“Great location”

Ranked #136 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Santa Barbara, California
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

For a day of sight-seeing before a business meeting, this place was wonderful. Parking at the location is cheap, only a block from Olvera Street, which was surprisingly lovely (especially the plaza with its big trees and gazebo--reminded me of the zocalo in Oaxaca. Union Station is only two blocks away and Chinatown, the Disney Concert Hall and the Music Center are within a mile. The hotel is dated, smells a little funky in the hallways, but my room was well-appointed and clean. Experienced budget travelers will be quite pleased. I plan to return. Excellent Chinese restaurant behind the hotel--Mayfair Chinese Seafood Restaurant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Umbeijo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Good for an overnight as it has union station, convenience store, Chinatown and Mexican district so close.
Room was large, everything worked in the room and breakfast was simple.
Also contained a mini fridge and ice machine on each floor.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Aussiegal1978
Sierra Vista, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

The three best things about this 4-floor hotel are its location - an easy walk (just about 2 blocks) from Union Station, in the center of Chinatown and close to downtown. Right next store is a convenience store selling coffee & gelato, plus the usual fare. Check-in was easy. There's free wi-fi, but be sure to ask the desk clerk for the password. The helpful desk clerk provided good restaurant recommendations for dinner. Our room was spacious. It had an in-room safe that cost 50 cents to use and a fridge. The hotel is definitely dated, with a 1950's feel to it. The halls have a musty feel to them, but our room was clean. I especially liked that I could open the window to get fresh air; that's almost unheard of in hotels. If you are looking for a sterile chain motel, this isn't it. But if you are looking for an interesting experience in a very reasonably priced hotel close to Union Station, you can't beat this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Scullyster
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

this hotel is very close to union station (you have to walk through entire station though when arriving with the flyway bus) walk over the road and hit right, at the gas station you see the big sign on your left side. checkin went quick. if I had any question the staff helped me out.

Hotel is nice, my room was ok. breakfast was ok. nothing to complain about really.
the chinese area is close, and since the subway and local buses are everywhere you can easily get to the other parts of LA without any problems.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Gurtol
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I spent 5 nights here in May and it quite possibly rates as the worst hotel I've visited (and I visit the developing world heaps)!!!!

Rooms are like you have stepped into a time machine and are hugely dated. Bathroom wasn't clean and even though serviced I think all they did was pour some bleach around for the smell of cleanliness.

Paper thin walls mean your neighbours have an impact on your sleep..... Unfortunately it sounded like the room next door was a brothel for 3 nights running.

The continental breakfast isn't worth the effort..... Go to subway next door!

The location didn't feel safe but there was a shooting near by during my stay.

I went as far as checking out 6 hours early and getting a shuttle across to LAX and waiting 5 hours to fly back to Australia.

All in all I would recommend if you want value for money in LA avoid this place like the plague and spend some extra cash or check into an upmarket backpackers

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank muesque

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

If you want a low hassle visit to downtown LA, Metro Plaza is the place. I was on Amtrak and the Metro Plaza is a block from Union Station. It is also across from Chinatown and Olvera Street. The place is solidly built and the rooms clean. I really like the spacious and tiled bathroom. A great value in a perfect location.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank AlanDOHashi
Leopold
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Please read my whole review!!!! I just spent the worst seven days of my life staying at THE METRO PLAZA HOTEL DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES one star rating is too good. After booking online and trying to get confirmation the only thing I received was an email from MR WOO saying what a great choice I had made? Details of my booking were never sent to me and when I arrived I was charged a higher rate. When I demanded to see my original booking I was told by Mr Woo he couldn't find it when it was "FOUND" the rate had been changed from original to higher. I then had to deal with Mrs Woo? who demanded I pay the extra. Next day I asked to use the internet "sorry its not working, then it was working but had only dial up and took 5 minutes to load a page. Six times the elevator broke down. There seemed to be a woman constantly sitting on the couch in the foyer I don't thing she was waiting for a ride?? No in-room tea / coffee or microwave as suggested on booking sites you need to go to the foyer of the hotel if you want such luxuries. Honestly I could go on and on about the bad things at this hotel but the worst thing by far is the staff. I went to check out of the hotel and said I intended to dispute the extra charges this made them angry so when I asked were to store my luggage the attendant said you can't "YOU ARE A THREAT TO ME" I laughed and said pardon he said and I got him to write it down.. I quote " HOTEL DOES NOT AGREE WITH DISPUTE, YOU MAY NOT STEP BEHIND THE COUNTER (baggage area)FOR MY SAFETY CONCERNS I DON'T KNOW IF YOU HAVE A WEAPON" he then signed Daniel stood to attention and started singing at the top of his voice GOD BLESS AMERICA. I suggested he get help and left the hotel. Although I laugh about it now at the time I was very upset and have lodged a complaint with the local Authorities. I also stayed at other 2 ** location around Los Angeles and had a great time see my review for Travelodge Santa Monica *****

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo