“historically relevant grand ol' dame of a hotel, yet decidely shabby and tired”

Millennium Biltmore Los Angeles
Ranked #89 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a tough review to write. This hotel is a grand ol' dame and its common areas are stunning. The historical relevance captures you and you feel part of it. You just don't get to experience a place like this very often, especially on a business trip.

With that noted, my room on the 10th floor, 1026, was roomy enough, well appointed, and quiet. But the floor was dirty and hadn't been vacuumed. I stayed for three nights and the floor remained that way. There was sink splatter on the lower section of the bathroom mirror which also remained there the duration of my stay. I didn't see one housekeeping staff person, not one, in three days. The towels were replaced and the bed remade so I know someone actually visited my room but it was really odd to not see any housekeeping staff around.

I had fun when my business meetings were done and explored the hotel. The former lobby area is really beautiful and decked out for the holidays. I was too late for the afternoon tea service (2-5pm) but that sounds great! I met a hotel employee in the former lobby who had been working at the Biltmore for 16 years. He described a flood that occurred there just a couple years ago and in the process of cleaning the moisture damage, they discovered light fixtures they thought were tan were actually nicotine stained. When the staining was removed, a beautiful aquamarine color emerged! He was obviously proud and happy to work there and took the time to discuss the hotel's history and his experience there. Wish I could remember his name as I'd be happy to put it here in the review.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay very much but my accommodations could have used a good sprucing up!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,153)

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Located in downtown LA not the best area but near to metro to visit all the nearby attractions.
The hotel is beautiful - the architecture and history are wonderful. The opulence of the reception area is breathtaking. We visited late November so the Christmas decorations were unbelievable. Staff were extremely helpful and knowledgable. Take time to speak to the staff about the "history" of the hotel and the Oscars.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is absolutely the worst hotel we have experienced. When we walked in the hotel the lobby looks really elegant and the apple cider was warm enough to settle my heart down. However the first room we got that night was in the corner of road end. If you want to get in you have to get thru two doors which is quite annoying. The smell of the room makes us feel there was some accident in the room so they used tons of detergent to clean the room. The air conditioner was very loud too. We required to change a room and the front desk said they would send some bell boy to deliver us the key but after 20 minutes waiting time we went down to get the key to the new room. After we came back to the new room after dinner we found that even we turned off the air conditioner it was still very noisy. I called the front desk to change a room again and the said they would bring up the key again. After another 20 minutes waiting around 11pm no one showed up. I called them and the girl at front desk asked me to go down without even saying sorry. I went down and asked her why it was so noisy she said it's just because of the street and it seems she is quite familiar with the noise complaint. Finally we got settled down in a room with ok standard for a four star hotel. The swimming poor is also far from rooms. I cancelled my other two night stays after changing two rooms in 3 hours stay. Employees at this hotel don't really care about their guest.

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank Hotelierneverlies
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here for three nights for a work conference. The conference was at the JW Marriott at the LA Live Staples Center location. About a mile away which was a nice walk at the beginning and end of the day. Location is good. Downtown LA is, well, downtown LA but the hotel sits at the foot of Bunker Hill which is a nice area. Walked to the Mark Taper Forum to see a play and was a pretty easy walk. Room was pretty small but comfortable. My main gripe would be the bathroom, toilet wouldn't flush easily, very little counter space and nowhere to hang towels. Other than that, a fine place to stay, And just a little oddity: There was no bedspread on the bed. Didn't need one and actually hate those gross poly blend things you get at really cheap hotels but I just thought it was a little odd.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lulu_Hutch
Reviewed December 2, 2012

If anyone ever wants to stay at a wonderful hotel in LA with the above characteristics, I highly recommend the Millenium Biltmore. It has all these plus more amenities. I even saw a wedding performed there. It is a very high class hotel with its grand, golden lobby and the hallways and rooms off the hallways were equally spectacular. The Pershing Square metro line is two blocks away and it is in the heart of the Bunker Hill District. Up the block, you'll find very tall bank, CPA firms, and the Disney Building. I would definitely return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: I usually choose higher floors for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank DayTripper084
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Whoever hired Martha the Concierge should pat themselves on the back for understanding the qualities to look for when hiring a 'true' concierge. Martha just blew me away yesterday with her obvious passion for making Biltmore guests happy. Maybe it's the Biltmore's standards for customer service or her own. Regardless, I can't say enough.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MattKLeh
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The lobby and the public places are historical and impressive. The fact that the hotel hosted the Oscars in 1937 is great......shame that no-one has dusted since! We arrived after a long journey and were almost in tears with the room that we were given. Dark, dismal and dirty. We went straight back to reception and to give them their dues, they gave us a better room... WELL only just! It was filthy, jaded and we decided straight away that we would only stay the one night and not the three (already pre-paid, I might add). It really doesn't do a hotel credit when the first thing you do is desperately re-book a room from the hotel wi-fi. Such a shame that no-one is taking charge of this potential! Oh and whatever you do, don't eat in the restaurant!! It was empty, so obviously the message is getting there, but please pass it on!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple