“THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Metro Plaza Hotel

Metro Plaza Hotel
Ranked #140 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
NY,NY
“THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I spent a week at Metro Plaza 7/18-25 as a solo female traveler visiting friends and sights in LA. I was pleasantly surprised, the room was big, very clean, great shower, good wifi, fresh towels and sheets everyday. The front desk was polite and helpful, and the breakfast, although spartan, was very welcomed.

Being so close to Union station, literally two blocks away, and the convenience of the LA metro and buses to Santa Monica and elsewhere leaving from there [plus the LAX Fklyaway airport bus], etc,was a huge advantage.

Oliveria Street is across the way, with great Mexican restaurants. Otherwise there is a dearth of places to eat around the hotel, but Chinatown is a few blocks walk.

For the sheer convenience, location, and price I would recommend Metro Plaza and give a A+ for effort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 7225

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
san mateo CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Metro Plaza is a place to stay, it is not a destination resort, it is not luxurious, it does not have a hot tub in every room. It has reasonable clean rooms and acceptable service. It is also not particularly expensive. A convenient walk from Union Station (a classic railroad station if anyone cares). It is close to the Metro and therefore much of greater LA (note much of what is tourist LA demands a car, LA remains what was created by bad planning from the beginning).

The immediate area is ok if I was disappointed at how early the nearby chinese restaurants closed, as a long time San Francisco Bay Area resident I expected Chow Fun at midnight. The sandwich place nearby is opened late and quite good. Olvera St. just a stoplight away is interesting if obviously touristy.

I found my stay there pleasant. I am not sure what the very negative reviews are about. I myself over rated it to balance out some of that negativity. It is a fine place to stay in Downtown LA.

I will admit the free Wi-Fi was a bit sketchy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JAHSanAnselmo
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

So we only stayed here overnight. We had arrived late on the Amtrak and was leaving early the next morning...also on Amtrak. We just needed a place to lay our heads for the night. This hotel was within walking distance to the train and was inexpensive. It also offered a free continental breakfast. We were not impressed with the room nor the breakfast. The room was dated (a tube television) but appeared clean. The air conditioner bare worked...the room never became cool, but was comfortable. The breakfast was comprised of mostly cereal, coffee and fresh fruit (bananas and apples). Now I know you say that's what "continental breakfast" means...however, I have stayed at hotels that offer continental breakfast that has bagels, boiled eggs, oatmeal, donuts, etc. We grabbed a banana and ate at the Starbucks at the train station. On the upside, they do have free wi-fi.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Central NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is a great hotel for convenience and in-city affordability. I call it the type of hotel that tries. The room is generally clean but you can see it's been around the block awhile. There are little maintenance issues like cracked floor tiles and some dirty corners in the bathroom but overall you can tell they are trying to mimic the big chains. It is right across the street from Union Station and for $100 night with an additional charge of $4 for parking, it's price point was spot on.

We encountered a problem in our reservation in that we reserved a King room but they were sold out so we got a double queen instead. Not a problem really, but that room costs more then a King does and initially they weren't going to honor the lower price. However at checkout all was adjusted with the manager and since this resolved well it didn't impact the overnight stay negatively.

Room Tip: The complimentary breakfast was sufficient but don't expect more than bagels, toast, bananas and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here for a total of three nights. The hotel itself it tidy and clean, our room was quiet, clean, had everything that we needed and a comfy bed to sleep on. The view from our room was not that great, but we were not worried as we hadn't come for the view. If you are wanting a central place to stay in L.A that is safe, clean, with helpful staff then this is the place for you. Just a five minute walk from Union Station, two minute walk to the Mexican shopping Area, on the edge of China Town, and a two minute walk to the best chinese restaurant in the world-nothing flashy, just brilliant food. The complimentary breakfast at the hotel was great, fresh juices, hot drinks, cereals, toast, bagels, muffins, and really friendly staff to help you start our day. Thanks Metro Plaza, you were great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Petina K
Perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Picked this hotel purely for its proximity to Union Station. Very convenient for a 4am depature on Amtrak. Easy walking distance even with our luggage... although I wouldn't have liked to be out walking by myself at that time!
Stayed here on 2 separate nights, before and after our trip, and were quite happy with both our rooms. They look a bit old and dated, but both were well cleaned, had crisp white sheets on the bed and a hot shower.
Metro Plaza is not in the heart of 'touristy' LA, but with a bit of time and access to the train you can get most places cheaply and easily. We had no trouble getting to LAX when needed, or Universal City Walk.
I wouldn't stay here for a week long holiday, but the hotel is definitely good for a stopover if arriving at, or departing from, Union Station.

• Stayed March 2013
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had often seen this hotel, at the north end of downtown Los Angeles, but I had never stayed there. On this visit, I did not want to use my car, so I walked the two blocks from the Union Station subway stop. The room was large enough to move around, and everything was clean. For the money, in my opinion this hotel was nicer than the other budget hotels I've visited in downtown LA.

It is near the Olvera Street and Chinatown tourist areas. It is also near the gigantic Los Angeles County Jail, which explains the bail bondsman next door to the hotel and some of the rough looking characters who were hanging around the area late on a recent Saturday night -- although no one pestered me on my walk from the subway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo