“a fantastic hotel experience”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills
Ranked #39 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Our stay was a wonderful surprise. The Palomar is located in a wonderful area just adjacent to Beverly Hills with easy access to many of the areas finest restaurants, shopping, and to the beautiful campus of UCLA. On our arrival, we were met by an enthusiastic and extremely courteous staff that offered us incredible service with smiles and efficiency that we have not seen in years. The hotel is very modern, spotless, and elegant. The lobby, elevators, restaurants, bars, and even hallways are decorated in a splash of vibrant colors and textures that make the entire hotel both sophisticated and stylish. Our room was standard size but decorated in modern decor with new and elegant appearing lamps and furniture and sporting a beautiful bathroom with with high end toiletries. The mattresses were incredibly supportive (as if they were new), the rugs thick and clean, the television was large (a 40 inch lcd), and the room even had a wonderful ipod adapted clock radio. Internet service was fast and complimentary.
For the service and amenities offered by the Palomar Hotel, one could not do any better even if they chose to stay at a hotel at twice the cost. My husband and I have stayed in many fine hotels over the years; the Palomar ranks among the best we have experienced .
M.L. Turken
Boulder, Colorado

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2010

Thank you for sharing comments about your recent experience while staying with us! It is very rewarding for our team when we succeed in creating a memorable experiences for our guests and we hope to have an opportunity to do it again for you in the near future!

Have a wonderful week!

Albert Smith

Write a ReviewReviews (1,718)

Reviewed June 4, 2010

In general the hotel is very impressive and is clean and stylish throughout. One glaring omission was the condition of our toilet. When Eric the bellhop took us to our room he noted the toilet was making a strange noise and suggested we call the hotel engineer to have a look at it. I told him we would when we left for dinner since before that we would use the bathroom to get ready. This was the first opportunity for your hotel staff to rectify the situation. Eric could have moved us to a new room immediately since we hadn't unpacked yet. He did not make the offer. We subsequently discovered that the toilet was not working at all. When we returned to the room (after the engineer supposedly fixed the toilet) that night with two friends the toilet worked sporadically, but at least after several attempts the toilet always flushed. The next morning the toilet broke again this time permanently and AFTER I had already used it. My girlfriend and I had to use the shower with the toilet smelling and the toilets in the lobby downstairs before going out for the day. The front desk said they would send up the engineer again to fix it this time. I inquired about packing up our stuff and moving to another room but the person at the front desk insisted we try fixing it again. This was the second opportunity for someone at the hotel to adequately deal with the problem. When my girlfriend and I came back to the room again that afternoon I tested the toilet one time before using it so I would not be subjected to the humiliation of using the toilet only to have it not work for a second time. It only flushed once and then stopped working. This was the THIRD time that our toilet had broken after being looked at by the engineer TWICE. I spoke to the manager on duty and requested a room change which at that point was granted. It was the THIRD time before my request to change room was granted. We had already been in the room 24 hrs and had to re-pack our things that by this time were in various places around the room. I was the one who booked this hotel and vouched for its status as a "luxury boutique hotel" and quite frankly I was very embarrassed. A working toilet is hardly a luxury. I just signed up to be an In touch member with every intention of staying at Kimpton Hotels in the future but this horrible experience and the chronic lack of anyone with the ability to deal with it immediately would be enough to ensure I never stay at another. Do not stay at this hotel if using a working toilet is something you expect for 175 dollars a night.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
11  Thank KARZRKEWL

Dear guest, you highlighted our failure to take ownership of the issues you brought to our attention as well as our lack of meaningful follow up. I am more than sorry this occurred during your visit and will address the aforementioned issues personally with my team.

I hope to have an opportunity to speak with you and further hope to be able to restore your faith in our hotel and the great service we normally provide.

Albert Smith

Reviewed May 23, 2010

We stayed on 2 occasions during our recent trip for a total of 5 nights and were very happy with our choice which was based on other traveller reviews. The bell staff were friendly, the concierge and reception staff helpful. We had a city view room looking out to the ocean in the distance - pretty night lights. The room size including the bathroom was good for the 3 of us. We usually avoid hotel restaurants but Blvd 16 was very good = very impressed with the service too. Wine reception nice touch (hubby would have liked beer!). Swam in the pool - cool patio area with outdoor fire. Good location a few blocks from Westwood Village - shops, cafes/restaurants (try Tanini - nice italian), cinemas. Easy bus to Santa Monica where we had a great day on hired bicycles.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2010

Travelled recently with some colleages on business and I picked the hotel based on Trip Advisor recommendations. Hotel was certainly nice enough although I expected the room to be somewhat larger. We arrived late and the only dining option was the late night menu. That menu leaves a lot to be desired but it sounds like the hotel is aware of it and will be addressing that issue shortly. Staff was pleasant and professional, bed was comfortable and the bathroom was bright and adequate. In room amenities like the coffee and robes are a nice touch.
Breakfast in the hotel at BLVD 16 was a highlight; nice room, nice staff and delicious food. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Chamho, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2010

Thank you so much for the honest feedback about your recent stay with us. I was delighted to learn you enjoyed your accommodations as well as breakfast in BLVD.16. You mentioned working on our late night menu and we are most certainly in the process of making improvements!

We have recently opened for lunch and feature some of the most amazing sandwiches made from local/sustainable ingredients...hopefully you'll have occasion to visit us again soon!

If I can help in any way with future reservations please feel free to contact me directly!

All the best,

Albert Smith 424-901-7261

Reviewed May 19, 2010

I had a great stay, I was able to check in early and I had a king suite which was on the corner so I had no problems with noisy neighbors. The Room including the bathroom was huge! The staff was excellent and very efficient. Will stay here again without a second thought.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo

It is truly wonderful when we learn our guests thoroughly enjoyed their experience at our wonder hotel! Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience and I will be sure to share your feedback with our employees.

We hope to see you again soon and please be sure to sign up (if you haven't already) to our Kimpton In-Touch program so we can recognize you as family at all 50 of our awesome boutique hotels!

All the best,

Albert

Reviewed May 18, 2010

As a business traveler I favor boutique hotels, and in particular Kimptons, for high level of personal service and comfortable accommodations (lots of easy accessible outlets - business hotels, take note). The Palomar for the most part hits all the right notes, starting with attentive front desk - check in was a breeze, and the room quiet and clean. Only surprise was the morning yoga class - felt a bit like a bait & switch as the instructor was dropping subtle hints that her real job is private training celebrities. Go for a walk in Westwood instead.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2010

We spent a week at the Palomar with our daughters while visiting our son at UCLA. We have stayed there several times since August, 2008 when we attended the UCLA orientation. Many members of the valet/bell and restaurant staff have remained the same. They appear to enjoy their work, and are a very pleasant group of people. We did have to wait several hours to check in due to limited availability of the adjoining rooms we had requested, and were given complimentary continental breakfast coupons for our stay by the personable desk clerk. The location is excellent and convenient to anywhere in LA. There are many nice touches in the lobby. We had the opportunity to see the President's Motorcade pass in front of the hotel one morning which was completely unexpected.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
The Beverly Hilton
The Beverly Hilton
#8 of 15 in Beverly Hills
InterContinental Los Angeles Century City

Been to Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!