Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills
Ranked #35 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 1, 2009

Hotel was very nice and in a good location. Two small complaints, but overall I'd stay there again. The first complaint was the pool. It's small and at the back of the hotel. Seating is limited and so are the towels. The pool is in the shade of the hotel all afternoon (and perhaps morning, we only went in the afternoon). The seating is in the sun for part of the afternoon, but it was hard to find a seat and the pool was cold - had it been in the sun it might have been warmer. The second complaint, was the actual size of the room. My husband worked at the desk on his computer checking email and such and the back of the chair almost hit our king size bed. If he was sitting down, I couldn't negotiate to the other side of the room without climbing over the bed - not what I expect at a Kimpton hotel. Other than that the hotel was nice. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank lcohn
Palomar-LA-Westwood, Management at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2009

Dear Icohn,

Thank you for your kind comments of our staff and taking a moment to share your thoughts on our property. We are fortunate to be nestled between Beverly Hills, Santa Monica and Westwood Village! On your next visit to the Los Angeles area you may want to check on our specials for our Spa Suite. The amenities and size I’m sure will be to your liking!

We hope to see you soon!

Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,743)

Reviewed July 1, 2009

I read up on tripadvisor and did my research and was able to book a low rate a few months ago. When i was able to find a lower rate I contacted the manager Stephen and he was able to provide a price match for the lower rate. Stephen was very helpful with my reservation, I appreciated his attentiveness!

We arrive around 2pm saturday and score a perfect parking spot right in front of the hotel, so we dont have to pay the $32 for valet parking!

We go to our room which winds up being #1618 and its next to the ice machine and very close to the elevator. Try to ask for a room away from the elevators, as the "ding ding" noise when it stops on the floor is loud enough to hear in the room. It woke me up a couple of times and i thought it was an alien spaceship lol.

Wine hour was not in the lobby/living room like all the other kimpton properties I have patroned, but instead in the restaurant. So we enter and head to grab some Sangria and then the guy serving snobbishly asks us for our room keys! I pull it out and show him and he pours us some Sangria. Lo and behold, as more guests arrive, NONE of them are asked for their room key. I'd hate to think it was due to our age or our race, but LA is known to be snobby and stuck up, and I could expect this at Les Deux but not at a hotel!

Restaurant had a happy hour for appetizers so we ordered some sliders and calimari, which were both very good. I would try a meal at the Blvd 16 restaurant if we come back.

Checked out the pool area and its really small, so dont have high expectations coming in.
Room was pretty nice, TV had lots of channels, was able to catch a boxing match on HBO and the nba playoff game. The View was nice, we were on 16th floor so you could see a ways a way.

Only 2 minor issues in that it took a week or so for the difference in the lower rate to be applied to my credit card and a few days after check out I checked my statement and I had been billed for something from the bar. We did not take anything from the honor bar, and so had to call the property. Josue said he would take away the charge, but 2 weeks later, it was still there, so I had to call accounting and leave a voicemail, which has yet to be returned. Hopefully it will get taken care of shortly.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Palomar-LA-Westwood, Management at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2009

Dear Umailop,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us at the Palomar Los Angeles. I am happy to read that I was able to be of service to you as it is always a pleasure to assist with our guest requests! I will be sure to pass along your compliments to the Chef and staff at Blvd 16, their appetizers are great! We were pleased to read you enjoyed the views and amenities in the room, that 42’ LCD comes in handy for our avid sports fans or movie lovers. In addition, I have spoken with our accounting department and all is taken care of with regard to your billing however, if you should need additional assistance, as always, please let me know.

Thanks again for choosing the Palomar LA and we hope to see you soon. If I may be of further assistance please email me directly at sbohjalian@hotelpalomar.com or call me at 424-901-7262.

Managment

Reviewed June 28, 2009

My husband & I attended the Independent Film Festival, in Westwood, this past week & stayed at the Palomar for 2 separate nights. The location could not have been better plus this property is modern & what I would call hip, with room service & they even allow dogs-a new trend in hotels.

The pluses:

Very comfortable beds. This is a big thing for us as we have a Temperpedic bed at home & always miss our bed when staying away. Not here!
Big, flat screen t.v.'s. (2 in a suite)
Room Service that was faster than the time quoted.
Lots of little details that make a hotel with a difference such as; everything that you forgot they have it, at Guest Services. For instance: I cut myself & they sent a bandaid & antiseptic ointment on the double!
Suites have awesome spa tubs big enough for two & great bathrooms!

The Minuses:
Room service Breakfast: it was quick but was not prepared as we had asked it to be (plus it was $77.00) & was just ok. We travel allot & find most hotels have this problem. So, it was no different here. Great chefs refuse to cook room service breakfast or any other kind of breakfast it seems. Your better off eating downstairs, where you can ask for something you didn't get etc, or out.
On our second nights stay we were upgraded to a suite, as the hotel was almost fully booked. Zero complaint there! The bathroom was huge with a spa tub. I loved it!! But, the air conditioning didn't work in either in the sitting room or bedroom, so we had to call the hotel "engineer." That's a minor complaint as it was fixed quickly & efficiently. But, like most who travel, we appreciate a super clean room with everything in working order before we arrive. No one wants a service person in their room when they are relaxing & a hotel, that's on the ball, should routinely check all the room equipment, plumbing etc. before the room is "turned over" I feel.

All in all, the hotel was very nice & we really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Palomar-LA-Westwood, Management at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2009

Dear Married&InLove,

We are so glad that your short trip from Laguna Hills landed you at the Palomar Los Angeles! This time of year is always exciting with the L.A. Film Festival and their premiers going on in Westwood Village. As you mentioned our Spa Suites are a treat and we are always happy to upgrade our guests when available. I do apologize for the challenges with the Air Conditioning and will be sure to follow up with appropriate team.

Thank you again for all your wonderful feedback to our friends at TripAdvisor. We look forward to seeing you next year for the L.A. Film Festival, if not sooner!

Reviewed June 25, 2009

We booked this hotel via Hotwire through the mystery hotel option (for a really great rate) and after reading some of the reviews on this site I was a little worried about staying there but I shouldn't have worried. Hotel Palomar is a great hotel and a great base for a stay in LA.

To the reviewers who said that it was so far away from everything - what do you mean by everything? It is very close to the airport, a short drive to Hollywood/Beverly Hills etc., a slightly longer drive to the beaches - where else do you want to go? We walked everyday into the Westwood neighbourhood for great food/drinks and we also saw the opening of the Transformers movie and a concert by Lincoln Park all walking distance from our hotel.

To the reviewers who complained about parking costs - this is LA - it costs money to park at every hotel, restaurant etc. - just get used to it. We also got a discount on the valet parking because we hired a Prius which was nice.

To the reviewers who complained about the service - maybe you were rude and did not get the best service possible as we did, especially the lovely smiley valet parking attendants - they were so friendly and helpful and very sweet with our children.

Our kids loved the pool and we had a quiet room with a great view.

So if you are reading all of the reviews below and getting worried, I would say that those people who were so negative about the Palomar probably have a bad time everywhere they go. It is great. And free wireless broadband - who doesn't like that?

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Palomar-LA-Westwood, Managment at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2009

Dear Bertha_Brown,

I wanted to drop a quick note and thank you for your glowing review of the Palomar LA! Our teams truly appreciate your comments and are happy to be of service as it is our goal to exceed all our guest’s expectations. We are very fortunate to be near Westwood Village where you can find several Theaters that generally feature premiers a few times a month and If you come at the right time you can see all the hustle and bustle that goes along with it. We all were happy to read you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you soon! Next time your family is in town I would love to say hello, maybe I’ll see you at Wine Hour.

If I may be of further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I can be reached at 424.901.7262 or via email at sbohjalian@hotelpalomar.com

Reviewed June 18, 2009

We stayed at the Kimpton Hotel Palomar over the recent Memorial Day Weekend. We chose this hotel for its location close to Westwood, the UCLA campus and Beverly Hills and also because of the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor. This property is located on Wilshire Blvd. and sits among several high-rise residential properties. However, once you enter into the lobby, you would never know that you are on such a busy thoroughfare. During our stay, there were a few hiccups with the valet parking because we had to wait in line for the valet to take our car whenever we returned from our daily excursions. But even so, I must say that this is one of the few hotels (outside of NYC) that I have visited that seem to have a sufficient valet staff; our car was always waiting for us when we called down before heading downstairs. Our room was somewhat on the small size, but it was nicely decorated and was equipped with an acceptable flat panel HD TV, and an AC unit that kept the room cool during the heat of the day – that was a first for us. Other than that, the room was clean, comfortable and the housekeeping staff was superb. We initially had a few problems with the free wireless but that problem was quickly solved. I booked our room through Expedia and got a very nice rate for this grade of hotel, and I am glad to say that this hotel greatly exceeded my expectations. Sadly, we were never able to take advantage of the complimentary wine in the hotel bar nor did we check out the pool. Every member of the staff was professional and gracious and made us feel so welcome. We did have a rental car and if you stay at this hotel, you must have one if you plan on seeing the sights in L.A. This is a fabulous hotel if you would like to avoid the tourist crowds and you are not averse to exploring the local neighborhood on foot. We stayed for 3 days and were able to find an amazingly broad selection of restaurants and bars that were a short walk away in Westwood.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SLYCAST
Palomar-LA-Westwood, Managment at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2009

Dear Slycast,

Thank you very much for your recent review of the Palomar Los Angeles! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with our friends who follow TripAdvisor. Our team is dedicated to making your stay a memorable one and from your comments its seems we have met our goal! Please feel free to contact me directly for your next visit to Los Angeles, I would love to get you that glass of wine you folks missed out on during Wine Hour! There is plenty more to enjoy and discover so we hope to see you soon…

Reviewed June 17, 2009

This is a very comfortable hotel in an excellent location. We stayed here for four nights and had very few complaints. The staff treated us well. The decor was beautiful. The beds were very comfortable with terrific sheets. The TV was excellent. The rooms were well maintained and very clean. Happy Hour was fun (though not the best wines in the world). They have fresh coffee and tea in the morning available in the lobby. Try for an upper floor facing the south. if you're facing Wilshire Blvd., you will hear the traffic noise no matter how high up your room.

The exercise room is tricked out with lots of brand new whiz-bang machines. The pool is very small as is the entire pool area. There is an outdoor fireplace in the pool area which is a nice touch.

BTW, Boulevard 16, the restaurant in the hotel is excellent. Very nicely prepared food, but not too precious.

*Major Complaint: This has already been voiced by other reviewers--the cost of parking. It is the only option available and is ridiculously expensive.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Synthesis,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Palomar! It seems you liked our larger TV’s and the room décor. I know that the staff will be happy to know that you were able to take advantage of all the amenities the hotel has to offer including our hosted Wine Hour and Coffee service in the mornings. We are very fortunate to have a restaurant like Boulevard 16 that has a great feel to it and were happy you enjoyed their cuisine, I will be sure to pass along your great comments to our team in Blvd 16 as well!

See you soon!

Reviewed June 3, 2009

I have been all over the world and always stay in 4 star or better. I am a fan of this hotel group in DC , but my gosh what were they thinking and who runs this place? Service was not only poor , made me wait for an hour for a call back , when i asked them why the water was brown, eww!!, and my adjacent room for my friends as well. They took a bath and she screamed when it was full of brown and soot. eww!! i swore that it was my fault, but then after waiting the hour, i realized that they did not care, so i walked down, they said " we are busy now with other guests please leave the lobby area", yeah right!! i freaked out, they said "do you have a room with us? " i said, two actually , two suites at that!! the room service taste like they found the food out back in the garbage and re-served it to me... i always take blame when others are upset, with my friends that is, but this time , i demanded my money back.... they offered me another night stay, i declined and checked out, took them all to another location. Reputation and respect mean everything in the business that i am in. It should be in theirs too!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
6  Thank RichWorldTraveler
Palomar-LA-Westwood, Managment at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2009

Dear RichWorldTraveler,
Please accept my apologies for the challenges you had faced with your stay.

I have shared your review with our staff in efforts to improve the hotel’s operation. As a Kimpton Hotel we pride ourselves in exceeding our guest’s expectations and clearly we had fallen short here. We do however hope that another opportunity to serve you with the level of service you are accustom to and I know we are able to deliver is something you are open to.

If I may be of assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I can be reached at 424.901.7262 or via email at sbohjalian@hotelpalomar.com