“Great location, great size”
Review of Metro Plaza Hotel

Metro Plaza Hotel
Ranked #139 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Brisbane
“Great location, great size”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Good for an overnight as it has union station, convenience store, Chinatown and Mexican district so close.
Room was large, everything worked in the room and breakfast was simple.
Also contained a mini fridge and ice machine on each floor.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Aussiegal1978

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The three best things about this 4-floor hotel are its location - an easy walk (just about 2 blocks) from Union Station, in the center of Chinatown and close to downtown. Right next store is a convenience store selling coffee & gelato, plus the usual fare. Check-in was easy. There's free wi-fi, but be sure to ask the desk clerk for the password. The helpful desk clerk provided good restaurant recommendations for dinner. Our room was spacious. It had an in-room safe that cost 50 cents to use and a fridge. The hotel is definitely dated, with a 1950's feel to it. The halls have a musty feel to them, but our room was clean. I especially liked that I could open the window to get fresh air; that's almost unheard of in hotels. If you are looking for a sterile chain motel, this isn't it. But if you are looking for an interesting experience in a very reasonably priced hotel close to Union Station, you can't beat this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Scullyster
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed April 7, 2013

this hotel is very close to union station (you have to walk through entire station though when arriving with the flyway bus) walk over the road and hit right, at the gas station you see the big sign on your left side. checkin went quick. if I had any question the staff helped me out.

Hotel is nice, my room was ok. breakfast was ok. nothing to complain about really.
the chinese area is close, and since the subway and local buses are everywhere you can easily get to the other parts of LA without any problems.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Gurtol
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I spent 5 nights here in May and it quite possibly rates as the worst hotel I've visited (and I visit the developing world heaps)!!!!

Rooms are like you have stepped into a time machine and are hugely dated. Bathroom wasn't clean and even though serviced I think all they did was pour some bleach around for the smell of cleanliness.

Paper thin walls mean your neighbours have an impact on your sleep..... Unfortunately it sounded like the room next door was a brothel for 3 nights running.

The continental breakfast isn't worth the effort..... Go to subway next door!

The location didn't feel safe but there was a shooting near by during my stay.

I went as far as checking out 6 hours early and getting a shuttle across to LAX and waiting 5 hours to fly back to Australia.

All in all I would recommend if you want value for money in LA avoid this place like the plague and spend some extra cash or check into an upmarket backpackers

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank muesque
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

If you want a low hassle visit to downtown LA, Metro Plaza is the place. I was on Amtrak and the Metro Plaza is a block from Union Station. It is also across from Chinatown and Olvera Street. The place is solidly built and the rooms clean. I really like the spacious and tiled bathroom. A great value in a perfect location.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank AlanDOHashi
Leopold
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Please read my whole review!!!! I just spent the worst seven days of my life staying at THE METRO PLAZA HOTEL DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES one star rating is too good. After booking online and trying to get confirmation the only thing I received was an email from MR WOO saying what a great choice I had made? Details of my booking were never sent to me and when I arrived I was charged a higher rate. When I demanded to see my original booking I was told by Mr Woo he couldn't find it when it was "FOUND" the rate had been changed from original to higher. I then had to deal with Mrs Woo? who demanded I pay the extra. Next day I asked to use the internet "sorry its not working, then it was working but had only dial up and took 5 minutes to load a page. Six times the elevator broke down. There seemed to be a woman constantly sitting on the couch in the foyer I don't thing she was waiting for a ride?? No in-room tea / coffee or microwave as suggested on booking sites you need to go to the foyer of the hotel if you want such luxuries. Honestly I could go on and on about the bad things at this hotel but the worst thing by far is the staff. I went to check out of the hotel and said I intended to dispute the extra charges this made them angry so when I asked were to store my luggage the attendant said you can't "YOU ARE A THREAT TO ME" I laughed and said pardon he said and I got him to write it down.. I quote " HOTEL DOES NOT AGREE WITH DISPUTE, YOU MAY NOT STEP BEHIND THE COUNTER (baggage area)FOR MY SAFETY CONCERNS I DON'T KNOW IF YOU HAVE A WEAPON" he then signed Daniel stood to attention and started singing at the top of his voice GOD BLESS AMERICA. I suggested he get help and left the hotel. Although I laugh about it now at the time I was very upset and have lodged a complaint with the local Authorities. I also stayed at other 2 ** location around Los Angeles and had a great time see my review for Travelodge Santa Monica *****

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Bonita I
Sacramento, California
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We didn't expect the Ritz, for what we were paying, but everything we needed (proximity to Union Station, good parking, courteous staff, cleanliness of room) was provided.

The room maid went out of her way to meet extra requests. The staff were very helpful and security conscious for our parking needs.

For price, proximity to Union Station (-3 blocks), convenient parking, and courteous staff, we couldn't expect more.

Room Tip: Assigned room on 4th floor was fine. Everything worked and was clean.