“A well situated boutique hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills
Ranked #39 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This boutique hotel is situated on Wilshire near UCLA. Small in size but large in service. Everyone from the valets to the front desk and managers were friendly and helpful. Hotel also provides a town car for short trips when available. Only downside is the lack of a sundry shop on premises. There is a CVS within a mile. An easy walk. When looking for the CVS, a local couple asked if we were looking for Marilyn Monroe. "No, she's dead", I replied. The hotel is pet friendly with a welcome blackboard by the door listing the pet guests.. They also provide free morning coffee and happy hour wine for guests. We would stay there again and give the Palomar top marks.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Albert S, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Rockfsh808,

Who are you calling small? Well...at least you thought highly of the huge service we provide! Next time you're with us, let me know what you need from CVS, I'll get personally!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Kimpton really knows how to do it! Starting with the ease of the Kimpton's online booking, the experience was superior. Stayed a Sunday night to visit UCLA, and thankfully missed the bustling Bruin Day. Upon arrival (and departure) was greeted with not one, but two very courteous valets with friendly smiles. Could feel myself begin relaxing after a straight long drive from Nor Cal. Warm friendliness is the apparent standard, as the front desk staff and bellhop proved in their eagerness and smiles. Housekeeping was VERY prompt and friendly, as a TV remote (battery) and lamp (just didn't slide the foot pad completely) were inoperative. Great view from the 11th floor south-facing room: city, and Mormon church. Room was smaller than expected, but very quiet as requested, bed was "oh so comfy!" and slept so well. Shower head placed higher and had great flow. Dinner and again breakfast were both delicious and wait staff friendly. Very picky-eater daughter had the Caprese flatbread and linguine (without peas please) and she loved it so much she nearly inhaled it. I chose the sea bass, which was one of the best ever. Tender, perfectly seasoned with a crispy skin. Perfect! Ended with a delightfully yummy gelato and sorbet. Breakfast was equally delicious. Close to UCLA and Westwood. Early eve free wine service seemed popular (didn't indulge, but next time). Wish I had time to try the spa. I am a Rewards member so received a $10 gift card for the room's mini bar and room upgrade with nominal fee. Loved Fred, the water! Only negatives: $35 parking fee, inconsistent wi-fi. Best of all: teen-aged daughter was very happy!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear JTM,

It sounds like you had a bite from our new menu, yum!

I'm glad your daughter loved the flat bread and I agree with you, the sea bass is incredible! I was also happy to learn that our valet treated you well, they usually have the first and last opportunity to make an impression.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at a few Kimpton Hotels and we are huge fans. I booked the Hotel Palomar for a quick surprise weekend get-away for my husband's birthday. I wanted to add to the surprise by having some cupcakes waiting in the room for us upon our arrival. I contacted the concierge, Josue, who assisted me in finding a bakery that would deliver on short notice, and then arranged the order on my behalf. It may not have been the biggest request of such a knowledgeable and capable concierge such as Josue, but he handled each of my inquiries and requests as it was his top priority. When we arrived, not only where there cupcakes waiting, but additional surprises of snacks, and chilled beers and water for us, along with a handwritten note wishing my husband a happy birthday. We were also given a free room upgrade. I have come to expect amazing service from every employee I come into contact with at Kimpton Hotels, but the employees at the Hotel Palomar LA went above and beyond and made my husband feel valued and that someone genuinely cared about the little details that mean so much to their guests.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Albert S, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Deirdre,

Wow! It sounds like Josue really helped knock it out of the park with the cupcakes and snacks. It sounds like the service you experienced throughout our hotel and restaurant was chock full of genuine care...I hope your husband enjoyed his birthday and hope this is the beginning of an annual tradition.

I noticed you're from Santa Barbara...I hope you have an opportunity to try our newly launched restaurant "Finch and Fork" at our sister hotel the Canary Santa Barbara.

Hope to see you soon and let me know if I can help with reservations at any of our Kimpton hotels or restaurants.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We spent the past Saturday night at the hotel Palomar. The location is very close to the Hammer museum, UCLA, and westwood village. The Palomar has a free nightly wine service from 5-6 which is a nice surprise. Please make sure that you sign up for the free Kimpton Intouch club which will allow you to receive free wifi for all of your devices and a $10 raid the mini bar coupon.
The rooms at the kimpton are very nice and modern. There is also free coffee in the mornings which is fantastic. The tv's have almost 100 channels with both showtime and hbo. The parking is $35, but you are in LA. The neighborhood is very affluent and you feel safe walking around in the evenings.
The check-in process was a little delayed and slow, but once we were speaking with the front desk personnel everyone was very nice. We had the opportunity to spend some time with Edin during our visit to the hotel. He is in the first photo on the trip advisor. We have stayed in many hotel and have rarely found anyone as nice and helpful as Edin. Meeting him was one of the highlights of our visit and I wanted to recognize him, if the hotel reads this review.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Scotty,

I am so delighted you were able to enjoy some of our great touch points such as wine and coffee hour, definitely staples in our organization! I'm very grateful that you took the time to recognize Edin, thank you. He genuinely cares about our guests and pulls all the stops to make sure meaningful connections are made.

I hope to see you again soon and hope you have the opportunity to try the new menu in our restaurant, BLVD.16.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Only stayed here one night as the offered price went up substantially for the remainder of the week. $35 for parking is my only complaint. Other reviews suggesting nearby street parking but I didn't find any within a few minutes so decided to bite the bullet. If you are all fit, walking to Beverley Hills is an easy project, Westwood is even closer. We did both. Didn't try the restaurant as there are a multitude of great places nearby. Staff was very helpful. They offered wine in the lobby late afternoon.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Barry,

Thank you so much for the great review! You absolutely need to try our restaurant the next time you're in town, we just rolled out a new menu and it's getting rave reviews.

I know parking is a little expensive in our city but glad you didn't park on the street...tickets are higher than the nightly fee.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We booked this hotel for one night as I had an appointment at UCLA the next morning and the location was perfect for this. It also turns out, it's a good location to visit Hollywood and Beverly Hills as well.

The area itself is nice and the hotel is also nice. We don't have a pet but saw several people with their pets and thought it was cute. I had never stayed at a hotel that allowed pets before and didn't even know this one was like that until we checked in. There was no smell anywhere to be found, no "wet dog" or anything...and it was sparkling clean everywhere we went. That's really all that matters to us, so we were pleased.

The hotel lobby had a wine hour from 5-6 with complimentary wine which was nice. The room itself was nice, sorta trendy, and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was large and nice as well. The only real downside was the required valet parking for $35, in this area maybe that's standard but it seemed a little steep. Regardless, we would definitely go back to stay here in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Rob,

You mentioned our great location...were you able to walk to the village and enjoy the beautiful neighborhood? I hope so!

I'm glad you liked the rooms and as you mentioned in your review, we are pet friendly but certainly respectful to those who prefer to stay away from our furry friends. I

Come see us again soon!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We made our fourth visit to LA in March and this time stayed at the Kimpton in Westwood. Although we knew the area we found it quite isolated especially as we didn't have a car. The hotel itself was lovely as were the staff, the rooms were spacious and very comfortable and although we only ate in the restaurant once, for breakfast, we found it very pleasant. Unfortunately on the Saturday night the bar and restaurant were closed for a private function which meant that we had no option but to stay out. The Happy Hour is a nice touch but not one that we made use of as we were normally out between 5 and 6. One other nice feature was that a week before our stay the hotel e-mailed me to ask if I wanted to send them a picture of a loved one that they would then frame and have in our room when we arrived. I sent them a picture of our two year old granddaughter but didn’t tell my wife. I have stayed in many hotels around the world including Kimpton’s but have never been offered this service.

The downside of the hotel for us was the location, we also had very noisy neighbours on the Saturday night which prompted my wife to complain but this wasn’t the hotels fault. Also, I booked the hotel a few weeks in advance using a special pay up front, no refund deal through Kimpton but they didn’t take the money immediately and it took a couple of phone calls before they did by which time the pound had dropped over 10 cents against the dollar making our stay about £40 more expensive.

One piece of advice I would give is to join the Kimpton Loyalty Club, it is free and entitles you to free WiFi as well as receiving other offers.

I would definately recommend the hotel but probably wouldn't stay in that area again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Albert S, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dave,

Wrong location? It's the perfect location! We are in the middle of everything awesome in LA...Santa Monica, Hollywood, Downtown, Beverly Hills...our location couldn't b better.

That aside, I really appreciate the nod towards our great staff and service, nothing could make me happier!

Hope to see you again soon.

Cheers,

West Hollywood
Le Montrose Suite Hotel
Le Montrose Suite Hotel
#14 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!