“Best. Service. Ever.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best. Service. Ever.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2010

Delightful hotel in convenient Westwood location on Wilshire. Giant soaking tub in the "spa rooms" was great.

The most important reason I'll be back, though, is the staff.
1. The front desk was really and sincerely warm and welcoming. They even remembered my name the next evening when I stopped by ask a question (and that's BEFORE I ran into car trouble).
2. My car's battery died in the Palomar garage the third night I was there (hybrids park for free), and the manager took over, handling the problem (which, with a hybrid, is not as simple as a basic jump) and even paying my cab fare out to the restaurant where I was heading. Really above-and-beyond service, provided with professionalism and a positive attitude. I travel a lot, stay in chains with great staff (Starwood, Hyatt and Hilton), and this is the the most truly hospitable and professional staffs I've ever encountered. The Palomar is my new go-to hotel when I work in LA.

Also, if you join the frequent-stayer club (free) then wireless internet access is not only free, but almost seamless. A small thing, but very nice.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Chamho, General Manger at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, February 1, 2010
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience while staying at the Hotel Palomar! We pride ourselves on connecting with our guests and making memorable experiences, even in the face of adversity; your review suggests success in this endeavor!

We look forward to hosting your next visit to Los Angeles and I welcome you to contact me directly at anytime for any assistance you may need.

Best Regards...Albert Smith (424-901-7261)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Korean first
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

I booked a reservation at Hotel Palomar because of the reviews listed here on Trip Advisor. To say the least, Hotel Palomar proved to be everything I thought it would be. I did not get a chance to enjoy the wine reception because of other activities in Los Angeles but everything else in the hotel was immaculate. The bathrooms are beautiful; the beds are very comfortable. I will definitely stay here again. They even accommodated my early check-in request and allowed me to check in two hours early. Thank you Hotel Palomar for a wonderful visit and making my first trip to Los Angeles exactly what I wanted.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
I am so delighted you enjoyed our beautiful hotel and had your pre-arrival requests honored! We work at the nuance and understand it makes a tremendous difference for our discerning guests.

We hope to continue to host your future visits and thank you again for staying with us!

Warm Regards,

Albert Smith
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

The Palomar Hotel has so much going for it. Stylish lobby, outstanding Westside location, close to the 405 for easy "on and off" to areas north and south, and Santa Monica, as well as Beverly Hills and West Hollywood hot spots.

The rooms are typically Kimpton: super stylish, decent size and with comfortable beds, cotton bedsheets and nice towels. That said, there was some plumbing noise from the bathroom above us, which we could hear occasionally in our room. Nothing major, just something that happens with an older building that's been remodeled into a hotel, that's all.

Everyone on the staff is attractive, friendly and helpful. However, upon checking in, the front desk gave our bellman the wrong room number. So, we traipsed from room-to-room, floor-to-floor, with several phone calls to the front desk in between, before we got to the correct room! Then, the bellman had to return to the lobby to get us another doorkey, as the electronic coding on the one we had had, for security purposes, been erased. Small annoyance, but obviously the hotel staff needs a bit more training... Another staff problem ocurred with room service, which took forever. After a total of three calls, we finally got our order, but only 3/4 of it was correct! So, we had to wait again, while the staff member went downstairs to retrieve the rest of our order.

The elevators are not the fastest of hotel elevators and the cabs are done-up in "mod" nightclub fashion, dark, back-lit a deep red (day and night!) so that once the elevator door closes, one can hardly see anything inside the cab. A bit too trendy for my tastes.

Boulevard 16 is the restaurant on the Lobby level of the hotel. The food is outstanding! We had dinner on two occasions and five breakfasts. We did not have one complaint! Not only was the food absolutely delicious (freshly squeezed real orange juice, for example, in the morning,) in the evening, the dinner items were amazingly inventive and combined interesting and exotic ingredients (for example: yuzu, truffle oil, vanilla bean and goat cheese, in a fresh persimmon, hazelnut salad!) For the quality of the food and service (and the service in the restaurant was highly professional and polished at breakfast and dinner) the prices were reasonable for LA.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Palomar Hotel. If they could get their room service and bellmen acts together, I'd give them, five stars across the board.

Santa Barbara
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

My wife and I stayed here based upon the rave reviews on Trip Advisor. The room was beautifully furnished, had very comfortable beds, and above all was very quiet in response to our request. Service from all the employees was friendly and natural - no attitudes. We will definitely stay there the next time in LA.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2010

I couldn't have been more impressed with my stay here...too many times there's a plastic feel to the hospitality one receives at hotels when traveling on business. The "my pleasure to connect you" and other tired phrases feel--and usually are--fake. Here, though, everybody I met there seemed to be good at their job and having fun doing it. We made use of their courtesy car several times and our driver was gracious and knowledgeable. The restaurant food was reliable and creative , the bartender was spot-on, and the front desk staff gamely fought through some weird glitch in their room-key system without getting rattled or rude.

I think the people made the difference here. However, the rooms do deserve a mention. Are they huge? Nope. But they're stylish and immaculately clean. My bed was comfortable and the bathroom was quite nice.

This was a hotel we chose on a recommendation and I'm extending that recommendation as one of my own here. Kudos to the staff.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2010

Kimpton used to buy interesting, older buildings and rehab them. However, with their rapid growth the past few years they've clearly lost that vision and, in Los Angeles, rehabbed a 70's-era Communist-looking building in a decent location with rooms smaller than most in New York City. That's "the story" this hotel tells...which isn't much.

In my opinion, just a bad business decision. I'm sure they also want to create a "hot scene" around the dreary pool squeezed between 2 buildings. Again, not inviting. As many have noted, the AC system is old and dusty. The room is nicely decorated but can't make up for the small size especially if you get a double room. But It's Los Angeles! One of the most expansive cities in our country. We ended up leaving two nights early and headed to the London.

I hope they halt their agressive expansion and return to their roots. Otherwise, same old, same old.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank herculepoirot
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

We stayed on Christmas night after flying to LAX from NYC. Service was excellent all around and the property is attractive and new. We had been offered a $40 email upgrade to a spa suite. The suite was exceptional with a separate bedroom, two flat screens and a luxurious bath. Breakfast was delicious; get the Huevos Chilaquiles. Although it was chilly in LA, the outdoor pool was heated to a reasonable temp and my youngest daughter and I took a dip. No complaints at all; this was a really great choice for our stay...

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Chamho, General Manger at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, January 12, 2010
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us! I am delighted you and your family had an opportunity to enjoy our Spa Suite as well as the pool during your recent visit.

If I can help in anyway procure your next visit to Los Angeles, please feel free to contact me directly (424)-901-7261

Warm Regards,