“Unbelievable value”

Ranked #8 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Newark, New Jersey
“Unbelievable value”
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I stayed 1 night in Dec, to take advantage of an unbelievable holiday deal -$109/night. Similar to our experience at other Omni hotels, the room was clean, spacious, & well-appointed and the staff friendly. We were even very pleasantly surprised to have a view of the Disney concert hall. The only con, which I even hesitate to mention, given the low rate, was that the windows were very spotty (exterior side), diminishing the view.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
calif
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights for the Rose Bowl game. The hotel was clean (public areas and our room), staff was friendly and efficient. We chose a larger room and the additional living area space worked well for us. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New Mexico
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stay here several times a year while I attend music and theater events at nearly Music Center. Best location; just steps from venues and restaurants. First class hotel downtown with all amenities. Nice pool, fitness room, restaurants.
Omni has good loyalty program. Lots of extras. They leave newspaper at your door, except papers seem to disappear on Sunday mornings. I usually have to call down for one and sometimes they've run out.
Staff is most courteous and respectful of guests.
Wish they had small fridges in all rooms.
As with all hotels, rates are variable based on demand, sometimes pricey. They often fill up, so I book as soon as I know when I'm coming, then watch for rate decreases.
I always hope Arman is at front desk when I check in. He's most professional, knowledgable and welcoming. Understands excellent service requires good listening skills plus follow-through when dealing with guests. He seems to remember all returnees and their special requests.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles CA
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I just enjoyed a 2 day post-Xmas staycation here, and was able to explore and/or rediscover the downtown area of my hometown, which has had a bit of a resurgence of late. I selected this hotel based on TA reviews (it's the highest rated downtown LA hotel); other hotels I considered were the Millennium Biltmore (historic building), the Standard (funky, youth-skewed), and the Bonaventure (iconic building). The Ritz Carlton at LA Live, where I have stayed before, was a bit too far south for the purposes of this staycation.

The Omni is situated towards the top of Bunker Hill and is part of the California Plaza complex that includes the Water Court shops and dining venues, a very tall office building, some residential towers, the top of Angels Flight funicular, and the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA). The hotel is the most convenient hotel for visiting MOCA, the Frank Gehry-designed Walt Disney Concert Hall (which also houses Patina Restaurant), and the Music Center (Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Mark Taper Forum, Ahmanson theatre). Most of the eateries in the Water Court are geared towards the lunchtime office crowd, with no waiter service, and close before dinnertime. I would recommend Mendocino Farms for artisanal sandwiches and salads. More formal, renowned restaurants are south down the hill. Bunker Hill on some streets can be steep--one can sometimes discover ways to negotiate the Hill more easily, such as using the escalators at the Wells Fargo Center across the street. Eastern downtown, towards Japan town and south, has become a hot location for new well-regarded restaurants. I would consider some areas still rather gritty.

I made my hotel reservation online, and also joined the Omni's Select Guest program, which entitles you most beneficially to free Wifi (usually only free in the lobby), and a free morning beverage delivered to your room. One can also purchase vouchers for the breakfast buffet online as well, at a discounted rate. One is also given the option of checking in online the day before your arrival, where you note your estimated time of arrival and your room key is put on a board next to the reception desk. I did this, but arrived before my scheduled arrival time, so I went to the front desk anyway. The gentleman there was quite friendly and accommodating, noting my room requests (I asked for MOCA and Disney Hall views) and switching my room 3 times to get the best view available. I was also given a voucher for my pre-purchased breakfast buffet and morning beverage selection cards. The hotel has a 2 Club Level floors and a Club Lounge, but I did not select them. The lobby has a nice refreshment area that had hot cider and mixed berry water (and sometimes cookies) throughout the day. There is a small business center off the lobby.
The restaurants are on the 3rd floor. The Grand Cafe serves breakfast and lunch, while Noe Restaurant and Lounge serves dinner. The Cafe's breakfast buffet (there is also an a la carte menu) was fine, with good quality selections but not a huge variety, and little variation from day to day. The 4th floor has a decent-sized fitness center, a small outdoor pool (no hot tub), and a small spa.
The room was also a decent size, with a window that opened and protruded a bit to allow for full 180 degree views. The bathroom had a separate shower and tub. My only quibble was the closet safe that was situated on a very high shelf--I had to use a chair as a step stool.

Valet parking, really the only parking available onsite, is a steep $40 weekdays, $20 weekends. Knowing I would be walking everywhere, I chose to park at Union Station ($6 a day) and took the Red Line to Pershing Square ($1.50 one way). It's a bit of an uphill climb from the exit on 4th St. to the hotel. The hotel has a house car (first come, first served), but I did not use it.

I was quite satisfied with my hotel selection for this staycation. I visited the other hotels I had been considering and am glad I chose the Omni. The Biltmore, about a block south of the Omni, has beautiful, historic public rooms and spaces, but I'm not sure this beauty extends to the guest rooms. The Standard was a bit too hip for me, with a new ping pong club/lounge (SpinLA, owned in part by Susan Sarandon) and rooftop pool/lounge that made an appearance on the show "Entourage" a few years ago. The Bonaventure certainly has a unique design, but seemed very large and impersonal. I may try these hotels someday, but the Omni was the right choice for this stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank pillowsofwanderlust
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family and I were guests at Omni in Los Angeles from dec 28 to dec 31. This is my first time writing a review here and I was motivated to do so to share my recent stay at Omni and to detail what 'first-class' staff they have at this hotel. We had some issues with getting morning beverages on time for the first 2 days of our stay. On the first day, when we did not receive morning beverages on time, I called in-room dining and they delivered our beverages after 10 minutes or so. However, when the same incident repeated again on the 2nd day, we were very puzzled and became upset. We ordered morning drinks and some bagels to be delivered around 8 am because we were supposed to be picked up for a city tour that morning at 8:30am. However, it was past 8 am and there were no drinks or bagels we had ordered. My wife, in particular, was concerned that our kids may miss breakfast and not able to eat anything until after the tour is over which would be around 1:30 pm. Once again, we made a call to 'in-room' dining around 8:10am and the person who answered, told me that he could not find our order. He said the beverages must be 'on their way'. I told him we were supposed to leave soon and i asked him if the beverages could be delivered in the next 5- 10 minutes. He then said, 'Yes, the drink's should be up soon'. We again waited until around 8:20 am but could not wait longer and risk missing the tour. Therefore, we left our room and proceeded to the lobby. There, I saw a gentleman (he seemed like the manager but i did not get the name) behind the front desk and i explained to him about the situation. At this time, we were expecting a short apology with a normal 'party-line' such as 'I will find out what happened and will make sure it won't happen again'. However, his response was beyond what we had anticipated; he apologized to us and seemed very sincere. Furthermore, he understood the urgency since we had to get on the tour bus right away. He instructed us to go to the store located on the third floor which sells drinks and morning pastries and snacks and told us to pick out whatever we like and he will take care of the charges. He then offered to go outside to hold our tour bus for us. This was totally unexpected and made us think 'Wow'.

After we returned from our city tour in that afternoon, the lady manager ? (once again, i did not get her name but she was Asian), sincerely apologized to us for the morning mishap. When we got to our room, there was an envelope with a short letter from 'Assistant Front Desk Manager' with free Brunch buffet tickets. My wife and I both said, 'this hotel sure knows how to make up things and truly care about its guests'. However, it was our last day there and we were scheduled to leave early in the morning next day so we could not have used those free vouchers. So I went the front lobby to return the vouchers and told the female manager, 'Thank you for your kind gesture but since we have to leave early tomorrow, we can 't use these vouchers'. She then responded by saying, 'I'm sorry to hear that but we can have breakfast delivered to your room for you and your family'. To summarize what happened next, we ended up having free 'breakfast' delivered to our room which our family enjoyed very much and able to leave early enough to get to the airport. Not only that, we were 'comped' for 'daily parking fees' for our stay.

This whole incident could have easily left a 'bad taste' in our mouths and could have made us think twice about staying at 'OMNI' hotels on our future trips. However, how the staff responded to this incident made us believe that OMNI is a first class hotel chain. The staff at OMNI Los Angeles made us feel that OMNI cares about its guests as, not just customers who are coming through the 'revolving door', but as guests that they truly want to serve in their smallest needs. I understand that 'mistakes' are inevitable but how their staff handled this simple 'gaffe' was truly amazing.

Once again, I want to thank them for making us feel like 'we were treated right' and going above and beyond to remedy what would have been an unpleasant part of our stay at OMNI.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you kindly for completing our guest survey, and providing feedback of your recent stay at the Omni on TripAdvisor! Our associates will be so thrilled to hear that they were able to help make your stay so exceptional. We apologize for the discrepancies in service and will address them with the appropriate department head. We look forward to your next visit to Los Angeles, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our family stayed Dec 28-30 as part of trip to California.
We stayed downtown Los Angeles for convenient location to La Brea tar pits, LACMA, Science Center, and historic part of downtown. We were able to walk to Nickel Diner, Bradbury House(Bladerunner) and Angel Knoll park (500 days summer.) We liked being close to Little Tokyo for sushi.
The hotel was modern, clean, comfortable and the service was very good. However 3 of 4 elevators were broken and using the stairs was not an option. Very slow getting from lobby to room. The hotel advised guests to use service elevators and that was very cool as we got to see the inner workings of the hotel and this really minimized the delays. The parking was reasonable on the weekend at $20 daily.
The wifi is free every day if you join Omni Select (free membership) the fitness center was adequate with snacks. The hotel did provide free bottled water in our room each day. The bathroom had both a separate shower and tub and a very nice.
I would highly recommend this hotel if staying downtown LA. We will stay here again as we really liked the hotel, service and location.

Room Tip: We had a north west facing room and could see the plaza below as well as the Hollywood Sign.