“Old, historical downtown LA hotel”

Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles
Ranked #93 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Old, historical downtown LA hotel”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The MB has a great history. Built in 1923, many movies shot there--Ghostbusters, and is a HUGE hotel--600+ rooms. We were just there/August 2012. What happens in August? Weddings! The place was simply too busy. The rooms are TIRED. The staff does work really hard, but try the hotel at a quiet time. Who know when that is?
BUT, the 10th floor is the Club floor, and the hotel prices are really good. Get the 10th floor, and if you are unsatisfied with your room--move. Also ask for the price to be dropped if any problems. They are accomodating and kind workers. The main lobby floor is gorgeous. The Club Room is great w/ breakfast 6:30-10, and then wine and appetizers at 5 PM. There is an old original pool in the basement doldrums.

Room Tip: 10th floor is Club Level. That is what you want. August is too busy with weddings. Ask to be close...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Well, my review is a bit confusing because the room I ended up in was probably worth 4 stars, but the room I was assigned originally was worth 2 stars.

I had booked a standard room for 6 nights in August 2012 and I wanted a non-smoking room. I was given a room on the 4th or 6th floor (sorry, don't remember which) and as soon as I stepped outside of the elevator I got worried. The corridor stank and it looked like it hadn't been renovated for 100 years. I got inside my room and it smelled of smoke too, so I decided to go down to the reception. Once there, I explained that I wanted a non smoking room and without any trouble at all I got upgraded to one of their club rooms on the 10th floor at no extra charge.

That room was great and fresh, but it would normally cost an additional $50 per night. All in all, I'd say that the first room I was given wasn't worth the money that I paid for the hotel, but the club room and the service were great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The inside of the hotel was amazing and we can see why this hotel is still used as a set for films. It is downtown LA so good for business but not brilliant as a holiday location. However, it was close to the metro and local buses which are both cheap to take and efficient.

The staff were very friendly, especially in the bar where we sat and watched the Olympics after a day out.

The room was a bit in need of a refurb and was noisy as it didn't have double glazing and we were facing the main road. However it was clean and the carpet had been refurbed in our corridor so they are working their way through the hotel which can't be easy given the need to keep the appearance.

There were some great pictures of award ceremonies from the past and it was obviously very popular for weddings.

I would stay again.

Room Tip: The highest floor possible because of road noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed at the Biltmore for 3 nights in July 2012 - excellent old style hotel with all the features from the grand old days when the movies oscars were held there. A special thank you to the concierge who was very helpful. Hadn't booked any trips before arriving and the help we had was great. Hotel very clean - perhaps a little dated and in need of a little tlc but otherwise bar and restaurant cheerful and friendly. Location in downtown was excellent especially at weekend as it wasn't too crowded. Transport easy to deal with and a metro station nearby.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hazel p
Lake Forest, CA
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed at the Millennium Biltmore in downtown Los Angeles a couple of months ago. We were doing some diamond shopping and wanted to be next to that district.
I wanted to stay at the hotel because of the history and that we were going to take a tour of downtown with the LA Conservancy (excellent tour by the way!)
The reason why I am back here writing again is that I saw a LA news show the other night and the travel commentator was recommending the web site “Oyster” where they compare the staged pictures posted by the hotel versus the actual photos taken by travelers. Well I went to “Oyster” and looked up this hotel and it popped up as a beautiful 4 out of 4 stars and fantastic pictures. (I was shocked)
So here is the truth on this one.
The hotel does have an extensive history of politicians, actress and other famous people visiting the place.
We stayed on the 9th and it was only 250 a night. Attached are the photos. The room was simply repainted and it was worse than a rundown 50 dollar a night motel along some old freeway.
My wife wanted a bath, but would not use the tub because it was only partially reglazed 3 inches from the bottom and completely yellow and nasty the rest of the way up. The pictures show the one quarter inch of dust around the room. The pictures also show all the burn marks from the hall lighting where the ballasts have singed the walls.
We stayed in a hotel in New York next to the Empire State Building on the 23rd floor that was lower in cost and 3 times larger! This room was like a closet overlooking the office across the street. The in room a/c unit just limped along.
I would not let her go down to the pool area alone because it was too dark and gave me a real creepy feeling.
Also always look down when you are walking in the halls as to not trip on the duct tape holding the carpet together.
The photos on “Oyster” and the hotel web site are completely inaccurate with the exception of the staged room and the ground floor. I would definitely not stay there again, if you want the history, the LA Conservancy offers a tour of that hotel on Sundays.
If you live around LA, I would definitely take one of the walking tours (the history of that area is very interesting) don’t take the kids because they might be a little bored. (no x-box or rides!)

Room Tip: Find one that has actually been remodeled, not repainted
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fiaropinion

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 9, 2012

In June of 2012 I took a Cosmos Tour called "West Coast Explorer Tour". We started in San Diego and thirteen days later we ended up in Seattle. We stayed two nights in the La Biltmore and it was spectacular. They still have all the old ceilings and chandeliers of old. When you walk in the lobby ........you feel like you are in a Cathedral. I walked all around downtown LA and found it to be very clean and safe. The staff at the hotel was very helpful. My room was extra large and I give this hotel a 5 star rating. Of the 9 hotels on this trip ....Biltmore was the best.

Room Tip: All rooms are LARGE, clean and very well furnished. Walk north in the city for outstanding food and...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2012

When we first walked into this hotel our first reaction was "Wow!!!" It looked really Grand and it felt really secure.
Our room was really spacious and we had a desk and a comfy arm chair in our room. We had read reviews about there being bed bugs and we had heard that they were doing construction work on one of the higher floors but we weren't affected by any of these and we had nice stay!
There were a couple of convience stores close to us so we could buy food and water and there's a dominos pizza near the hotel that we were able to take into our room, we also noticed that other people had rung for pizza and got it delivered to the hotel!
It was really cool knowing that the Oscars had been held there before and we noticed that the hotel held tours of the hotel that took people round all the different parts of the hotel.
Would definitely reccomend this hotel, the staff were really helpful and made sure we made the most out of our trip!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends