“Loved The Omni”

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
Ranked #8 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed August 17, 2008

I loved being here. This is a 4 star hotel, and it was a great experience. Everyone was very accomodating.

Our first room had a view of the fountain - unfortunately in the afternoon I smelled cigarette smoke coming up through the air vents - it was not in the hallway, so it was not neighbors.

I phoned the desk and we were immediately moved to another room. That room did not have a great view, and still had a sort of stale cig smell, so we moved again, back to the original floor, but, a corner suite, with fantastic views, and no cigarette smells whatsoever.

From the moment we arrived, Charlie helped us out (make sure you tip everyone btw, bring dollars and fives, or more if you wish), we were treated like royalty.

The maids were super sweet, the receptionists were great, the staff was amazing. Chocoalates and ice came in the afternoon as well as turn down. WiFi (make sure you sign up as a Select Guest on their website so you can get that free).

There's in and out service with the parking system, so you are only charged for parking once a day.

The bathroom is big - separate shower and bath. I asked for extra towels daily from the maid, she did this daily, without us asking which was great. BTW, the maids that we had were wonderful.

One night we were at a restaurant and called for the courtesy car to take us back.

Couldn't be happier! Great place to stay!

Oh and the manager sent us up fruit and an apology about the other two rooms, so we were very very happy.

Almost forgot this, we asked for a refrigerator for some of our personal things, and we had that in the room - no charge.

There was also daily shuttle service to the convention center.

Can you beat that? Nope!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank travelreviewer2000
Write a ReviewReviews (3,962)

Reviewed August 17, 2008

We just got back tonight and I just wanted to tell everybody that this hotel was a great pick for us. I picked the Omni in L.A. after reading the user reviews from tripadvisor and it was right on the money. Our room was on the eighth floor overlooking California Plaza and featured two beds with thick down comforters. The beds was comfortable, the room was quiet and smelled nice. The staff was really friendly. I needed to make change and a staff member went and got her purse and made change for me out of her own money. From the bellman, to the waiter in the cafe, to the front desk clerk everyone went out of their way to make sure our stay was great.

We ate in the cafe for breakfast. It's expensive but the waiter was really nice and professional. the food was outstanding and the coffee tasted excellent.

The view overlooking the plaza gave us great views and on Saturday night we were treated to a concert in the plaza directly below us.

It's walking distance to the Disney Concert Hall and the Museum of contemporary Art and a 2 minute drive to the 110 freeway. We went to the Santa Monica Pier in about 15 minutes and made a trip to Sunset Blvd and West Hollywood one day and a trip to Beverly Hills another day.

We went on a weekend but I expect the area is entirely different during the week. I could see huge traffic problems during the week. Also, It's just minutes from the Staples Center, the jewelry district and the convention center.

I used to work at the Four Seasons Hotel and this hotel reminded me of it, the decor, comfort and staff friendliness. I thought it was a great choice and I highly recommend it to anyone.

Here's my tip. Join the select guest club (free) and get free wireless internet and a view room upgrade for nothing.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank vaj1111
Reviewed August 8, 2008

We stayed at the Omni for 2 nights in August.
Overall the stay was OK. The rooms were really big, felt like an apartment, but the location is terrible.
If your in town to work in teh CBD, then fantastic, but if your a tourist, then there is NO point in staying downtown as everything is at least a 5-10 minute drive away and you have to pay for parking.

I found the Omni dated, and felt like something more suitable for the elderly. It was old fashioned and the decor really out-dated.

I wouldn't stay here again. We ended up forgoing out last night's prepaid accommodation and stayed in Beverly Hills, simply for the location.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mandy5034
Reviewed July 31, 2008

My daughter and I stayed at the Omni at California Plaza. It was close to activities downtown and travel from there to Hollywood and other tourist destinations in the morning was easy since traffic was coming toward downtown. The room was nice and the beds comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful with one exception; our in-room safe was locked when we arrived and no one ever came to reset it for our use during our three night stay despite two requests.
Parking was by valet only and, at $30.00 a day, was too much. The subway was only a couple of blocks away (Persing Square) and that was convinient when we went to Universal Studios. We had a10:00 a.m. flight out and was aftraid traffic would be bad going to the airport. We encountered a slight backup as soon as we got on the freeway but it was clear sailing after that. A welcome surprise. I would stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2008

We spent 3 nights in the Omni LA, it was a great experience, staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast was amazing and the room was comfortable - loved the bed!!!
The only negative aspect was the location, if you are looking for a holiday it is really far away from all the LA attractions (apart from museums and concert hall). Won't come back due the location, but would recommend it for business trips to everyone!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Omni for one night, as part of our trip to San Diego. LA was a good stop over point for us and allowed us to see The American Girl Store in The Grove--about 20 minutes away.

We had stayed at this hotel a few years ago, and liked it then so we rebooked here without a second thought.

Once again, we enjoyed our one night stay here. The staff are very friendly and helpful and make you feel very welcomed. The kids received a welcome goodie bag upon arrival.

Our room was a standard size hotel room. We had plenty of room for our luggage. The room was clean. We had a great view from our floor to ceiling windows of California Plaza. One of the best things about this hotel was how quiet it is. We noticed this during our first stay a few years ago, and again during this stay. We could not hear any neighbors beside or above us.

We ate the buffet breakfast at the hotel. It offered plenty of selection, and while it was not inexpensive, it was quick and helped us to get off to an early start.

All in all, the Omni at California Plaza in Los Angeles is a great hotel, that I highly recommend and look forward to staying in again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I could not fault this hotel. It was fabulous. Excellent location - I did not have a car and was alittle worried that this would be a problem, it wasn't. This hotel was expensive in comparison to other hotels I stayed in on my one month vacation in America, but by LA standards wasn't that bad and you definitely got value for money. The room was luxourious & spotlessly clean, food was great ( I didn't try breakfast though, it was a bit full on and pricey - I'm not a big eater in the morning), they have a well equiped gym ( headphones, towels, water & fruit all provided free of charge), outdoor pool with loungers and the staff could not have been more pleasant. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a vacation in LA.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple