“Okay but not what I expected”

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
Ranked #8 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed September 25, 2006

I read many reviews about the Omni Hotel Los Angeles and most had nothing but great things to say about this property. Perhaps my expectations were set too high because my experience did not mirror that which others encountered. Here are the issues I found: Hotel staff not at all knowledeable about the area around the hotel (e.g. - restaurants, parking issues, etc) and they appeared minimally interested in helping me out. The rooms were adequate but nothing spectacular as I had expected from other reviews. The pool area had NO spa and the towels were not kept stocked adequately during my stay. One MAJOR issue I must make all aware of: parking is a joke! VERY expensive: $26.00 a day (valet) and if your into tipping everytime you have to get your car, then well hats off to you.. I'm not into that and it was quite costly during my stay. Parking around the hotel is not recommended due to the reported car thefts and burglaries in the area by hotel staff. I also didn't see any security on site at the hotel during my stay (at least they were not visible). Overall, the hotel is adequate but nothing remarkable and in my opinion this is not a 4 star property.

3  Thank clwrealty
Write a ReviewReviews (3,919)

Reviewed September 1, 2006

The Omni looks and feels a lot like a hotel which was flash in its day - unfortunately that day has passed. Not that it isn't perfectly ok, just some of it is a bit overblown for the standard of the hotel - eg the 10 bellmen mingling around all desperately trying to help you to earn a tip becomes a bit tiring. But thats coming from a New Zealander not used to that sort of thing so it might be perfectly normal.

Other than that the staff were friendly, room service prompt, the room was comfortable and the bed was huuuuge, and the location is ideal for exploring around the MOCA and Disney concert hall, and downtown.

A warning to NZers (and others) trying avoid staying in Anaheim, and have this place recommended to you by a travel agent (like we were). This is ok for a night, but beyond that it is quite restrictive as the nightlife is dead, even restaurants are hard to get to. Pay the extra money and stay in Hollywood or Santa Monica.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank passive649
Reviewed August 30, 2006

Wow - we had read the reviews and were ready for a nice stay - and we got it. The service is absolutely amazing. We tried to check in early, but there were no rooms available (understandably). When we came back over two hours later, the front desk greeted us by name and had everything ready for us. The concierge also performed admirably time and time again - with unique requests such as a tuxedo rental and dress alterations.

The beds are fantastic, I wanted to bring one home with me. A luxury hotel would offer nicer amenities, but this is top notch for the price.

Valet parking was expensive, but do join their frequest stay club - a hot pot of coffee delivered to your door each morning is a treat.

Location is central - while there are not a lot of dining choices nearby, it's expected that you'll drive everywhere anyway - it's LA!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank baileyd72
Reviewed August 30, 2006

I just got back from a trip to LA and stayed in both Santa Monica and the Omni in Downtown LA.

I booked the Omni based on the reviews here and on a great deal ($150 a night).

Whilst I was very happy with the hotel, I didn't experience any of the "wow" factors that other reviewers have. Reception staff were perfectly pleasant, but not exceptionally so, and in the two days I was there there was never once an occasion where the doorman opened the door for me - even when I came back laden with shopping bags! It seemed that they were focusing on the rich American families and business guests, rather than the lone female traveller - I wondered if they thought I was less likely to tip!?

The room was comfortable - and an enormous king size bed - but no hairdryer!!

The area is very quiet and didn't feel particularly safe. The Metro is only a block away, but you have to walk through an area populated by homeless people to get there. OK (if a little smelly) during the day, but certainly made me nervous of doing so at night.

In summary, if you need a comfortable room to rest your head, a good deal. If you want to be in the action, or want a hairdryer, try elsewhere!!

6  Thank Skidoodles
Reviewed August 14, 2006

Very nice place. Good size room. The bed is fantastic, better than my own at home. I loved that there was a nice white down comforter on the bed...you know it must be fairly clean if it is bright white. Nice comfortable chair.

The restaurant, Noe, is extremely expensive. There is an italian restaraunt on the second level in the plaza that is lovely and much more reasonably priced. Room service prices were as expected and the quality was good. I recommend that everyone coming here first sign up with their preferred customer program on the hotel web site. Then when you check in let the desk clerk know and they will give you tickets to have coffee/tea and juice/milk along with a newspaper delivered to your room in the morning whenever you choose. Very nice touch. You also have the ability to add a muffin or crossant at a very reasonable price like 1.50, with no delivery charge.

The doormen were excellent and always there to open the door for you or get you a cab or whatever.

18  Thank jojolina
Reviewed August 5, 2006

Our family of 4 enjoyed a great 3 nights stay at the superb Omni Los Angeles in July 2006. This hotel was one of the highlights of our short stay in L.A.
Although Downtown L.A. is indeed quiet, we figured that besides Santa Monica, every other neighborhood in L.A. is probably not a place we would want to go out for a walk at night... so, downtown ended up to be fine and central to access our sightseeing by car. The hotel is part of California Plaza which has a few restaurants, beautiful fountains and a stage for night concerts. While we were there, there was a free jazz venue every night which created some life around the hotel. The hotel has a quaint but magnificient lobby filled with the scent of fresh flowers. Our room with 2 double beds was large enough, with a big bathroom. It looked like it had just been reburbished with beautiful furnishings. Our room overlooked California Plaza (we recommend you ask for that view). The pool, while small, was very clean, with complementary towels and comfortable lounge chairs. Breakfast (included in our package) was full and served in a beautiful cafe. Staff were always courteous, smiling and highly professional. If you are travelling with kids, check out specials on the hotel's web site (we got a reasonably priced family deal with included room, parking, breakfast and a pizza-movie night! for about $US 180 per night)
We would definitely go back and encourage you to check it out and to not rule out staying downtown in L.A..

18  Thank RobCh
Reviewed August 3, 2006

Stayed here for 4 nights in early July. Found it a bit tricky to find as its located in downtown L.A. but used Mapquest which helped. We liked the location as it was handy for all the tourist attractions and at night it is very quiet . The standards at this hotel are very good - the staff are great, they could not be more helpful and the valet parking staff greeted you with "Welcome Back, etc, etc" The beds were very comfortable with lovely linens and we had a nice view out of our window. The reception area is very impressive. We would return if we went back to L.A.

10  Thank readbe4ugo