“Not A Bad Choice”

Ranked #135 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Texas
“Not A Bad Choice”
Reviewed May 28, 2009

We arrived around 2 p.m. and were promptly given a room. The room was a nice size. Although none of the furnishings are new, the bed was comfortable and everything was clean. Very minimal amenities, but that is what I expect with the price I paid. The young man at the front desk was very helpful when we had any requests. Not many places to eat nearby but we did eat at Philippe the Original's which is a must do and ate at a Mexican food place on Olevera St. in El Pueblo de Los Angeles. Yes, we did walk a few blocks, but that is not an issue for us. Well located for Union Station travel and we took the subway to Hollywood for a quick tour. Breakfast was adequate and fresh.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrae16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I arrived at the Metro-Plaza at noon and was afforded an early check-in. Housekeeping had not cleaned the room, but that was not a big deal as I was just dropping my bags before going out on the town. The room was clean when I returned in the evening. Basic toiletries were provided. Towels are cheap and thin. Free wifi was a plus and reception was good in my third floor room.

The location is very good if your travel plans include a train ride. While the area was not upscale, I didn't feel unsafe even though I was approached by a beggar just outside the hotel. Restaurant choices were limited. There is a Subway sandwich shop next door. A block away is Philippe's, where you must try one of their french dipped sandwiches. They are absolutely delicious.

For value. and convenience, the Metro Plaza is a good choice. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank NJphotoGuy
Menlo Park CA
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Reasonably priced hotel in LA. With $4.00 covered parking.
Very close to Union Station, a must see for its interior beauty. Traxx restaurant is worth a visit too.
Evening desk person is clueless. Day time seemed to be better.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2009

All I needed was a bed for a night after flying in and before catching a train from Union Station.

Great location for Station but little else. Dispite being 6'2" and large, wouldn't feel safe in area at night. No decent resturant at hotel or near by.

Room clean(ish)

• Liked — Close to station
  • Disliked — Tatty and poor neighbourhood
  • Stayed April 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed December 22, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in December 16.-20.2008. Property has good locations, max.10 minutes from Union Station L.A.
I got a room with two double beds with street view. Beds and carpets old.
I expected something else according to hotel photos, which are on their website. Reality is regret much different.
Hotel provide wireless internet for free. Regret PC with internet access is paid, 2 USD per hour, 1 printed page - 0,50 USD.

I paid 89 USD for single room/night + 14% tax.

Breakfast was limited. Two kinds of cereals, bagels, toasts, butter cake. Cream cheese, jam, butter.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — offer of service, limited breakfast, something else on website than in reality
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank SkyTravelPRG
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed August 31, 2008

The Metro Plaza hotel was very convenient for our family of 3 to stay at because we arrived via Amtrak at Union Station. We were able to walk to the hotel with no problems. The Subway next door was also convenient for quick food on the first night, since we arrived late. We were easily able to catch the Metro Red line train to Universal Studios with no difficulty and get back to Union Station to rent a car when we wanted to branch out further. The location of the hotel was excellent, but there were some problems.

The room was quite spacious, actually surprisingly so for the money, but we never quite seemed to get enough washcloths (3) despite the fact they knew that there were 3 of us staying in the room.

You do have to pay for parking, but at $5 a day, it was worth it since parking is so bad in the area.

There was no guide to the TV channels (most were in Spanish anyway), and when we asked for one, we were told they just had "regular channels" even though we said we were not from Los Angeles, so our channels were different.

There was no TV remote in the room, and when asked for one (along with a guide for the TV) that portion of the question was ignored. We actually found the remote the day before we checked out, under one of the beds.

Even though the breakfast was not a deciding factor in choosing a hotel, the thought of not having to look for breakfast in a new city was nice, however when we went down for breakfast the first day we quickly discovered why other reviews on breaksfast were so bad. The area was small, with nowhere left to sit, the food lackluster at best and it looked like some people had walked in from the street to eat, and weren't guests at the hotel. Thank God for Philippe's being nearby in walking distance, with excellent service and breakfast for a very reasonable price.

The beds were lumpy and one of them had a dip in it, and creaked alot. Two of the chairs in the dining area had large stains on the seats.

Decent stay if you are only looking for somewhere to sleep at a busy day of siteseeing, and somewhere close to everything.

• Liked — The closeness to everything
  • Disliked — The breakfast, nothing on TV (no guide), and lack of washcloths
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Fam_O_3
Atascadero, California
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Like all the prior reviews I read of the great location and general consensus of hotel/room condition, I do agree. I was okay with everything until walking into the dark bathroom, flipping on the light and seeing a bug scuttle across the counter! A kleenix box was setting on the counter, I grabbed it and smashed the bug ... to discover that it was a cockroach! I did not sleep well even tho I didn't see any others or evidence of others, but doubt we will stay there again. I did add two photo's showing proof of it on the bathroom counter and I did compare to online photo's to confirm before submitting this review.

• Liked — The location to Dodger Stadium, Chinatown, and Olvera Street.
  • Disliked — That it had the bug in our bathroom!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends