“Excellent! Highly Recommended,”

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
Ranked #8 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed August 8, 2009

This hotel has everything going for it, good location,spotlessly clean, incredibly quiet and had the most friendly staff - they just didn't put a foot wrong.
The entrance is impressive with freshly cut flowers.
There are 2 large containers with fruit infused water - which never seemed to run empty -a very welcome refreshment when you arrived back at the hotel every day. Also there was a huge bowl of apples which you could help yourself to.
There were 4 elevators so we only ever waited seconds each time.
The rooms themselves were spacious , as was the bathroom. The room we had was well appointed overlooking the courtyard with the water fountain.
The courtyard adjoining the hotel grounds has lots little food shops where there's a good selection to suit most tastes. Very handy for breakfast.

The staff are incredibly friendly and take the time to get to know you ( unusual in a large 'chain' hotel). We ate in the restaurant and in the bar area and were not disappointed, the food was excellent.
In the evening you can sit outside in the terrace area and the staff will offer to light the fires for you and they always stopped for a chat. We found them to be polite, courteous and genuinely friendly.

If you have a hired car, the valet parking charges at the hotel can add quite a bit to your final bill, so you can opt to park in one of the numerous open air car parks which are nearby and easily accessable although they do not operate an in/out same day system.
The concierge will gladly arrange for the complimentary hotel car to take you anyway within 3 miles .

There is a good sized fitness centre which leads you through to the pool area which is fairly small but usually empty most days so that's not really a problem.

Although the hotel is within easy walking distance of the shops at garment and toy districts, be aware that it is up a fairly steep hill so going is fine but coming back can be a bit tiring but certainly keeps you fit.

Would definitely recommend this hotel and will look forward to staying there again in gthe future.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2009

Thank you for your gracious feedback. We are delighted to seet that your stay was so memorable. It is the little details we offer, such as the flowers and water you mentioned, that we hope will provide an extra sense of welcome and appreciation for your patronage. However, what pleases us most of all is to hear that our staff made such a favorable impression on you across the board. We truly value every guest who comes through our doors as a member of the Omni family and appreciate the time you took to mention our staff's friendliness and caring. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. It will be our pleasure to be your "home away from home" in downtown Los Angeles.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,919)

Reviewed August 2, 2009

An unforgettable stay in Feb '09. Wish LA was closer, we would visit more often and would always stay at the Omni. Location is great, everything is clean and prepared with love and zeal, like it should be. Concierge Amy Leland is very professional and helpful. We never tried any of the hotel restaurants. Look out for their Mayan hot cocoa in the morning!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2009

We are delighted to hear that your stay was so memorable. It is indeed our mission, from our concierge staff across the board, to be a "home away from home" in Los Angeles. We hope to welcome you back in the near future, so that you may take advantage of all of our amenities so carefully conceived with our guests' comfort in mind. Thank you for your patronage!

Reviewed July 31, 2009

We stayed at the Omni in April , and overall we had no complaints. Check in was very easy , the lobby had fresh flowers everyday and the scents were just magical. Our room was very spacious and comparable to some suites in other hotels, and the bathroom was clean with marble floors. We left our rental car with the valet service and they were always fast in bringing it up in the morning and taking it at night.
If you are looking for the luxury of a leading hotel , then this is not the place to be, but if you are looking for courteous service, very spacious and clean room then you are at the right place. This is an excellent 4 stars hotel

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that your stay was a comfortable, welcoming one. While there are many options for lodging in downtown Los Angeles, it is the details you mentioned, such as the flowers and the efficiency of the valets, that we hope set us apart and make us the premiere destination for both business and leisure travellers. Additionally, in an ongoing effort to enhance our guests' experience, we are in the final planning stages of an elegant rooms renovation. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed July 30, 2009

Alright, so let me start by saying I'm a veteran of 2 combat theaters and I was traveling on military business...that having been said, please bear in mind I'm not used to a lot of nice things or fast service - most of military life is waiting in line and frequently being disappointed - life just isn't perfect...but that's alright in my book...

So I arrived at about 2 AM...(one note - if you arrive after 8 or 9 they lock all of the doors but the front door, so you can't enter through the plaza). They offer a valet service that costs less than self-parking, and they give you unlimited 'in-out' privileges, unlike the local parking garage. I didn't use the valets because I have to leave in a hurry usually and I can't wait for them to get my car, no matter how fast they are (not their fault at all, it just wasn't a good idea). However, it's very reasonably priced for the area and I would have definitely taken advantage of it otherwise.

When I got to the registration desk nobody was there - I wasn't terribly surprised, I would probably chill in the back room in the middle of the night since not many people would show up. The guy came out right away though - he wasn't slacking off or anything. He checked me in and I went up to my room...the 2nd finest hotel room I've ever stayed in. A treadmill was waiting for me, as well as a personally written letter from their concierge. They (usually) take their loyalty program membership very seriously (I'll explain the 'usually' later). VERY seriously. Before I even arrived, somebody had put 2 powerades on ice for me and a very nice bottle of spring water.

In my little guest folio thing I found 5 breakfast vouchers - one for every day of my stay, and 5 hang tags got being a Select Guest (if you're thinking of staying here, join that program - it's very nice). Their buffet is not your average, run of the mill buffet...it's not the Rio in Las Vegas or anything, but it's also not $40 either haha. They have the most amazing granola...decent-sized nuggets of it with yogurt is just wonderful...

When I returned after my first day out, I found a plate of chocolate-covered strawberries on my desk and a bottle of that nice water I mentioned earlier. Also, they provide Select Guest members with door hangers - you can specify 2 drinks and a time you want them delivered the following morning and they deliver them...it's nice - no alcohol but aside from that they have pretty much everything except milk.

Unfortunately, the strawberries was the only time they did this - I'm supposed to be a platinum member (I stayed at their Orlando resort a few weeks ago while I visited Disney World). Now, they brought me the strawberries the first day which is a benefit of being a platinum member, but for some reason they just stopped after that. Every day I would drive home after a long day at my unit wondering what their chef had made that day, but there was never anything after that. After a couple of days I just stopped expecting it and figured they forgot about me or whatever...I called down to the front desk and they said they didn't have my Orlando stay on record (which confused me a bit since they brought it the first day...and waters on 2 days). I'm not all that hung up on it, I just kept driving back wondering what would be in my room for me to taste and kept getting disappointed (like I said, I'm kind of used to that, not too big a deal). I just hope they credit me with these stays (and hopefully the ones from Orlando eventually). They treat their members very well according to their brochure.

The room is beautiful, and it seems like they take special care to place windows where they will give a breathtaking view - that's exactly what I got. Just remember to close your curtains if you're modest - I noticed some gals from the office across the way watching me one day when I got out of the shower and forgot to close them.

Their offering of 'snacks' is very unique. Very very unique...they have a magnifying glass (odd choice, since I could just use it while I'm here and put it back). They also sell pretzels, some Belgian chocolates, suede leather cleaner (another seemingly oddball choice), and many others. It was kind of like rummaging through a museum I guess lol...

They brought a fridge to me within 5 minutes of me asking - they're very good about that.

The place is located about 1 mile from The Original Pantry (ex-Mayor Riordan's restaurant - TRY IT!!! They have the most AMAZING cole slaw and sourdough bread and they're FREE!!!) It was a nice walk there, as well.

Their staff is very polite, especially the ones who work in the cafe...they always greeted me with a cheerful hello and talked to me for a bit.

All-in-all, this was a nice place to stay - the only black mark on it was the whole desserts thing, I was just looking forward to it a lot and I don't quite understand why I didn't get credit for my other stays...I booked them with my number and everything...but it's a wonderful place anyway, and I can't say enough good things about it. They do a very good job and take customer service very seriously...still, I was thinking I might try this Millenium Biltmore place a couple of doors down...it seems really nice inside...very interesting architecture...I'm staying in LA for the next 2 months so maybe I should try different places and see how they are. But I would definitely recommend this place - mistakes happen but at the end of the night I always slept comfortably and woke up the a breathtaking view in the morning. It's also the only hotel I've ever heard of that gives you a treadmill IN YOUR ROOM!!! Very very good point for somebody who likes to run in the morning.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2009

Thank you for such a thoughtful review. We welcome your comments and are very pleased that your experience was positive in most every way. We strive to be a "home away from home" to all of our guests, from the business traveler to those joining us on holiday. That being said, it is also important for us to know any instances when our guests' expectations were not exceeded. As a Select Guest, one may rest assured that his/her stays should be credited appropriately, if the Select Guest number was offered upon booking the reservation, as you mentioned in the instance of your reservation. (If you require any additional assistance to confirm, we would be happy to be of service internally, as we have a Select Guest Ambassador on hand to answer any questions you may have.) Additionally, we are pleased that in recent months, our Select Guest Program has been reviewed thoroughly, and enticing upgrades have been implemented, many of which you experienced. Included in those enhanced benefits at the Platinum level is a welcome amenity for one’s first evening with us. In conclusion, we would be grateful for an opportunity to host you in the future. While there are many choices for lodgings in the area, please know that we appreciate your patronage, and we sincerely hope that you will continue to take advantage your Select Guest benefits and a level of service and caring unparalleled in downtown Los Angeles.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

This is a great hotel and would be my choice anytime I need to be in downtown L.A. on business.

The hotel makes a good impression as soon as you enter: Efficient, polite check in and delivery of my bags. Fruit-infused ice water and apples available in the lobby – pretty nice on a hot L.A. summer day. Free wireless internet and other perks if you join their rewards program.

The room is pretty standard, with your typical hotel furnishings; the bed was very comfortable. The only two off-notes during my stay: usually at this price range you get a flat-screen TV these days, but here the TV was a regular TV, with only ok picture quality. I didn’t watch it much, so it wasn’t a problem for me. As another reviewer mentioned, the room had a bit of a sour smell – it wasn’t overpowering, but I wonder whether it was time to replace the carpet. Other than that though, everything was very clean and well-maintained.

I didn’t eat at the restaurant, but a breakfast buffet was included in my room rate. It wasn’t over the top, but they offered a good variety of breads, cereals, fresh fruit, and tasty hot dishes, including made to order eggs. The bar offers a happy hour from 4-6 pm, with discounted bar menu. Even if you don’t order food, the drinks come with complimentary peanuts (regular and wasabi), which were delicious and a nice touch. As with the rest of the hotel staff, the servers were excellent.

An extra bonus is the fitness center. I’m used to hotels cramming a few pieces of equipment in a mirrored room and calling it a gym. At the Omni, the fitness room is large enough to fit several machines while still leaving space to walk around. It’s also well-stocked with towels, water, and even headsets for the individual TVs on the equipment. I was not expecting such a nice space. There is an outdoor pool as well.
Budget $30/night plus tips for parking (valet), but honestly that seems to be the going rate at downtown hotels. I had no problems getting my car quickly when needed. There were some commercial parking lots nearby, but I preferred the convenience of having the car located on site.

Which brings me to the location. Downtown L.A. is ok and has a few cultural attractions to see, but it’s somewhat desolate (especially at night). There is a small shopping center / food court adjacent to the hotel, but it's mainly busy at lunchtime. So you will probably find yourself leaving the area pretty frequently, because much of the sightseeing, shopping and dining is located well outside downtown. There are buses and subway lines within a block or two, and the hotel provides a courtesy car that will take you within 3 miles of the hotel, so it’s not absolutely necessary to have a car. But, as someone who strongly prefers to walk and rely on public transportation, I have reluctantly found it necessary to rent a car for any stays longer than a couple of days in L.A.

Most of my trips to L.A. are for business though, so the downtown location was still convenient for me. If I were on vacation for beaches and shopping, I might choose to stay somewhere else, but that’s no knock on the Omni itself, which is an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2009

Thank you for your feedback. It is important for us to provide an experience that is comfortable and inviting and to treat our guests with genuine warmth and appreciation for their patronage. In an ongoing effort to enhance and exceed our guests' expectations, we are pleased to announce that we are in the final planning stages of an elegant rooms renovation which will include the items you mentioned and much, much more. Downtown Los Angeles is fast becoming a premiere destination for both leisure and business, particularly with the opening of the LA Live complex and other fantastic dining and theatre options. If your travels bring you back our way, please let our staff know if we may provide any additional suggestions for leisure or relaxation. It will be our pleasure to be of assistance!

Reviewed July 23, 2009

I stayed at the Omni in downtown LA on a recent business trip. I was happy to be given a room before 11 a.m., and gladly dropped my bags in the room before I went off to a meeting. When I returned after dinner and settled in, I became aware of a funky smell in the room--was it something plastic that had melted or had someone in need of a shower been in my room? I didn't spend much time in the room, and was too busy to go through the hassle of changing rooms, so I ended up just living with it. On day 2, though, I did notice that no one had really been cleaning the toilet thoroughly--there was literally a black ring of gunk around the inside. Doesn't anyone check the housekeeping department's work? This would have been unacceptable in the lowliest of hotels, but this is supposed to be upscale. I shudder to think what else wasn't being cleaned!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank webbit64
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2009

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us! Please accept our apologies for a less-than-exceptional experience. It is one of our top priorities to provide upscale service and products to our guests so that they feel like they are "home away from home". For that reason, your comments regarding the cleanliness of the guestrooms have been forwarded to our Director of Housekeeping and Director of Rooms to be addressed. We wish to provide you with a flawless experience, and hope to have another opportunity to do so in the near future.

Reviewed July 14, 2009

Ample bedroom with twin double beds. Very comfortable and crisp linen giving a marvellous sleep. Very clean bedroom with a quiet and effective air conditioning unit.

Sign up free of charge to the select guest programme on the hotel website and complimentary juices and hot drinks, as well as newspaper, will be brought up to the room when you wake.

No problems at all about the standards of this hotel.

In my opinion the Downtown location has far more plus points than negative ones. The attractions of the beaches and Hollywood are certainly some way away but buses and metro are both within 5 minutes walk and will deposit you onto Hollywood Boulevard inside 25-30 minutes. The Downtown district is full of architectural interest and highly impressive. Views from the top of the City Hall are splendid, a free treat that is often overlooked by visitors. Also nearby is the fantastic Union Station, with trains out to the valley towns.
True that nearby Pershing Square and Skid Row are filled with transients after dark and are a bit challenging, but trains to Civic Centre metro stop bypass all of that and provide a more comfortable 5 minute walk to the hotel.

The facilities nearby, particularly the cafes of California Plaza, make it pleasant simply to be around the hotel neighbourhood.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2009

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback on our hotel as well as our city! We are delighted to see that you had a chance to see the many facets that make up Los Angeles. The view from the top of City Hall is spectacular. We hope to welcome you back soon, especially after our guestroom renovations next year.