Metro Plaza Hotel
$525
$407
Travelocity
  • Beachfront
Hollywood Hotel(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
$765
$309
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
$271
$212
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewsolvera streetbagelscontinental breakfastcoast starlighttwo blockshomeless peopledowntown ladodger stadiummetro systemroom was largedesk clerkwould stay here againclean hotelamtrakoliveralaxconvenience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 31, 2008

The Metro Plaza hotel was very convenient for our family of 3 to stay at because we arrived via Amtrak at Union Station. We were able to walk to the hotel with no problems. The Subway next door was also convenient for quick food on the first night, since we arrived late. We were easily able to catch the Metro Red line train to Universal Studios with no difficulty and get back to Union Station to rent a car when we wanted to branch out further. The location of the hotel was excellent, but there were some problems.

The room was quite spacious, actually surprisingly so for the money, but we never quite seemed to get enough washcloths (3) despite the fact they knew that there were 3 of us staying in the room.

You do have to pay for parking, but at $5 a day, it was worth it since parking is so bad in the area.

There was no guide to the TV channels (most were in Spanish anyway), and when we asked for one, we were told they just had "regular channels" even though we said we were not from Los Angeles, so our channels were different.

There was no TV remote in the room, and when asked for one (along with a guide for the TV) that portion of the question was ignored. We actually found the remote the day before we checked out, under one of the beds.

Even though the breakfast was not a deciding factor in choosing a hotel, the thought of not having to look for breakfast in a new city was nice, however when we went down for breakfast the first day we quickly discovered why other reviews on breaksfast were so bad. The area was small, with nowhere left to sit, the food lackluster at best and it looked like some people had walked in from the street to eat, and weren't guests at the hotel. Thank God for Philippe's being nearby in walking distance, with excellent service and breakfast for a very reasonable price.

The beds were lumpy and one of them had a dip in it, and creaked alot. Two of the chairs in the dining area had large stains on the seats.

Decent stay if you are only looking for somewhere to sleep at a busy day of siteseeing, and somewhere close to everything.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Fam_O_3
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Like all the prior reviews I read of the great location and general consensus of hotel/room condition, I do agree. I was okay with everything until walking into the dark bathroom, flipping on the light and seeing a bug scuttle across the counter! A kleenix box was setting on the counter, I grabbed it and smashed the bug ... to discover that it was a cockroach! I did not sleep well even tho I didn't see any others or evidence of others, but doubt we will stay there again. I did add two photo's showing proof of it on the bathroom counter and I did compare to online photo's to confirm before submitting this review.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bill-and-Laura
Reviewed July 25, 2008

I would clearly recommend it. Its no frills, clean, right next to china town and Olivera street (Mexican food and some historical stuff), across from the train station and the California Endowment. I have stayed here twice for business (free wireless and breakfast included). I had a deluxe suite for 149 per night, it was large, had kitchen, nice bathroom. can't complain. No room service. Health Club or exercise room is very limited

I could easily stay in big fancy hotel in downtown hotel and have stayed at the Biltmore and grand Whilshire (I am not paying for the room), but I prefer this place. Downtown is so boring at night. This is a real good deal. In my terms, I would rate it "just fine".

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank GratefulDave
Reviewed July 19, 2008

I stayed in this hotel because I was summoned for Jury Duty service at the District Court nearby. The location is perfect if you are as "lucky" as I am and have to go for Jury Duty. There are lots of good places to eat - there is a Subway Restaurant right outside the front door, and several Mexican Food Restaurants across the street on Olivera Street.
As for the room itself, the carpet had a few stains, the curtains were fading and worn from the sun, the furniture wasn't the newest, but for the price it is worth it - the sheets are clean, the people were very friendly, and the wireless internet service worked great.
The second night I was in town the hotel was booked and I had to go somewhere else where I spent double the money and the accomodations were the same. Parking is only $5.00 per day, the cheapest I could find anywhere around. I will be staying here again!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank jaggirl30
Reviewed June 25, 2008

We stayed at the Metro Plaza while in LA for a conference. The room was large and the bathroom very large. The window was minimal and there was little air circulation but the air conditioning worked well. All if the hotel appearaed clean. It is an older hotel without any extras, but convenient to the Union Station and the MetroLine and the price was good. My only complaint would be that the air conditioner was too close to the bed and sent out a chilly blast. There was a table and three chairs, but no lounging spot except on the bed. Its situation next to Chinatown was interesting to us too.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple