“Loved the Omni”

Ranked #6 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Dallas
“Loved the Omni”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

This hotel was central to all of the attractions we wanted to see in LA. There were free nightly shows downtown for my teenage sons. They both loved the shows. I think Sesame Street World was showing. The hotel staff was very helpful. The beds were so soft I did not want to leave. My only complaint is the extra cost for refridge(pay extra) and no microwave. Other than the 30.00 per day in/out parking, I was very satisfied. By the way, you may be able to walk 1/2 block up Olive and get in/out parking much cheaper if you don't mind the 1/2 block stroll.

• Liked — Beds
  • Disliked — Cost for parking
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Rjboys

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Albuquerque
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

The front desk service and the hostess for the Grand Cafe were rude. Simply posed questions easily confused the staff who responded with arrogance. Really, 80% of the staff could use a lot customer service training. The valet staff were the only decent people. The pictures are good but inaccurate. The room was simple and small. AND the water smells like sulfur. I would never stay at an Omni hotel again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Staff
5 Thank LuciMa
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2008

We stayed here 4 nights in the beginning of August 2008.

Room on 15th floor was spacious and light with all what we needed. Very clean.
View at MOCA and Disney concert hall.

Several places to dine close by in downtown LA but we used the bar at the hotel a couple of times. Great food.

We didn't see much of downtown LA but with closeby metro we reached Hollywood, Universal Stuidoes etc in 15 - 25 min.

My suggestion is to leave the car at the hotel when your going for Hollywood and Universal Studioes. Metro is great and cheap.

Friendly staff. Nice swimmingpool and fitness are.
Only minus was that the pool area ws in shade all afternoon but thats a minor deatil.

Would definitely reccomend this hotel to other people. Also for leisure travelers.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MadsCopenhagen
Medford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

I stayed here during Siggraph 2008 and enjoyed it. There is an outdoor pool which was really nice. It was outside the fitness center. I really enjoyed going in for a dip after a work out.

You can get free Internet access if you sign up to be a member of the Omni hotel guest program. That was definitely a bonus.

I had a room on the 16th floor with a King sized bed. It was very comfortable and quiet. Nice views from the windows and a comfortable visit all around.

• Liked — comfort
  • Disliked — no complaints
1 Thank catwings
Santa Rosa, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

I loved being here. This is a 4 star hotel, and it was a great experience. Everyone was very accomodating.

Our first room had a view of the fountain - unfortunately in the afternoon I smelled cigarette smoke coming up through the air vents - it was not in the hallway, so it was not neighbors.

I phoned the desk and we were immediately moved to another room. That room did not have a great view, and still had a sort of stale cig smell, so we moved again, back to the original floor, but, a corner suite, with fantastic views, and no cigarette smells whatsoever.

From the moment we arrived, Charlie helped us out (make sure you tip everyone btw, bring dollars and fives, or more if you wish), we were treated like royalty.

The maids were super sweet, the receptionists were great, the staff was amazing. Chocoalates and ice came in the afternoon as well as turn down. WiFi (make sure you sign up as a Select Guest on their website so you can get that free).

There's in and out service with the parking system, so you are only charged for parking once a day.

The bathroom is big - separate shower and bath. I asked for extra towels daily from the maid, she did this daily, without us asking which was great. BTW, the maids that we had were wonderful.

One night we were at a restaurant and called for the courtesy car to take us back.

Couldn't be happier! Great place to stay!

Oh and the manager sent us up fruit and an apology about the other two rooms, so we were very very happy.

Almost forgot this, we asked for a refrigerator for some of our personal things, and we had that in the room - no charge.

There was also daily shuttle service to the convention center.

Can you beat that? Nope!

• Liked — service, cleanliness, views, great buffet breakfast, great buffet lunch
  • Disliked — no negatives
1 Thank travelreviewer2000
Temecula
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

We just got back tonight and I just wanted to tell everybody that this hotel was a great pick for us. I picked the Omni in L.A. after reading the user reviews from tripadvisor and it was right on the money. Our room was on the eighth floor overlooking California Plaza and featured two beds with thick down comforters. The beds was comfortable, the room was quiet and smelled nice. The staff was really friendly. I needed to make change and a staff member went and got her purse and made change for me out of her own money. From the bellman, to the waiter in the cafe, to the front desk clerk everyone went out of their way to make sure our stay was great.

We ate in the cafe for breakfast. It's expensive but the waiter was really nice and professional. the food was outstanding and the coffee tasted excellent.

The view overlooking the plaza gave us great views and on Saturday night we were treated to a concert in the plaza directly below us.

It's walking distance to the Disney Concert Hall and the Museum of contemporary Art and a 2 minute drive to the 110 freeway. We went to the Santa Monica Pier in about 15 minutes and made a trip to Sunset Blvd and West Hollywood one day and a trip to Beverly Hills another day.

We went on a weekend but I expect the area is entirely different during the week. I could see huge traffic problems during the week. Also, It's just minutes from the Staples Center, the jewelry district and the convention center.

I used to work at the Four Seasons Hotel and this hotel reminded me of it, the decor, comfort and staff friendliness. I thought it was a great choice and I highly recommend it to anyone.

Here's my tip. Join the select guest club (free) and get free wireless internet and a view room upgrade for nothing.

• Liked — comfort
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank vaj1111
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2008

We stayed at the Omni for 2 nights in August.
Overall the stay was OK. The rooms were really big, felt like an apartment, but the location is terrible.
If your in town to work in teh CBD, then fantastic, but if your a tourist, then there is NO point in staying downtown as everything is at least a 5-10 minute drive away and you have to pay for parking.

I found the Omni dated, and felt like something more suitable for the elderly. It was old fashioned and the decor really out-dated.

I wouldn't stay here again. We ended up forgoing out last night's prepaid accommodation and stayed in Beverly Hills, simply for the location.

• Liked — The rooms were really big
  • Disliked — The location and old decor
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple