“Had better experience in less expensive hotels”
Review of Kawada Hotel

Kawada Hotel
Ranked #248 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“Had better experience in less expensive hotels”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Asked for non-smoking room, room reaked of cigarettes
Asked for a kitchenette, not provided
Fridge was not working, called front desk to have someone check it, never showed up
Only parking available is valet

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Babylulu08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This hotel was chosen by a travel agent to fit in with a shuttle to San Diego. It was no where near the Lux Bus depot. I have been to LA twice before and I should have known better. The staff were fantastic as my arrival time was early morning from Honolulu. The room was a bit poky but I guess for what you pay, and lets face it you only want a bed for the night. However, with the transfer to Lux Bus leaving at 0730HRS and a wake up call requested at 0630HRS I did not expect a knock on the door at 0725HRS informing me that the vehicle was downstairs. The reason was given that the phone didn't work. This was important as everything was hanging off the end of arriving in San Diego. Do a little homework and interrogate your travel agent, or check out the internet. The hotel seems to be in an ordinary part of town.

Room Tip: If it doesn't suit you just ask, I'm sure they would oblige, take an alarm clock or set your...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank victorc779
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I just moved to North Hollywood from Orange county and thought it would be fun to do a going away party out on the town since my apt has strict noise regulations. I booked a room at Kawada for about 80 bucks and had a few friends stay with me and since we joined forces on the pay it was super cheap. We had a charming room with 2 twin beds and it had a full length mirror in it which is rare for hotels. It was great for getting ready. We had a little kitchenette too which was cool. We headed down to the hotel's lounge Ebanos Crossing which was AWESOME. Everyone was really nice and even when we checked out they held our bags for us at the front while we explored the area. That night we went bar hopping which was super easy to do since the hotel is located in the middle of it all. Valet guy was REALLY nice. Overall a great experience. We all had a great night.

Room Tip: If you want a non-smoking room you gotta ask for it!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chelsea F
Spring, Texas
Reviewed May 23, 2014

My daughter and I took a kitchenette queen room for 5 days/4 nights. It is an old hotel that is downtown but walking distance to the subway and so many other sites and shopping. The room was clean and I inspected for any crawling or living creatures and there were NOT any! The staff there was very helpful, getting me directions and how to get around town by taxi, bus and subway. The maid cleaned every day and made sure we had clean towels and whatever we needed in our room. The room was not large and spacious but it had what we needed, small fridge and dresser, there was a coffee maker and stove. You can get what you may need from the desk for cooking. The room had air conditioning that worked well and the t.v. had lots of cable channels. You can park for a fee, we didn't have a car so we didn't use this feature. Internet was also available for a fee. There was a restaurant next door and a club on the corner next to the hotel. They only have one elevator and it worked well and we never had to wait long for it. The bathroom also had a blow dryer and a stand up shower (our room did not have a tub) but I preferred this anyway. The bathroom was small but for the two of us it was adequate. The room was also small but we were able to move around and we had plenty of luggage with us. We shopped downtown in the toy district, clothing district, jewelry district. We also went to the flower district, Little Tokyo and we walked most of that. The subway took us to Hollywood, after purchasing a TAP card for one dollar, we purchased a day pass for 5.00. It was neat to ride and we saw musicians playing and singing for their money! I would stay here again, as it was close to everything downtown and it was reasonably priced for the lodging we received. If you are looking for luxury you can stay at one of the 300.00 a night hotels. If you are looking for reasonably priced hotel just to sleep in, stay here. There also is no pool, but they do have computers that are free for you to use in the lobby.

Room Tip: If you are there on a Friday night, you may not want to stay on the second floor corner room as it...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank sarahjames1962
Reviewed May 19, 2014

wife and I have never been in a room this small,i could almost reach from one end to the other !! the bathroom is behind a small door, fridge was small and dirty stove was old but it did have plastic plates.great if your a munchkin. stayed on 3rd floor,elevator is scary,dirty. got out of elevator and entire floor leans to the right..no lie.
good part was that it has a balcony outside the room near the fire escape,love listening to the sounds of the big city,not as noisy as n.y.
not worth the price at all.paid 75.00 but 20.00 is to much
awful !!
Had a nice view where the window a/c unit is located of the roof of a smaller building..AWFUL !!
they spent all their money on the lobby
you have to pay to park 20 all day
you can't see your car at all,you don't know if it's safe or being stolen,outside parking.
what a waste of money..STAY AWAY
we won't EVER be returning in the future

Room Tip: stay at the mayfair hotel 3 miles away, much better..recommend
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank priusdad
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed here during our trip to LA. The staff here are very friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to help us. Well done. The room and area on the other hand..... The room is tiny. To give you an idea, there was about 2 ft. of space either side of the double bed and about 3 ft. at the end of the bed. The bed had old sheets on it. The rest of the room was fairly clean though. Very small TV but it worked fine. Old but clean bathroom. The area around the hotel is pretty dodgy. I would not want to be walking around it at night time. There is a subway 5 mins walk down the road which is great. There is nothing else in the area. We could not find any takeaways anywhere in the area. I would recommend that if your a tourist and staying in LA, try and stay somewhere near Hollywood. Your going to end up traveling there most of the time anyway.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor room, the streets are pretty noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joshua E
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

I went there not sure what to except but it was decent close to little tokyo which I loved not to far from Chinatown. And a short bus ride to koreatown also very nice is the grove they helped with any questions I had and was perfect for me! (if it helps to know I'm a young female and was solo) I would go there again .

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo