“good location to union station”
Review of Metro Plaza Hotel

Metro Plaza Hotel
Ranked #154 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed February 24, 2013

From airport I rode flyway bus to union station. From bus stop, through lobby of union station, totally I walked 10 minutes to this hotel.
Room facilities are very old but room is clean and acceptable. You can eat in China Town or Mexico street.
Breakfast was simple but nice.
In Union station information center you can get free maps.

Room Tip: I choosed a room facing to backyard, quiter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank renqiang

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Simple, affordable and convenient. Travelled with two young children and we walked, lugged our luggages and a stroller from hotel to Union station to catch Pacific Surfliner to San Diego. Walking distant from hotel to Union station took about 10-15mins. Room was clean and it was safe to walk around the area at night.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank taffilya
Reviewed January 20, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank annjoy
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Not much to look at from the outside, but this hotel (and staff) pleasantly surprised us. Just two blocks from Union Station (from where you can easily get to anywhere), Chinatown (v.safe, even at night), and Skid Row (few derro's but they don't seem to bother anyone). The area's a bit like "little Mexico" but the locals are v.friendly. Hotel's "continental breakfast" is a bit more than we expected (including 24 hours free coffee and free newspapers). V.big room and everything worked. Free soap, shampoo, towels and hairdryer. Room safe (50c per use). Free wifi and lobby PC, helpful reception staff. Bus stop for "hop on, hop off" sightseeing tours is a short walk towards Union Station. Early check-in (9am!) no extra charge and they happily let us leave our baggage for several hours after check-out. Catch the Flyaway bus from outside LAX and pay at destination (return tickets are better value).

Room Tip: It's a quiet area so choosing rooms not a problem.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank linhmar
Reviewed November 26, 2012

For the price and location - I can't complain! My room was clean, comfortable and quiet (well, as quiet as Downtown LA is ever going to be). I chose this hotel as I needed to catch an early morning Amtrak train from Union Station, so you can't beat it for proximity to Union Station (easy 5 minute walk). The breakfast was very simple but had enough to keep me going. And while there were a few strange room quirks e.g. weird stain on the carpet, some dated features, I was happy with what I got for the price I paid. I emailed the hotel after I checked out as I'd misplaced an item (cell phone charger) and the responses I got were very caring and professional - so top marks on that account.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jo_au
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Great for a stay over and catching a train the next day. Adequate. Nothing glamorous and not a preferred place. Outdated. That said the staff is very truthfully and Helpful. Seemed to be stuck in the 1970s. Was told there was a breakfast but didn't get to try it due to our Time constraints

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank bigbriza
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Had a two day stay in LA. Hotel is within walking distance of Union Station. Room and bathroom was clean. On the small side but no problem. Heater/ AC worked fine. Inset of building ment you had two windows . Had some what of a view.
Staff was great. We got in early morning. [ 8:00 AM ] Walked to the hotel from the station. Desk clerk was very helpful. Of course we were to early to check in. He said come back or call in about a hour..I will try to get a room ready for you. We needed to do some drugstore shopping so off we went. Called about an hour and a half later. He said come on back. [ Side note. there is an underground shopping center about six blocks east of the hotel. The Downtown Mall I think. Hard to find untill you are right on top of it. ]
Desk clerk had a room for us. A great help.
This hotel is used by many Amtrak passengers. Dont let the neighborhood or the facade fool you this hotel is clean and I made sure. The bathroom is one of the first places I check. This was clean. Lighting was good shower was clean and good pressure.
They have a free continental breakfast. This can be a free for all. There is some seating. I got coffee and some danish and took it back to the room. It was well stocked and had a attendant.
Check in and out fast. Staff very pleasant and helpful.
Two nights 1 king bed $ 219.00
This hotel is on most tour pick up list.
Less than a block from Olvera ST.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple