“The Old Girl Deserves Better”

Millennium Biltmore Los Angeles
Ranked #92 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Once upon a time this must have been a grand place to stay. The lobbies, meeting rooms and other public spaces are beautiful and seem quite lovingly maintained. On the other hand, the actual guest rooms don't measure up. The rooms were spacious enough, and cracks in the plaster-work lend an aging charm, but they don't make up for a mediocre bed and odd bits of furniture. Also - the bathrooms are similar in size to what you'll find in the average London hotel room . . . For the most part service was better than average - but I'd skip eating at the hotel and go around the corner, past the Starbucks to the Crepes XPress. It's been 2 years since I was in downtown Los Angeles, the Pershing Square area seems a bit less run down, and there's a great used bookstore a couple of blocks away. A fridge and complimentary wi-fi would have helped me feel better about the trip. (Also, the staff seemed a little embarrassed by questions about the 10th floor being haunted, if it were me, I'd play it up.)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank IansDad1963

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Old beautiful hotel with ornate wood and cooper type ceilings. The guest rooms are very outdated with no modern conveniences like iphone/ipad charges clock, clear cable television, refrigerator, bottled water and many of the electrical outlets didn't work. Thankfully, I paid a discounted price for the room or I would be really upset. The biggest problem was that only 1 of 6 elevators were operating and every floor had up to 20 people waiting. I will not go back unless they remodel and upgrade.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank a g
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

If your on a business trip, this hotel I'd probably in a great location for you. If your traveling for fun, try another area of LA. While the lobby, and restaurants are opulent the rooms are lack luster, the bathrooms could use a major update. We took the stairs down to the lobby... Big mistake, we ended up having to walk through a creepy basement floor with exposed electrical wires to get to the actual lobby. Overall, I would pass on staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank AmandaG55
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as I had already stayed here a few years ago and had a good experience. The rooms are definitely outdated, but you have to kind of expect that from an old hotel with a lot of history like this one has. There was nothing wrong with the rooms though. The bathroom fixtures were fine, the beds were fine, the service was fine, the bar was fine... Everything was fine. The only issue is the location of course, which I knew going in was a bit sketchy, but then again, it's downtown LA. Don't go out looking for late night food, it's not safe and you won't find anything!
Would stay here again if I was looking to stay in downtown LA again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Chrisy C
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel once a year, for the last three years, for an annual business meeting. The public areas, such as the lobby, are grand and full of character. The rooms, however, not so much. My room, this last time, was spacious. But like the others I've stayed in previously, it was not very well-lit and the room furnishings were tired and in need of an upgrade. Since this was the conference hotel, I'm sure my room was pretty generic. There must be others that match the beauty of the public areas. But alas, that wasn't the kind of room I was assigned. I hope they will move the conference next year. I'll miss that impressive lobby, but nothing else. Hats off to hard-working staff who keep the big place running, though. I'm sure it's quite a job.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JRLAW
Reviewed February 2, 2013

There are many hotels in Los Angeles that are more modern and reflect the lastest in technological features, but this well-maintained marvel of a century gone by remains my favorite. I like the classic features of the public facilities and guest rooms (some very spacious reflecting the standards of the era). It is not unusual to see easy recognizable celebrities and movers and shakers in Los Angeles in the hotel for a meal or meeting. I have always found the staff to be very helpful. Some very good places to eat are within easy walking distance. It is about 5 minutes away from major LA freeways (highways) to access other areas of the region or state.

Room Tip: Considering it is in downtown LA, ask for a quiet room off the main streets, if ensuring no sounds c...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SanDiegoGuy1
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I had to stay there for my Global Sales Meeting from Sunday to Thursday. First I must say the Lobby is Beautiful, but the rooms are dumps. I saw several rooms b/c I was hanging out with co-workers and they were all the same Gross, Old, VERY DUSTY, and the worst LOUD. The pillows were awful as well.
I stay at Hilton Properties for my business travel and let me tell you that the Hampton Inns rooms put this hotels to shame.
I had to go through several shower heads to get hot water, and a new shower curtain b/c mine had red stuff all over it.
The Food was OK since i had to eat it three times a day, I have had way better.
I went running every morning with a big group since I was on East Coast Time and its very dangerous from what I saw, so if your a women do not run alone.
The only good thing was that the bartender at the Gallery Bar gave a VERY generous glass of wine!!
I had the biggest room from what I heard from my other co-workers, so ask for 2 double beds and room 933, but I must warn its a loud room cause you hear everything outside.

Room Tip: Ask for 2 double bed rooms, mine was 933 and it was double the size of my friends. If you have alle...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business