“Wish there were more Kimptons ...”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills
Ranked #43 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Wish there were more Kimptons ...”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This chain never disappoints ... super clean and modern rooms, comfy beds and pillows, solid room service and outstanding service with a pleasant attitude throughout the property. Bonus points for the wine hour! Have opted for the nearby W before - mostly because of the spa - but would definitely choose the Palomar again (and just drive or walk over to the W). Zero complaints here ... just wish there were more Kimptons!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GM_HotelPalomar, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
We do too! We're very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us Ellen and thrilled that you love our brand as much as we do. We've also got a lot of exciting development coming up. Look forward to seeing Kimpton Hotels in cities such as Austin, Miami, Palm Springs and later this year Savannah just around the corner from you!

Thanks again and please come back soon.

Hotel Palomar LA - a very Kimpton Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Korean first
La Mesa, California
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Three women sharing one room. Could be a tad claustrophobic. But not at Hotel Palomar. Our room was, in a word, roomy. Two double beds, adequate closet space, and a great view. Helpful customer services touches. A free ride within three miles. Great when you want to go out to dinner, and walk back. Nice gym and pool. The wine hour from 5 - 6 pm was enjoyable. Spent Superbowl Sunday watching the game in an uncrowded bar eating oysters and drinking Scotch. Not a typical girl's night out, but enjoyable because the staff in the bar were so friendly and attentive.

The downside, of course, is there is no parking. It's $35 a night. But, that cost was probably made up in the wine hour each night. I would also say a possible improvement would be to ensure that if a room has three guests, they have three towels, and glasses for three each day. Also, a HUGE improvement in the room would be to have a mirror. Three women sharing a single mirror in a steamed up bathroom (no, the room didn't have an exhaust fan that could be switched on) does not facilitate a quick exit each day.

These minor inconveniences, however, would not stop me from staying here again when I visit LA. This is a great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room as high as possible. Ours was quiet and had a terrific view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
GM_HotelPalomar, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
That sounds like a great time! We're glad you chose your home to connect with your friends and very happy everyone enjoyed themselves. I also completely agree about the wonderful service in BLVD16. They are a very good group of people!

Also appreciate the feedback about our parking. We run regular parking surveys to ensure we're in line with the service we offer. I'm happy to report that we are; the importance is in the differentiators. We have secured, covered parking stalls with valet service available 24 hours a day. There certainly are private or public lots that have less expensive pricing, albeit with service or security to match.

Regarding the mirror, that's excellent feedback and we'll take a look at what our options are. Thanks again for all of the great comments and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 10, 2014

...and the Palomar Westwood consistently missed expectations during my girlfriend's and my recent stay.

How? Let me explain:

1. Before we arrived, I received an email from the hotel inviting me to send a photo, which they would print, frame, and have in the room to make us feel more at home. This was a nice touch, and I sent along a photo of the two of us. When we arrived, I found a very low-quality print, cropped so as to exclude much of my head. In the grand scheme of things, this was a minor detail, but it was a harbinger of things to come.

2. We checked in at around midnight Friday after a long trip from Seattle, and when we got to the room, we found that neither of our keycards worked. Again, not a huge deal, but not ideal. Our keycards also failed again the next day, and even the housekeeper couldn't get them to work, so we know it wasn't user error!

3. The cordless phone in the room was broken, which I mentioned to the front desk Friday night. They promised to send someone by the next day, which they did: the repairman arrived with a vigorous pounding on the door at 8AM the next morning. Since we'd not gotten to bed until 1AM, this was frustrating. Moreover, I spoke to the front desk Saturday to complain and asked that a word be given to the manager, who I subsequently never heard from.

4. The hotel has a free wine hour from 5-6PM. We'd missed it Saturday, and the front desk offered us two free drinks by way of apology for the 8AM phone repair visit. This was a nice gesture, but on arriving at the bar, we found that the offer was only good for the house wines, not the regular selection. The cabernet we ordered verged on undrinkable.

5. To accompany my subpar cabernet, I ordered a $16 ham and gruyere panini. I was surprised to find plasticky American cheese silently substituted for the gruyere.

6. We spoke to the front desk on three separate occasions during our stay, on the theory that the hotel would want to make things right. The staff didn't particularly seem to care, and the manager never followed up with me. Finally, as we were checking out, I asked the front desk point-blank to make some sort of an adjustment, and they took $25 off the bill. Thanks, but too little, too late.

I realize that none of the complaints here were catastrophic, and objectively, the Palomar is an aesthetically nice hotel (although with a bit too much animal print for my girlfriend's taste). However, at well over $300/night, I expected a much higher level of service, attention to detail, and responsiveness from the staff. On an expense account, maybe I'd let it slide, but we were paying our own way over the weekend, and it wasn't even remotely worth it.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DanielMyers
GM_HotelPalomar, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
I'm truly sorry we let you down, and would invite you to reach out to me directly at the hotel so we can work to make things right. Thanks for your feedback and we hope to hear from you soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have been meaning to write a review of the Palomar for some time as I've stayed here so often in the past year, and each time it has been an experience better than any other hotel I've stayed at in LA.

I travel constantly for work and for pleasure, and for better or worse I am a total hotel snob; which is why I chose the Palomar about a year ago. I initially found the Palomar by looking for hotels owned by the Kimpton brand, as a stay at one of their hotels is always superior to most.

There are so many reasons why I love this hotel, and why I would recommend it to anyone and everyone I know. I'll list a few...

1. The entire hotel staff. From the bellman to the hotel manager, and everyone in between, is incredibly professional and are all experts at their craft. I find it so nice to be around people that seem very happy in their job and that seem to truly want you to be happy too - no matter what it takes from them to make it so. Also, I want to note that because I've been here so much, they have treated me often with an incredibly gracious and sometimes wickedly clever perk that makes me feel so special and even more fiercely loyal to them.

2. The aesthetic. As I said I'm a bit of a "snob" when it comes to hotels, which of course includes my snobbery when judging a hotel's decor. This hotel is beautiful... it's VERY CLEAN, modern and tasteful. I feel at home here, only home made a little more perfect.

3. The food. Room service and/or appetizers at the bar/restaurant have never let me down. They have a really broad menu, which I appreciate, as I'm often too tired to venture out of my room for food. Also, they have a long list of places to order from and they always make sure that it arrives promptly to your room, with no request for you to come down to retrieve it in your sweats.

4. The location. I work on different sets and locations all over LA so I need to be centrally located and prefer of course staying at a place that I won't get stuck in an extra 30mn of traffic on the 405. I've found this hotel to offer a perfect commute, from the airport as well as to and from my various jobs.

5. InTouch. Again, I need to mention that this is a property and a hotel brand that believes in loyalty to their guests. I've been staying here at the Palomar consistently, and in other cities a Kimpton hotel is always my first hotel of choice, and trust me the perks that come along with being a member of their "InTouch" loyalty program, are a contributing factor. I highly recommend becoming an "InTouch" member on your first visit, as the points towards a free stay accumulate quickly, the "raid the minibar" $$ card towards your mini bar treat you get every time you check is killer, and the BEST part are the emails on a pretty regular basis that you'll get offering you special deals (REAL deals), even on your birthday!

Enjoy your next stay here, and as my husband would say, "You're welcome."

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JenBak
GM_HotelPalomar, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear JenBak,

My sincere thanks for such a heartfelt, kind review of our people and hotel. I'm incredibly proud to work with such a wonderful group of professionals and profoundly grateful for everything they do for our guests. They truly embody the Kimpton philosophy of service from the heart; thank you so much for recognizing that. Quite frankly, it means everything to us.

Thanks again and please come back soon.

Hotel Palomar LA - a very Kimpton Hotel
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Spent four nights here, this would not be my favorite kimpton but it was nice.

Pros- convenient location to Santa Monica, downtown, Hollywood, dodger stadium. Lots of restaurants of varying price ranges if you walk 15min. Don't understand the comments that there is nothing in the are - the ucla Westwood neighborhood has lots! We also bought food at Ralph's. Coffee and wine. Nice decor.

Cons - some troubles with the room (tv, iron) but fixed immediately. Room is small and would have loved queen size beds for the three of us. Parking is $$ for valet. Mood lightining in the elevator.

• Stayed January 2014
GM_HotelPalomar, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Thanks for joining us. I appreciate the feedback about our great neighborhood, as well as the cool lighting in our elevators! Have a great year and come see us again!

Hotel Palomar
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I am a devoted fan of the Kimpton hotels, and my stay at the Hotel Palomar in LA was no exception. It's in a great location though Wilshire Blvd can be a bit dicey to cross. We valeted the car the first night, but to save some money we were able to find street parking the next few nights. It was a very safe area.

The room was excellent, decorated similarly to other Hotel Palomars in the Kimpton brand. And the service was excellent. Kimpton was ranked 21 in Fortune's 100 Best Companies to work for in January 2014. That's their secret ingredient. Keep your staff happy, and that'll ensure happy guests as well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cecilia L
Thanks so much. More than anything about your review I'm so happy to see your acknowledgement of our 'Best Places to Work' designation. You couldn't be more correct in stating that it's our people that make the difference! Thank you again and please come back soon.

Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed January 29, 2014

The hotel room is very well located in Westside, a very nice and beautiful neighborhood in Los Angeles and just a few miles from Beverly Hills and not very far from Hollywood. A few blocks away, there are stores and niçe buildings from the 40's. The services are ok. The US$40,00 daily parking costs, included taxes, are very expensive, however there are not other choices in the area. Hotel services are very good and the room is clean and extremely well decorated.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Appreciate it, glad you had a good time. Also happy to hear the kind words about our lovely neighborhood. We love it too! Have a great winter and please come see us again.