“Excellent base in Downtown L.A.”

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
Ranked #7 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This hotel is not new, having undergone changes in ownership over the years, but shows few signs of age; indeed, it was built when expensive details were the norm in prestige properties. Built before the current boom, it benefits from its now advantageous site on Grand Ave., a main artery downtown, and sits across the street from Disney Concert Hall and the Broad Art Museum (under construction), next door to the Museum of Contemporary Art , and a couple of doors from the Colburn School of performing arts. During the day a city shuttle bus runs past the rear entrance on Grand Ave. connecting various interesting sites.
Staff have been coached in correct behavior and it shows. Reception very cordial, the large corner room on the 7th floor, spruce and sparkling clean. Marble bathroom very large with separate spaces for tub and shower. All the expected amenities, though a grab bar in the shower would be a useful addition. A rare lapse.
There is a town car available for pickup and drop-off on a space available basis. This is a real plus in a city where the streets tend to be empty and a bit forbidding after nightfall. The place might be called homey in a sophisticated way, with thoughtful protocols in place: as a solo woman traveler I was installed in a room only steps from the elevators - no need to wander in the corridors. Stopping by the bar after a performance at the concert hall, I found it appropriate for even a solo traveler. Friendly place, highly recommended.

Room Tip: The hotel is on California Plaza - there are buildings all around but they do not obstruct the view...
2  Thank firstinline
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for the opportunity to serve as your "home away from home". We appreciate your kind remarks, and look forward to having you with us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza

Reviewed March 25, 2013

What an amazing hotel. Service was exceptional, decor and accomodations were solid and our room had an amazing view. Complimentary coffee and pant-pressing service for Omni members. Small but well appointed fitness center. This is the place to stay in the financial district. I would return in a heartbeat. Parking costs a lot and we chose to park offsite for a bit cheaper. Lovely stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Imaglobaltrotter

We appreciate your thoughtful comments. We hope you will have the opportunity to visit again and take in all the sites you mentioned. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed here on business recently. Hotel was convenient to the office I was working out of on South Grande. Also, the room was spacious, comfortable, and clean. Gym was open 24 hours and was crowded at 5:00am with jet-lagged east coasters like me. There was an outdoor lap pool, but it was a little cold outside to use it (low 50's). The hotel is also 1-2 miles from the convention center and Little Japan. Hotel was located right off the CA 110 freeway and just 30 minutes from LAX airport. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Hotel had a French/Asian Fusion restaurant, which came in handy for a late night appetizer, but there were many other food options near the office buildings on South Grande Avenue. If I travel for business out here in the future, I would stay here again.

2  Thank cape171
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for your comments! Our staff appreciates your patronage, and are happy to hear that they will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to Los Angeles.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed here recently for a conference that I was attending. From the moment that I arrived until the moment I departed, the staff were all vry gracious and friendly! The lobby is extremely inviting, with fresh, chilled water, infused with fruit -- strawberries, blackberries, lemons and oranges. My room was also very roomy and the bathroom was large. I signed up for the Omni Frequent Guest program which offered many extras -- free wi-fi, a complimentary morning beverage delivered to my door and a daily newspaper -- all for free! The courtesy car was also a very nice touch -- it would take you anywhere in a 3 mile radius. I flew in to Burbank and took the train to Union Station, which is about a mile away from the Omni. When arriving, I came by cab. When I left, I was able to use the courtesy car. Had I known about the car, I could have had them pick me up at the train station too. Didn't get a chance to use the pool or the fitness center. I ate at Noe and the Grand Cafe, both of which were very good. Housekeeping was very good too -- room was made up on a timely schedule each day. Also received a complimentary housekeeping stop-by each afternoon to be sure that I had everything that I needed, which I thought was a very nice touch. Enjoyed my stay very much!

Room Tip: sign up for the Omni Guest Rewards program -- it takes only a little time and has very good rewards...
3  Thank Christine G
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

We are thrilled that you could experience wonderful Omni service and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Great hotel in downtown LA. Good location. Nice food in the bar/restaurant. Excelent rooms and bathrooms which hace seperate showers.
Very helpful staff.
Free shuttle car to anywhere in a 3 miles radius of hotel. They pick you up as well.
Below the Hotel is an area where they do food for the local office workers, use the rear door during the day, they lock it at night.
Easy to walk into the centre of downtown. [not recommended at night]
China town was a disappointment but we did have a nice Chinese meal. I am told there is an Indian area for your curry..

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John G

We appreciate your kind words and are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return stay!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and have posted other very favorable reviews. I continue to enjoy staying here. The rooms are comfortable and the bathrooms are spacious. I love having a separate shower. I have two complaints. The grout between the tiny tiles on the shower floor is unsightly and needs to be cleaned or replace. Also, the TV reception is absolutely terrible, especially compared to my HD reception at home. It seems it's about time the hotel upgraded it's TV reception to 2013 standards. Other than those two things, I love this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

We appreciate your feedback. In fact, we are currently undergoing a grout replacement in all the guestrooms. We are slowly working up one floor at a time to ensure minimal disruption to our guests. In addition, we will look further into the TV reception issue. Thank you for your constructive comments, and we hope you will return to see our new bathroom grout!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed at the Omni Hotel in Downtown LA with 3 friends. This is hotel is not good for groups or singles, more business type folks since its located in the financial district of LA lol, however, I still enjoyed my stay. We was greeted at the door with professionalism and felt very welcomed. The flavored was also a refresher after a long flight from Phila. Check was less than 5min. Rooms were roomy with plenty of bathroom space (and it was four girls)! Because our hotel was downtown, we party mostly in West Hollywood. We had a rent a car, which is recommended if staying in the downtown area. It took less than 10min to get to Hollywood for the nightlife. Valet parking is pricy but at least it's door to door service. Room service was great and everyone had a nice attitude. I would stay at the Omni again in future vacations!

• Stayed: March 2013