“This Is The Place To Stay In Downtown LA”

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
Ranked #7 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Minneapolis
“This Is The Place To Stay In Downtown LA”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel at least 4 times a year for over 4 years now. The experience is always terrific. Rooms are nicely decorated, very spacious and provide a quiet and comfortable night's sleep. Parking is pricey (as with all LA hotels), but the valets are terrifc as are all staff in this hotel. They really make you feel like a valued guest. The breakfast buffet has a great selection and the servers remember you from visit to visit; like seeing old friends. If you are doing business in downtown LA or visitng USC this is a great choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us! Our valet and restaurant servers will appreciate hearing your feedback on the service they provided. We all look forward to your future visit back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We loved this hotel. My wife and I went to LA so I could attend a convention at the LA Convention Center, and this hotel was fantastic. The check-in experience was great; the front desk staff was very helpful.

The room was beautiful with a nice view of downtown LA, solid furniture, and a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was nice as well with a separate tub and roomy shower.

The highlight of the hotel, however, was the staff. Every employee with whom we came in contact went out of their way to make sure we had a good stay. We were warmly welcomed late on a Friday night, enjoyed delicious meals in the hotel's restaurant, and on my wife's birthday they left her a special surprise in our room.

The Omni was outstanding!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for such generous comments! Our staff will appreciate the feedback you have provided. Thank you for sharing such a special occasion with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Wellesley, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Expensive, but convenient. Valet parking is not optional, and expensive, but much easier than trying to find a spot yourself. Very clean and located not far from easy access to all the popular sights. Friendly staff.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments! We are happy to hear your stay exceeded your expectations. We look forward to your next visit.
New York City
Reviewed February 19, 2013

From the moment I walked in everything about this Omni hotel impressed me. The neighborhood offers many cultural options, and while I was staying for business reasons, the location is fantastic for leisure travelers as well.

I was picked up at Union Station by the hotel's courtesy car, which happened to be available (and which a friendly front desk staff member had suggested), and brought to the hotel already feeling a bit of luxury that I needed after a long trip.

The front staff was phenomenal - professional and offering personal service, to the point that I felt like someone was really watching out for me to be sure I had the best experience at the hotel. My room was beautifully appointed with contemporary and comfortable furniture, beautiful photographs, and the bathroom was wonderful - my room had both a shower and tub.

I stopped by the snack bar and the gentleman working there went out of his way to make sure I had what I needed - and I went back the next day to offer him a well-deserved tip since I had no cash with me the night before. The restaurant staff was also courteous, professional and friendly - very well-trained staff throughout the hotel - and I was especially pleased to find some gluten-free options at the breakfast buffet.

I will definitely stay at this Omni again, and my experience was so good that I immediately signed up for their loyalty program.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Our staff will enjoy hearing that they were able to exceed your expectations. We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and the knowledge that we are meeting our guests' needs. If you find yourself in Los Angeles again, we hope you will remember us.
San Mateo
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed three nights at the Omni in downtown Los Angeles in February 2013. I liked the Omni. It compares closely with the JW Marriott at LA Live, but is less expensive. Also I find downtown LA a more interesting area than around Staples Center. I would rate the hotel at 4 stars.

I had a deluxe king club which is larger than a deluxe king and has access to the 17th floor club lounge. The lounge provides a better than average breakfast than most such hotel facilities, including scrambled eggs and bacon. On Sunday waffles were added to the breakfast menu. The lounge also has free bottled drinks and evening cocktails and light snacks. It was not crowded during my stay.

The Omni provides free internet if you join its Select Guest program. I joined after making my reservation. My internet connection was very good--fast and reliable.

My room was relatively spacious with a comfortable chair and ottoman and a desk. I needed to set the thermostat relatively high to get enough warmth, but once set that worked fairly well. The air discharge is onto the head of the bed and the reading chair. It would be better if it discharged into an area of the room so air coming out is coming right on you or had a deflector to accomplish this. Lighting was ok overall, but was not bright enough for comfortable reading by my standards. I liked having dimmers on lamps, but I wish I could have turned them up brighter. My room was at the end of a corridor and was quiet. The bed was above average in comfort. The robes provided are thin. TV quality was good. Channel selection was fair, but no C-Span.

The bath has the shower over the tub. I had only lukewarm water the first morning, but after reporting the problem I had ample hot water. The design of the sink counter in the bath is such that its base conflicts with where your feet should be when standing in front of the sink.

The hotel should have more elevators. At times there were relatively long waits for the elevators closest to the lobby even when there didn't seem to be any special heavy elevator usage. Most of the time this was not a problem.

I ate one lunch in the cafe and used room service twice. The food quality was good and the prices reasonable. The high end restaurant was fully booked on Saturday night.

Valet parking is $40 Sunday through Thursday and $20 on Friday and Saturday.

The Omni was tight with free newspapers. I got my requested three papers on Friday. Had to follow up to get even one on Saturday. I got none on Sunday. Not a big deal, but irritating.

The hotel is a block from the Disney Concert Hall, next to MOCA, a couple of blocks from the Chandler opera house and Taper and Ahmanson theaters. It's about a block to Angel's Flight. There are quite a few cafes in the neighborhood, most connected with some cultural facility.

All in all I was pleased with the Omni and found its virtues outweigh its shortcomings. I probably will return on future LA visits. I found it good value for my cost except for one night of valet parking at the high rate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We appreciate your thorough feedback on your recent stay with us. We can only improve when we hear from our guests. Your comments will be shared with our managing staff in order to look for ways we can continue to grow our service. We are happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations overall, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Atlanta
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights recently and couldn't be happier with our choice of hotel. We decided to pay a little extra for the club level and it was definitely a good value. We had a complimentary pot of coffee delivered to our room every morning, followed by breakfast in the club room on the 18th floor. In the evenings we had wine, beer or a mixed drink with a variety of snacks in a relaxing atmosphere. We stayed here for a business trip along with my husband's mom and dad who came along on our trip. We were all very comfortable and happy with this hotel, it provided great service and clean rooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank aprilmayl
We appreciate your feedback, and are happy to know that we are exceeding our guests' expectations. We look forward to your next visit.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is a very nice property - rooms are especially nice. Great customer service from everyone I encountered. Used the restaurant for breakfast - quality food and excellent service. Located in a nice neighborhood with the modern art museum right next door.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank russ b
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing about your experience with us! Our restaurant and kitchen staff will be thrilled to hear your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back.