“The Line Hotel, August 2014”
Review of The LINE

The LINE
Ranked #41 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We stayed here for two weeks. Bell staff, "Phil" and "Henry" were so friendly and helpful, as well as many other wonderful staff. The beds were amazingly comfortable, the views were great, and the modern and creative decor was fun. Internet and TV reception were variable in different rooms and in work out room but I heard that in a few weeks they would be updating their system to fix that. I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Wilshire blvd side has a great city view but will be a bit louder with frequent car horn noise, whil...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank ttimony
Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed August 22, 2014

I stayed at the Line for one night this week while in LA on business. I really wanted to like it – a boutique hotel with a strong design focus at a decent price point. Overall, I think the physical product is pretty good. The design is definitely not for everyone, but I think it works (all except for the horrible corridors, which are depressing beyond belief). I had a room on the 11th floor looking north, towards the Hollywood Hills. The room is small, but it is pretty functional with a strong design perspective. I have only minor complaints about the room:

- The windows are operable and don’t have good seals, so there was still a lot of noise even on the 11th floor facing north

- No place to hang a towel in the bathroom

- There are two nice chairs with a sculptural art piece between them, but there is no table, which would have made it very awkward for two people to eat breakfast from room service (more on that later)

- No soap dish in bathroom

- No body wash (only soap)

- Minibar has good selection, but $10 for a bottle of water is too much

What killed the experience for me – and the reason why I probably will not return – is the service. Check-in was friendly and efficient, but check-out was rude and abrasive. Further, I inquired at the front desk where breakfast was, to which I was told it is only served via room service (which would be funny given that there is not a table in the room at which to eat it). It was odd that I was not told this when I checked in, nor was there any notice in the room regarding this. I placed my order with the front desk, then sat in the lobby to wait for the room service delivery. What made the experience more bizarre is that there is a café in the corner of the lobby that serves coffee and basic breakfast items – why didn’t the front desk tell me about this?! The odd experience turned to anger when my “room service” was delivered to my lobby table, as the food was ridiculously greasy (could eat less than half of the food, on account of the excessive grease) and the coffee was bad. I didn’t interact with a single person during breakfast, checkout or waiting for my car who had any idea of service, which was pretty shocking.

Room Tip: Get room facing north, as high as possible
Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank nelsonjj
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Less than a year old, super sleek and modern, The Line is well-situated in K-town, a neighborhood not necessarily known for being a haven for tourists, but convenient and cool nonetheless. The ambience here is industrial chic... and one they really took seriously. I observed that the hallways on my floor, with their distressed cement walls and cottage-cheese ceilings, really did look like a construction zone, albeit with wild carpeting.

Our room had lots of fun decorative touches -- leaning lamps, vases that evoked laundry detergent bottles, and hipster chairs. And the Hollywood Hills view was amazing... definitely the centerpiece. I wasn't crazy about the bathroom, because the decor didn't fit (with white tile and gold fixtures, it's more evocative of the Venetian in Las Vegas), but mostly because it's door-less. While both the shower and the toilet have their own stalls, I'd prefer a bit more privacy.

My issues were minor compared to my positives. The pool area was great, the price was right and everyone was friendly. This place is a hit.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank George_PConnecticut
Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel. Rooms are very good and very well designed. A great stay - would stay again.

Pros: comfy bed, nicely designed rooms, hollywood views. Restaurant on level 2 is awesome - go for the steak!!!

Cons: air con sooooo noisy (almost couldn't have it on at night), wifi crap, parking expensive ($32 a night). All staff were lovely except the Receptionist on check in - didn't even smile let alone make eye content. We stood there for 2mins while she typed away before lifting her head.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2014

The girl suggest me upgrade my room to one in from of HollyWood sign for a few more money and it worths any cents. thanks girl, sorry forget your name. The room 707 was giant with a unique design. Every thing one needs was there, safebox, fridge, sofa, office, many soft pillows ...and ten points for the shower...
Only two things had bored me there, poor wifi signal and 807 neighbor making noisy the whole night. The willshire metro station is in front of the hotel. My last review I chose the wrong hotel, The Line is the right one.

Room Tip: Pick up one in from of Hollywood sign.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank GeraldoFernandes
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I booked 2 rooms for 3 nights at The Line. When I checked in the thermostat in my room was set at 38 and the temperature in the room was 75. I thought that perhaps my wife had adjusted the controls and did not give it a second thought. The temperature in the room never went below 74 during our first night. I called the front desk the next morning and was told an engineer would look into the problem. When I arrived back at the hotel later in the afternoon the situation was unchanged. Additionally. the maids had left cleaning supplies in my room and had not changed the plastic liner on the ice bucket. I was the lucky one because my daughter's room had not been cleaned at all. I spoke to someone at the front desk about these issues and was assured they would be addressed. We returned around 10:30 that evening and my room was 75 degrees, I still had no liner for the ice bucket, and while the other room had been made up there was a pile of soiled towels outside the door. When I went downstairs to share my frustration one of the assistant managers intervened and changed our room. While the A/C worked somewhat better in the second room it was not up to the standards I have come to expect in other hotels. The termperature would drift up to 73 or 74 in the afternoon and struggled to get to 70 at night. While the staff exuded a willingness to provide service the follow-thorugh was abysmal. Other issues to consider prior to booking a stay at this property is the perpetual anarchy that exists at the valet stand (one night it took me 10 minutes to get from the street to the hotel door) and the fact that the there is no option for a hot breakfast except for room service. I can not in good conscience recommend this property.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Jeffrey S
AlexaHall, Guest Relations Manager at The LINE, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2014

Dear Jeffrey S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay.
I understand your frustration and the AC is something we are addressing.

We now have our second restaurant, Commissary open which offers a hot breakfast.

Our Senior Guest Experience Manager, Josh Brown, would like the opportunity to have you back. If you have time please email him at jbrown@thelinehotel.com

Regards,
Alexa

Reviewed August 18, 2014

The design in lobby and in room is very original. More important, it appropriately uses the industrial and bare design to maximize space (or the sense of it) which meant spacious studio room and a comfy lobby. I enjoyed in-room dining which has a multicultural menu and the remote-controlled two-layer curtain which I thought was a cool but necessary feature.

On the downside: I was confused during check-in when I was offered an upgrade from King to Studio for ~$40. I said no to the offer only to be given a free upgrade seconds later! Certainly a strange encounter -- made me wonder if front desk was trying to extract every last dime from me even when it wasn't necessary from room management standpoint.

Would come back again for sure, especially at this unbelievably discounted price!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo