“Nice in a way but far from perfect”

Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel
Ranked #16 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Gatineau, Canada
“Nice in a way but far from perfect”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

The goods:

Nice outside ground

Good service

Free wifi

Nice Pool

Bad side:

Terrible location ( Can't walk near the hotel, Highway near. Far from everything except Getty museum )

Room not insulated, you can hear everything ( If someone walks on top, you'll hear him, even the tv from the room beside you)

Vallet Parking 25 plus tax, is a bit too much but that's LA

Bathroom need a brighter color. the green on walls is too dark!

Basically, there's better hotels in LA for the same price.

If you need some tips on good hotels, feel free to ask.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank alliyance
Kelly H, Guest Relations Manager at Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2012
Dear alliyance,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your comments on our grounds, pool, complimentary WiFi, and our service. As far as the room insulation is concerned, please note that we are currently working to minimize the noise levels by adding special materials between the walls and doors of our rooms. Also, our Valet parking service is provided by an outside service of which we ensured would have the lowest rates compared to our nearest competitors. They provide excellent customer service and are available 24 hours a day.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I do hope that we will welcome you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

really nice staff, great location and the large room made luxe a nice retreat after a long business meeting.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Nyc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

No view from room. Room did not look like photos on website. The bathtub in my FIRST room had a really slow drain so had to switch rooms... SECOND room had a musty odor to it, rogue hairs on the bed and the bathroom had mildew all over it. I asked to switch a THIRD time but they claimed that they were overbooked untill I stopped being nice. They offered another option that was unacceptable and we ended up checking out.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank SETHP742
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

Location was great. Close to UCLA and Santa Monica.
That all said, the hotel staff strives to be a little too pretentious.
The hotel was nice and clean. However the bathrooms need an update.
Construction was ongoing during our stay. The construction crew was using a glue that let off some very powerful, unpleasant fumes. Made me choke and gave me a headache as I walked by the construction zone. I advised to hotel crew of this and also notified them in a subsequent survey. The only response was "I will let them know".
Also, there should also be self parking at this hotel. It is valet only a $25 a day. The garage is under the hotel and easily accessible to the hotel lobby. This would be easy for guests to self park in. I pulled up in my rental Hyundai... the valet guys at first were helpful until the guy in a Jaguar pulled up behind me... then they forgot I even existed.
Finally, the restaurant is overpriced.... this presumably is so to attract the local BelAir and Beverly Hills crowds. $50 Sunday brunch!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank atcdork
LuxeGM, General Manager at Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear atcdork,

I appreciate your thoughtful review. Location is one of our strong points to be sure.

We did recently complete a small renovation project in our Brentwood Hallway on our Sunset level and I am sincerely sorry if your stay was adversely affected by this. Alternative accommodations in a different area of the hotel should have been offered to you and I apologize if this was not the case. I will follow up with the relevant departments to ensure this does not happen again.

For liability reasons, we do ask that we handle all vehicular traffic on property. Self parking is available for long term stays and we poll surrounding hotels to keep our rates the lowest compared to others.

Our Sunday brunch is vast and includes complimentary parking as well as your choice of sparkling, white or red wine and non-alcoholic beverages as well. Again, we price our buffet in keeping with area brunches and believe it still provides good value for the money.

I hope you choose to return to Luxe Sunset Boulevard in the future. Please contact me directly if I may be of any assistance whatsoever.

Reg Archambault
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

The Luxe is a wonderful Hideway from all the mess that encompass LA. Just off the 405 freeway at Sunset, this gem has been renovated into a high end hotel. It was the Bel Aire Sands in a former life. I have been a guest for over 20 years. Great location, easy access to Beverly Hills, Westwood and the Valley. The only negative was the WiFi is spotty around the property.
A very friendly staff and all the amenities you need: pool,tennis court and a Spa on sitting in the trees above the crazy 405 expressway. The Getty is next door if you crave culture on your trip to the City of Angel's. I give the Luxe a big thums up overall.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Alan C,

We truly appreciate your feedback, especially given that it comes from someone who is from the area and has known the hotel for so long. I am happy to report that the one item you noted requiring attention, the Wi-Fi connection, will be upgraded ten fold from 3 mbps to 30 mbps in mid May. As always, this service will be complimentary. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to make your future stays more enjoyable.

Reg
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

I stayed at the Luxe this past weekend, while in Los Angeles to attend a family event. It was recommended to me by a relative in LA, who knew the hotel was in a good location from which to attend the various parties. He hadn't stayed at the hotel himself but had heard good things about it. So I booked it.

As I drove up late last Friday, I realised I had stayed at the hotel before, under it's former name and ownership, which I think was the Beverly Sands. The hotel staff was very welcoming to this weary traveler and quickly processed by check in and got me into a room. The hotel was actually in two parts; the lower building where I had my room and the upper building, above the other part and reachable by golf cart or foot. I had a massage and facial the following afternoon at the spa in the upper building.

I was very impressed by both the service and accommodation at the Luxe. I had been a little troubled by the possibility about not being young and hip enough to stay at the Luxe, given it's reputation, but found there was none of that vibe in the air. I had booked a small suite because I was guaranteed a walk-in shower instead of a shower-in-a-tub, and the room was excellently furnished in a stylish, low-key way. Both room and bathroom were kept immaculate by the staff for the time I was there. And the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Who could ask for a better hotel stay?

Oh, and the reason I mention the "quiet" part in the review's title? Because the Luxe is located at the Sunset Avenue exit of the 405. But the hotel is so well placed and insulated by foliage that I never once heard the freeway noise.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
northern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

I have stayed at the Luxe on Sunset twice now and it has many excellent qualities. Foremost, the staff is very customer oriented and they go out of their way to please. The valet staff was plentiful and there was never a wait for my car to be taken or delivered. Room service was fast and efficient even after 10 pm. My room was always made up perfectly; fresh sheets on the beds without requiring a special request and evening turn down. Although the Luxe was some sort of motel in its former life, this is only evident in the hallways. The public spaces and guest rooms are very chic and decorated in soothing natural colors. Standard rooms are not huge, but the size is adequate. Rooms in the main building have balconies where you can sit outside and watch the birds in the foliage, a rarity in LA. The location is adjacent to the 405 freeway, but traffic noise is not a problem inside the rooms. The main negative was that construction was continuing on the 405 and there were detours on Sunset which were inconvenient.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
LuxeGM, General Manager at Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear SiskiyouTraveler,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I appreciate your comments regards to our atmosphere and service. It certainly echos what others are saying and sets us apart from our competitive set.

The I-405 project will be completed by August of this year in our neighborhood, easing the detours and inconvenience associated with them. I am sorry your experienced difficulty with in that area.

I hope you continue to make us your hotel of choice in Los Angeles.

Reg Archambault
Beverly Hills
Luxe Rodeo Drive Hotel
Luxe Rodeo Drive Hotel
#5 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel? Share your experiences!