a Hollywood-phile, there is so much cinematic history that has taken place at this hotel, it takes a while to read up on it. The number of movies and TV shows that have been shot there seem endless. I think their list of movies and TV shows shot just in the last 25 years was two pages long.

You are immediately harkened back to the days of yore once you enter the lobby and surrounding areas. "Grandiose" is an understatement. Yes, there are signs of wear of the ages everywhere but I was so overwhelmed with the surroundings, I barely noticed.

Unfortunately, it drops off quickly once you get to the room. In my case, the many-times painted door lead to a smallish room. Bed was comfortable enough but looking out the window, the paint on the outside sills on my room and surrounding rooms was peeling severely. The bathroom was very small with an industrial-type flush toilet that you'd expect to find in a public restroom. The sink extended into the shower over the edge of the bathtub. I had to be careful to snake the shower curtain over and around the sink and edge of the tub so I didn't flood the room when taking a shower. However, the shower head/water pressure was old-style e.g. not the pathetic "green" showers you find so often that barely spit water out.

I was at the hotel for a series of meetings that were conducted at the hotel. The food was exceptional including the desserts. I think they got some of the desserts from Bodega Louie down the street. Exquisite stuff.

All of the staff members I experienced were cordial, polite, sharp, and helpful. A housekeeper cleaning a room down from mine peeked out when I passed one morning and gave me a a hearty hello. Check-in and out was quick and efficient.

In conclusion, if you're like me and have a soft spot for grand old dame hotels rich in history and are forgiving about the rough edges, I definitely recommend this hotel. I would stay here again. If you're into the trendy, smart, perfect hotels, this one isn't for you.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business