“Not the greatest hotel experience.”

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
Ranked #8 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Vail, CO
“Not the greatest hotel experience.”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This hotel seems nice when you first walk into the lobby. The check-in process was efficient, and the agents at the front desk couldn't have been nicer. Then we got to the room, and realized the hotel is just.....not really that nice. The double/full size beds were so soft and pillows were so worn out and thin that I woke up with a sore neck and back the next day. The water pressure in the shower was a joke. The restaurant wasn't serving their normal menu when we got down to it (8:30pm on a Sunday), just some terrible-sounding "meatloaf n mashies" family-style deal. The only way we found that out was by reading a chalkboard, because there wasn't anyone there to greet us. After waiting for about three minutes, we walked out to talk to the concierge about other restaurants in the area, and got a reply of "Hmmm, well, ya know, almost everything will be closed, except this 20th floor sushi restaurant on top of an office building about 20 blocks away." We bailed on that idea, walked about 4 blocks west to discover that restaurants do actually still serve meals at 9pm in downtown LA (imagine that, largest city in CA and all!).
So, overall, not impressed with the place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank tennisfanVail_CO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Almaty, Kazakhstan
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Good hotel, pretty close to all major business offices and convention center. Absolutely adequate for business travellers in downtown LA.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This hotel was perfect for my 6 day trip and the whole hotel just smells so good!, I loved my Club room on 16th floor, loved the breakfast and evening cocktails served in the Club room and loved the flavoured water in the lobby.

I was travelling alone but visiting friends, originally I was a little worried that the location would be too far out for me as I was mainly in the Beverly Hills/West Hollywood area however it was fine. I had a car and the times I was travelling I experienced no traffic. It did not feel like an effort or too out the way at all.

The room, bed, bathroom, and service were all perfect I have not a bad word to say. The wifi is free if you signed up to the select guest program which I recommend as its free to do so! Otherwise I think it is $15 per day. The valet parking is a little steep at $30 per night but I think that is pretty much the same for most LA hotels.

It was a fantastic trip, great value for money and I would definitely stay again on future trips.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank CamLovesSun
Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This hotel is located in the Downtown Financial District which may be a great location for business travellors, but for family stays it is not ideal, especially considering that the majority of the food outlets in the surrounding neighbourhood close at 4pm, so choices for dinner are very limited. Please beware it is some distance from the airport - about 45 minute taxi ride with a flat fee of $46.50 plus tip, and the local transport is just average. From the outside the hotel has little presence, on the other hand the entrance foyer is very impressive with lots of fresh flowers and complimentray iced water coolers a nice touch. The Reception staff were great, the front door / valet staff were ok, and the cleaning staff were very friendly. We are a Select Gold Level Members and on the two seperate occasions we stayed here in June and July this was not recognised by the hotel's computer system / staff, but was somewhat corrected when this was brought to their attention. Rooms are well appointed and proportioned for our family of 4. The double queen rooms and bathrooms were great, being very clean and nicely fitted out and the beds were some of the best hotel beds I've slept on. Staff were also very willing to store our bags before our late flight out which we really appreaciated.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Aussietez
Ventura, CA
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Stayed at the Omni Los Angeles this past weekend, and it was amazing. Our room wasn't ready when we got there at 2:30, but we walked next door to the MOCA and entertained ourselves for an hour until they called us. Our luggage was stored at the front desk, and then later sent to the room. Had a corner room...so nice! Beautifully appointed, huge bathroom, soothing decor, and comfy beds to die for! Got a taxi (the hotel towncar was busy) to a nearby restaurant (Drago's...yum!) for dinner, and then a shuttle from the restaurant to the Ahmanson to see Les Mis. ( Many of the nearby hotels offer shuttle service to the theaters) After the show, we noticed that there wasn't a taxi stand nearby, so we called the hotel, and they sent the towncar to pick us up. I had mentioned that it was my birthday, and when we got back to the hotel around 11:30p.m., we found that in addition to a lovely turndown service, someone had delivered a "Happy Birthday" mini raspberry cheesecake..what a treat! Morning beverage service was right on time, and we were given a late check out of 1pm. Did not use the pool, but it looked wonderful. Breakfast at the cafe was good, and on the weekends, valet parking is only $20. All in all, a wonderful experience...thank you, I'll be back!

Room Tip: Corner room was amazing
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
We are delighted to hear that you had a magnificent birthday stay. We look forward to having you with us again next year!
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Currently on my penultimate day at this hotel of a 4 night stay (waiting for a conference call to start and thought I would right a review).

This is a fantastic hotel right in the middle of downtown LA and certainly lives up to its 4 star rating and most certainly not a 4 star price for the location. I am a solo traveller, I started my LA visit in long beach for a conference and did not want to rent a car during my stay downtown as I hate driving in other countries particularly when own my own without a local guide.

The hotel itself is very clean, rooms have all the required amenities;

- descent wireless - free if you join their reward scheme (which is also free and can be done when your there)

- in room safe - which is fundamental for any international traveller but very few hotel in LA seem to have them

- a proper power shower (not a stupid bath/shower low power thing), a bath as well

- maybe I was on a "quiet floor" but I never heard any noise from the adjoining rooms or hallway.

- high taste/standard of food in the restaurant

- Starbucks in the hotel on the 3rd floor, which is always good

- All the staff are super friendly and very polite - from the reception, concierge to cleaning crew.

The hotel and surrounding area feels very safe at night with a high visibility of security staff - not sure if these are hotel security or from the california plaza in which the hotel is located. Some eateries located on the plaza just outside the hotel, during the weekend there was some live bands in the plaza which was great and quite a diverse sound on each of the nights. Also the angels flights which is pretty impressive is located on the plaza and worth checking out - particularly if you have read the book by Michael Connelly. One of the friendly staff pointed out the bench from 500 days of summer which is visible from the hotel ( haven't seen the movie so I don't know if this is a big deal or not)

Walt disney concert hall is visible from all rooms on one side of the hotel (2 min walk) and the museum of contemporary art is just outside the hotel plaza entrance - worth checking out even if you are not an art guru.

This hotel is a 2 minute walk from the civic centre metro (red line) - which is a great way to check out many of the sites without a car - which is not required. I was staying at the Hilton Long Beach for a week before this - good hotel too - but does not rate against this.

Room Tip: Im on the 8th floor - pretty quiet. But you want to get a room facing the Disney Concert Hall
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Sydney Australia
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My husband, 13 year old son and I stayed here just a few days ago. I understand that it was recently renovated and it is really lovely. The service here is exceptional - from the ground floor staff to the concierge and others in the Club level lounge to the servers in the Grand Cafe.

We were told that the downtown area has improved markedly over the past 5 years. The hotel's proximity to LA Live, the Staples Center, the Disney Concert hall and its next door neighbor, the Museum of Contemporary Art, make it a desireable property. And the fact that it offers a free car service within 3 miles is a real bonus.

We stayed on a Club level because it seemed to be great value for money and it turned out to be so. The room and bathroom were very spacious and the bed extremely comfortable. The breakfast at the Club lounge was delicious and more than sufficient and even offered hot food - the french toast was perfect as were the pancakes. The Club lounge was a lovely place to just sit and read the paper in the morning or have a drink in the afternoon. We loved it!

The fitness center is an adequate size and had equipment that I like to use. There are elliptical machines, bikes, recumbent bikes and treadmills as well as weight machines and free weights. I would have liked a rowing machine, but I get the sense that rowing machines are not that popular these days in general, so I wasn't entirely surprised or disappointed that there wasn't one there. The one thing that it lacked that I really wished it had was a bigger area for stretching, but everything else made up for this.The pool also isn't enormous, but is a very good size and enjoyable to sit around.

Overall, it is a really wonderful property, especially if you have a car so that you can get to places like Hollywood, West Hollywood and Beverly Hills. But, there is a lot to do here as well, as Sunday, the Club Lounge concierge so helpfully pointed out. She also recommended many restaurants near by and we went to El Cholo. Her enthusiasm for the area around the hotel was truly infectious.

If you are in LA between May and October, I would highly recommend El Cholo's Green Corn Tamales. I am still dreaming about them, they are to die for!! Thanks Sunday!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family